Hooking up the Play Pac-trailer lights?????? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #21

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
Well... We have discovered the lightbulbs for the brake/directional lights are not the right ones! Anyone know what I should use? I have 3 sizes that don't work!!!
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Meghan

I'm interested in the Play-Pac and I was looking at another thread here that I think you've posted in-
Was that you that said you've corresponded with the original builder?
If so, is it possible that he might be able to point you in the right direction about these troubles that you're having?
It's difficult for those of us unfamiliar with the brand to visualize what's going on with the trailer, and there seem to be so few of them out there...
Just a thought!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #23

New York
Registry
I did talk to him. He has paperwork in storage and based on what I have asked him before, I don't think this is something he would remember. So it is a few hours later and we have 2 marker lights working and the rest show intermittent power. I think the lights themselves need a cleaning or redo. I don't think it is wiring because they are on opposite ends of the trailer and I am sure the wiring is one loop or a strand on each side because they are so simple. Also the tail lights- brake lights have power going to them but the bulbs are forced in and the new ones I bought that are the same model won't fit, so I think we need new bulbs, just need to know what size. I think people who know about wiring/ lighting would know what I need to do. I might have to hunt down play pac owners and ask them to investigate a little for me
Old 07-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #24

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Here's my thoughts(having gotten the lights to work in my Scamp after some work). Probably need some dielectric grease for the bulb sockets. The metal corrodes after time and makes lousy electrical connections. (you can buy the dielectric grease at Radio shack and any good auto parts store). Look at your taillight sockets, should be either a single or double contact point on the bottom. I don't remember the numbers, but take the info about how many contact points to the auto parts store and they can get you the right bulbs. Clearance lights(the side lights) are notorious for 'wearing out'. I went to the local auto parts and replace them with led marker lights-still pretty cheap and burn cooler and use less amps. Once you get all the lights working, make sure they are wired correctly(as in left blinker blinks with left tow vehicle taillight). Amazing as it seems, they get wired wrong regularly. My scamp was rewired from 7 wire to 4 wire by the military(it is military surplus!)and wired completely wrong. Good luck
Old 07-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I'd like to make a suggestion. Take the trailer to somebody that understands, first, electricity, second, can read a schematic, third, knows trailer wiring.

One the issues I have with attempting to mess with it is it's possible to make thing worse. Electrical fires happen all the time in vehicles. It's pretty easy to create one. I would think it's worth the investment and piece of mind.

Sign me a retired electronic engineer.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #26

Registry

Now we're gettin' somewhere!

Francesca
Old 07-20-2011, 03:46 AM   #27

New York
Registry
Byron, I have made a few calls. Either nobody wants to touch it, they say it's simple I can do it, or they want to charge a ridiculous amount..... Gotto love loving in a small town. Not to mention the state has scheduled an inspection for Tuesday. If I miss it I have to pay $150 fee to reschedule.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:57 AM   #28

New York
Registry
Dennis, thanks for the great info! I hope I can at least get the correct tail light bulb in time for the big inspection. Following your advice today, thanks!!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
Byron, I have made a few calls. Either nobody wants to touch it, they say it's simple I can do it, or they want to charge a ridiculous amount..... Gotto love loving in a small town. Not to mention the state has scheduled an inspection for Tuesday. If I miss it I have to pay $150 fee to reschedule.

I believe these people are pretty close to you. The Trailer Connection
Good luck.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #30

New York
Registry
They are. I have called them several times and left a bunch of messages. We drove there yesterday after calling their one phone number to see if we could find out when they are open. We got there to see no hours posted on the door either, but we called and got their hours from another number. So we will be there again today. Based on peeking in the window they only sell utility trailers and don't carry stock.
My neighbor two doors down is a rv sales and supply store. He dosent return my calls and the one he did, he made it clear what he wants nothing to do with old" crap" there is a big place 30 min away. They want to charge $900 to install- not purchase an awning. I am not having alot of luck with this project
Old 07-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #31

Registry
Quote:
They are. I have called them several times and left a bunch of messages. We drove there yesterday after calling their one phone number to see if we could find out when they are open. We got there to see no hours posted on the door either, but we called and got their hours from another number. So we will be there again today. Based on peeking in the window they only sell utility trailers and don't carry stock.
My neighbor two doors down is a rv sales and supply store. He dosent return my calls and the one he did, he made it clear what he wants nothing to do with old" crap" there is a big place 30 min away. They want to charge $900 to install- not purchase an awning. I am not having alot of luck with this project
There hours are posted on their web site. I've had work done by utility trailer companies and been quite satisfied. However, an awning is a different matter.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #32

New York
Registry
Cool Thanks! We have their hours now and I sent my guy down to talk to them. My ex and dad do this kind of thing all the time. I cant see paying someone $10-30 an hour to attach new fixtures. It is a wire and fixture, not too complicated. I just need to find someone who can answer questions because they have done this before. I know people get all kinds of great advice here and do things way above my head just on people helping them out and giving advice. I have alot to do with this camper and I am so thankful for all the great people who help people out here
Old 07-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #33

New York
Registry
Update: "trailer connection" said they can't help us because they don't deal with campers. We have power to brakes and they say the right bulb, but still no light. We did the electric conducting paste stuff ( I forget what it was above) and still nothing . Any new ideas???
Old 07-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Update: "trailer connection" said they can't help us because they don't deal with campers. We have power to brakes and they say the right bulb, but still no light. We did the electric conducting paste stuff ( I forget what it was above) and still nothing . Any new ideas???
Do you mean power to the brakes (blue wire in trailer harness, or power to the brake/tail lights (brown and red wires in trailer harness)???

Francesca
Old 07-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #35

New York
Registry
I am sorry... I did mean brake LIGHTS.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #36

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Do you have brakes on the Play Pac? If not then use the 4 way adapter. You are trying to convert a 4 way to a 7 way and I do not think it will work, and if you do not have brakes not needed. Does play pac have a 4 way and your tow a 7 way? Is this what you are trying to connect?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #37

New York
Registry
I do have brakes- (not using them yet) the camper has 7 pin and my van is only 4 pin. Hence the adaptor
Old 07-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #38

New York
Registry
There is power to the brake lights and some of the marker lights, some markers work and have power some dont and some that test on multi meter for having power won't light the new bulb. The brake lights test on the multi meter for having power but the light bulbs won't light. Power is getting to them.....
Old 07-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #39

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
What you are trying to do will not work. You need a 7 pin connector installed on your tow vehicle. Do you have a brake controller installed on your tow vehicle? The 7 pin on your tow will incorporate the electric brakes to your trailer.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #40

New York
Registry
My tow vehicle has a 4 pin connector... do I have to hire someone to rewire my van just to have directionals to pass inspection?

Tags
lights