hood for 2 burner stove - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #15

Trailer: Surfside 14
I hope Cyndi likes Greg's plan--I certainly do!

Could you describe the design of the outside exhaust/vent exit? I'd like to work out a low profile but weatherproof vent for two computer fans to a Surf Side that never had a stove vent.

Thank you

FM

Old 03-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #16

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1984 FiberStream
Pennsylvania
Registry
[quote]Hi Eric,
I think it may have been my range hood "mod" you're recalling. I didn't like the factory installed one. It just looked too big and clunky for this small of a galley area. I used a Wearever aluminum baking sheet (approx. 13" X 17"). I cut the back lip off so that it fit flush with the front face of the overhead cabinet, spray painted (primer and gloss white), drilled and riveted it in place, and sealed all the edges with white silicone sealant. I replaced the original vent fan (integral with the original range hood) with two 12 volt dc pancake computer fans. To wire the fans, I utilized the existing 12 volt wiring from the original light fixture of the original hood. The switch (right side of overhead cabinet) is just a simple on/off toggle switch. The fans work good and you can barely hear them when running. It really opened up the galley area considerably.

Attachment 18610

Yes! That's perfect! I probably have some leftover computer cases (with fans intact) I can use! AND the fans can't be more than 3 inches wide- works perfect! Very inventive!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #17

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Here's a link to find the exterior vent for the exhaust setup.<a href="http://www.ventline.com/Prod.asp?ID=5&ProdID=51" target="_blank">
</a>
http://www.ventline.com/Prod.asp?ID=5&ProdID=51
Attached Thumbnails
005.JPG   004.JPG  

Old 03-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Here's a link to find the exterior vent for the exhaust setup.

Thanks heaps, Greg. That's not too hard to approximate. Incidentally, did you engineer your fan mounting centres or go by instinct?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:47 AM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Thanx, Donna, for the link. Jogged my memory about the earlier 'backsplash' thread. And thanx to Greg for reposting his kitchen mod - great job. L 'n D
Old 03-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #20

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Francis,
The pancake fan mounting material (Starboard <sup>tm</sup>) piece was cut large enough to completely cover the rough opening created for the exterior vent hole. I sized the holes for the fans based on the size of the particular fans I used (I think that they may well be a pretty standard size, but I don't know that to be absolutely true). To mount the new fan board against the bulkhead, I used a couple of small 90 degree angle brackets, one on each side. I used screws to mount the angles to the Starboard material, and then drilled and pop-riveted the whole thing to the bulkhead surface. Please remember to not drill through too far so that you don't punch a hole all the way through the exterior fiberglass trailer wall. I only drilled through the interior backsplash fiberglass liner only. There is enough space between the two surfaces, due to the ubiquitous carpet bulkhead liner, to accommodate the rivet head between the two walls (inner and outer). Then, just caulk your seams with white silicone sealant to dress the edges for appearance and to prevent oily smoke and such from working its way under the board. Just makes it easier to wipe down and keep clean. Hope this helps.
Greg
Old 03-25-2009, 09:05 PM   #21

Excellent. Thanks, Greg.

I wondered actually why your fans were so close together but I think you answered by mentioning the rough opening size kind of setting the target zone.

Francis
Old 02-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #22

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Donna i knew you would come thru for me! It was this one and also Robs. This has a good idea for the heat with the cookie sheet and it looks nice too. Thanks so much!!!