Hooking up the Play Pac-trailer lights?????? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #43

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
So she is trying to use the 4 pin on her tv thru the 7 pin on her trailer and by pass the brakes and power lines and just want the lights and turn signals. This is the problem she has, correct?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #44

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
This is what she needs
Adapter 4 Pole to 7 Pole Vehicle End Trailer Connector Tow Ready Wiring 30717

Old 07-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #45

Trailer: 1973Playpac&1960Yellowstone
Florida
Cool your trailer lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
I am sorry... I did mean brake LIGHTS.
you have a bad ground I had to take an extra wire from the right light groun and run it over the left light ground wire.the ground system doesn't work very good in fiberglass you will find that out by checking with another wire from frame to test hope this helps your other Playpac freind in Florida,Jim&Donna
Old 07-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #46

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
This is what I have now. The volt meter shows tail lights getting power and a bunch of marker lights getting power. 2 marker lights have bulbs in them and light up. Both rail lights have new bulbs but even with volts getting to them, they don't light up. Is is a wiring issue??? Or just the light unit? Maybe If I get new light units it will work? Someone is looking at it now and says I need to rewire the entire thing. Just put it at floor level and cover it with wire hiders. I do not want to so this!!! This camper is in perfect condition and I don't want to go ruining things. All my interior electric works..... Ugh I wish I had the knowledge to do this!!
Attached Thumbnails
image-3134525476.jpg  
Old 07-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #47

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
This is what I have now. The volt meter shows tail lights getting power and a bunch of marker lights getting power. 2 marker lights have bulbs in them and light up. Both rail lights have new bulbs but even with volts getting to them, they don't light up. Is is a wiring issue??? Or just the light unit? Maybe If I get new light units it will work? Someone is looking at it now and says I need to rewire the entire thing. Just put it at floor level and cover it with wire hiders. I do not want to so this!!! This camper is in perfect condition and I don't want to go ruining things. All my interior electric works..... Ugh I wish I had the knowledge to do this!!
Hi, Meghan

Don't rewire just yet...
Let's see if we can go back in time a bit.
Please go out and look at the point where your trailer tow harness is connected to the trailer wiring. That point will be within a foot or so of wherever the harness enters the trailer interior.
A picture of that connection would be most instructive, but if that's not doable, look closely and determine whether the wires on both sides of the connection points are the same color: red-connected-to-red, etc. This will provide a clue as to whether the wiring has been seriously interfered with in the past.
Report Back!
And another question for when you do:

The voltmeter shows power at the tails- do they light up?
And if so, under which of the following circumstances?
1: you turn on the headlights.
2: you step on the brakes
3: you use a blinker.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #48

New York
Registry
Play Pac taillight problem

We are currently hooking up another tow vehicle to see if that makes a difference. Next step...buy a new light assembly and see if that matters...if not I have to just accept I live in an alternate universe where electricity dosent make things turn on
Old 07-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #49

Pennsylvania
Registry
You indicate that you know how to use a volt meter. You marker lights work but not your tail lights. Take the bulb out of the tail light and try your voltmeter with the positive to the middle and the negative to the socket side/ground. If not reading then you have a wiring issue from the tongue back to the tail light. If you have a reading then your bulbs are bad. If it were a ground issue, your markers would not work. Report back. then we can figure the brake lights.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #50

Trailer: 1973Playpac&1960Yellowstone
Florida
Cool tail lights

Quote:
We are currently hooking up another tow vehicle to see if that makes a difference. Next step...buy a new light assembly and see if that matters...if not I have to just accept I live in an alternate universe where electricity dosent make things turn on
if u got power to the lights it is a ground problem check by taking a wire and go from the frame to the light socket.Or just take a batery run 2 wires off it red hot black ground and test each light and see if they light up.I had a bad ground with ours it was aggrivation but I finaly figured it out just get a fan and sit down and check each light this way you will get it,Jim
Old 07-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #51

Registry
While Meghan's trying other TV's-
Am I reading this wrong, or is the four-flat ground connection below going to the center pin on the adapter Meghan bought? That point doesn't go anywhere in the Play-Pac, I'm pretty sure, unless somebody's put backup lights on it...
This is the instruction sheet she posted, on page one of this thread:
Old 07-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #52

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi, Meghan

Don't rewire just yet...
Let's see if we can go back in time a bit.
Please go out and look at the point where your trailer tow harness is connected to the trailer wiring. That point will be within a foot or so of wherever the harness enters the trailer interior.
A picture of that connection would be most instructive, but if that's not doable, look closely and determine whether the wires on both sides of the connection points are the same color: red-connected-to-red, etc. This will provide a clue as to whether the wiring has been seriously interfered with in the past.
Report Back!
And another question for when you do:

The voltmeter shows power at the tails- do they light up?
And if so, under which of the following circumstances?
1: you turn on the headlights.
2: you step on the brakes
3: you use a blinker.

Francesca

So there is no wiring harness. They are just wire bolted together. This might be a point to check. But there is power getting to the tail lights... when I have the tv headlights on. The bulbs wont light though. The volt meter goes up high...I dont know the number, but it goes way to the other side, showing lots of power going there
Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #53

New York
Registry
Thank You everyone! We seem to be making progress rather than just sitting here banging out heads. I am going through all the posts and telling my boyfriend what to do. He just reported in that the other tv got the same results as my original tv...so it isnt that. Someone just stopped by and said the tail lights arent factory because there is a missing heat shrunk connection. Boyfriend started taking it apart and sees some crossed wires, he is fixing them and will report in to me. I will try to go post by post and respond to all of you. Thanks so much!!! All this help is really what we needed!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #54

Registry
Progress!
The "pigtail" (thing with plug/wires that enters the trailer) is the wiring harness...
Where they're "bolted together", do the wires on each side of the "bolts" match?

And have you tried another tow vehicle that's already got the correct 7-pin plug, or just another 4-flat with the adapter you bought ?

Francesca
Old 07-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #55

New York
Registry
WE HAVE LIGHTS!!!!!!! We couldnt have done it without all your help! There were wires crossed. We still need to work on the marker lights, but with the heat we are taking a break. I think we might do alot of replacing of marker lights. But right now we can drive and signal which was the biggest hurdle.
I will let you know how we are making out...now to cool off with a big drink and and sit in front of the fan for a few
Old 07-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #56

Pennsylvania
Registry
ain't the beer cold!!! enjoy

Tags
lights