Hooking up the Play Pac-trailer lights?????? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Meghan's Avatar
 
Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Posts: 286
Registry
Hooking up the Play Pac-trailer lights??????

We are trying to put the play pac on the road and cant figutr out how to get the trailer lights to work. We have the 7 pin connector but nothing is working, no signal, brake, nothing. Where do I even start???? Thanks...I will have lots of questions getting ready for the big inspection on Tuesday!!! ugh
__________________

__________________
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Francesca Knowles's Avatar
 
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Posts: 4,543
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
We are trying to put the play pac on the road and cant figutr out how to get the trailer lights to work. We have the 7 pin connector but nothing is working, no signal, brake, nothing. Where do I even start???? Thanks...I will have lots of questions getting ready for the big inspection on Tuesday!!! ugh
Hi, Meghan

First thing I'd check, and you probably have, is the tow vehicle: have you used the 7-pin before and found that it works properly?
And if so, are you getting any electrical activity at the trailer, even a flicker?
If not, check all trailer connections, beginning with ground.
Come to think of it, check for a bad ground anyway- it's often the culprit in situations like this.

Francesca
__________________

__________________
.................................
Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Meghan's Avatar
 
Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Posts: 286
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi, Meghan

First thing I'd check, and you probably have, is the tow vehicle: have you used the 7-pin before and found that it works properly?
And if so, are you getting any electrical activity at the trailer, even a flicker?
If not, check all trailer connections, beginning with ground.
Come to think of it, check for a bad ground anyway- it's often the culprit in situations like this.

Francesca

The tow vehicle used the 4 pin and we have an adaptor to go from 4 to 7 pin. Just checked on the guys progress...he think he is doing something wrong, but no idea what.
__________________
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Francesca Knowles's Avatar
 
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Posts: 4,543
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
The tow vehicle used the 4 pin and we have an adaptor to go from 4 to 7 pin. Just checked on the guys progress...he think he is doing something wrong, but no idea what.
Hi, Meghan

If you've used the four-pin before and it worked properly, the problem must lie with how the trailer wiring is hooked up.
That's IF you've established that you have a proper ground.
Note that your four-pin will only supply lights, stoplights, and turn signals.
Does the trailer pigtail look original?
I ask because I'm surprised it has a 7-pin connector.
I thought Play-Pacs came without brakes...but I've been wrong before.
Lots of times!

Francesca
__________________
.................................
Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,309
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi, Meghan

If you've used the four-pin before and it worked properly, the problem must lie with how the trailer wiring is hooked up.
That's IF you've established that you have a proper ground.
Note that your four-pin will only supply lights, stoplights, and turn signals.
Does the trailer pigtail look original?
I ask because I'm surprised it has a 7-pin connector.
I thought Play-Pacs came without brakes...but I've been wrong before.
Lots of times!

Francesca
Note: If you want a charge wire you'll need at least 5 wires.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Meghan's Avatar
 
Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Posts: 286
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles

Hi, Meghan

If you've used the four-pin before and it worked properly, the problem must lie with how the trailer wiring is hooked up.
That's IF you've established that you have a proper ground.
Note that your four-pin will only supply lights, stoplights, and turn signals.
Does the trailer pigtail look original?
I ask because I'm surprised it has a 7-pin connector.
I thought Play-Pacs came without brakes...but I've been wrong before.
Lots of times!

Francesca
I'd does have brakes. We aren't hooking them up yet, someday when we tow with a possibly smaller tug. We will try to figure out I'd we have a proper ground. it isn't as easy as it aounds
__________________
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Meghan's Avatar
 
Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Posts: 286
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman

Note: If you want a charge wire you'll need at least 5 wires.
What is a charge wire? I apologize for being so nieve, my ex did all this stuff and I'm vlueless
__________________
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Posts: 3,052
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-wire-trailer-wiring.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	38037
__________________
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Meghan's Avatar
 
Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Posts: 286
Registry
This is what the instructions say. What is the beat way to see if I have a proper ground?
Attached Thumbnails
image-1605917118.jpg  
__________________
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Francesca Knowles's Avatar
 
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Posts: 4,543
Registry
Re the wiring diagram posted- I don't know if that's the right diagram for this trailer- that vintage usually used blue for brakes...
It could be this one...

OR
It could match the trailer end diagram here in the document center- it's indexed for Scamp, but my Trillium uses these paths, too
Fiberglass RV - Document Center - WiringDiagram_7-Pin_TrailerEnd


Only way to know is to check each wire..

And, Meghan- those instructions you just posted- are those for the adapter, or what???

Francesca
__________________
.................................
Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Francesca Knowles's Avatar
 
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Posts: 4,543
Registry
HMMM
On closer inspection...
I believe the two diagrams I posted are in fact the same wiring scheme- the color one must be looking straight on at the car end...

Francesca
__________________
.................................
Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Meghan's Avatar
 
Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Posts: 286
Registry
So power out of tug is good. I have an adaptor. What good so the diagrams do me while I am not getting power to anything??? I am sorry for not understanding. Any tups about ground???
__________________
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Francesca Knowles's Avatar
 
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Posts: 4,543
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
So power out of tug is good. I have an adaptor. What good so the diagrams do me while I am not getting power to anything??? I am sorry for not understanding. Any tups about ground???
Well-
If I'm reading this right, and those instructions are for your adapter...
I'm guessing your problem may be that the adapter is wired differently than the trailer.
Your instructions indicate that yellow is left, green is right, and brown is tail/stop.
The diagrams I posted (very likely how your trailer's wired) show that RED is left, BROWN is right, and GREEN is tail/stop.
And what's that language on those instructions about a "ground wire to the trailer frame" all about???

Francesca

__________________
.................................
Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Meghan's Avatar
 
Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Posts: 286
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Well-
If I'm reading this right, and those instructions are for your adapter...
I'm guessing your problem may be that the adapter is wired differently than the trailer.
Your instructions indicate that yellow is left, green is right, and brown is tail/stop.
The diagrams I posted (very likely how your trailer's wired) show that RED is left, BROWN is right, and GREEN is tail/stop.
And what's that language on those instructions about a "ground wire to the trailer frame" all about???

Francesca

If the wires didnt match up...ex green claims to power the turn lights on the adaptor, but green on trailer is for runners, wouldnt SOMETHING work??? Like we try to turn on running lights and signal lights go on? Like something should come on even if it is all crazy and not doing what it is supposed to do.
"Ground wire to trailer frame" well...what I know is 1. it was previously grounded to the frame and 2. I heard that is what I am supposed to do. Do you know different? 3. I cant find anything in the instructions about that, I see "Ground- white-attach to vehicle ground point"
*sigh*
__________________

__________________
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lights


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Play Pac Bonnie General Chat 161 06-24-2016 03:47 PM
1973 Play Pac Trailer For Sale $2950 Stephen T. Classified Archives 15 07-02-2011 10:32 PM
Play pac refridgerator Meghan Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 06-02-2011 06:40 AM
Pac and Play...so it begins Meghan General Chat 4 05-31-2011 12:17 PM
New (old) Play Pac owner. James McKnight General Chat 3 05-08-2010 07:51 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.