Hopefully help for a first time Scamp owner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #15
Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
RogerDat-thanks for clarifying what I was trying to say about the 'bounce'. You were much clearer.

Dennis Clinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Good post Roger.

Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #17
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Originally Posted by markism View Post
The jackstands were primarily to stabilize it while we're in it. I had a fun experience getting in the back to test it out and when a couple people walked back as well we tipped backward. I'll take a few measurements and see what I can find out.

Thanks for the help, I know I sounded a bit whiney in my last post I was just a bit crestfallen.

This is the jackstand that we have to keep trailer from tipping. Came with the trailer when we got it. Stand is 8" tall and the arm is just a bar welded to a nut that raises the big bolt going through the stand.

We get trailer level with front tongue jack, then lower it just a bit, put two of these under the rear bumper, adjust to just touching bumper then raise the front jack to put a little pressure on them.

Even without good suspension you can get away with local use on good roads for a little while to get some fun out of it while saving for an upgrade.

Looks like you need some bar keepers friend to scrub the trailer FG and the aluminum with, the results of that will get you over being crestfallen pretty quick. White pot scrubbing pad is also a good tool for clean up of the tough stains.

Here is a picture to give you some inspiration. Mine was in pretty rough shape when I got it and just cleaning and polishing (low cost work) made a world of difference.

It looked like your hinges were pretty worn sort of at an angle, did not see a door handle either. Did you know that scamp still sells these parts?

It's a special joy to bring one of the old ones back and it does not have to be a total gut and rebuild, just giving it some love to offset the neglect over the years can make a world of difference. It's a really neat camper, good luck!
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #18
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Mark no need to be crestfallen as the trailer is still very usable as long as the frame is solid. Lots of folks towing around old Scamps and Bolers that could use a new axle. Just take your time and start checking out prices around for one - and you will be ready for the day when you do have the funds to do it.

As I mentioned you can buy some interlocking leveling blocks and use those under the tires to get it up a bit in order to get the some small stabilizers under.

In the meantime get out and enjoy it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #19
Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Mark, I think you combined two thoughts into one question... "If I use the scissor jack, is it still safe to tow?" The scissor jack just slides under the tongue to use while camped. When finished, reverse the operation and store in your Scamp. It has nothing to do with towing. The axle may be safe for towing as long as your tires don't rub in the wheel wells. If you don't load it down too heavily while driving, you are probably OK. Use your tow vehicle as your storage place if you want to keep weight out of the Scamp. As noted earlier, there are a lot of old trailers out there that ride low. Check it for safety and use it until you have the money for axle upgrades.

By the way, I also use a couple scissor jacks to stabilize under the rear
bumper, too. You can get them really low and crank them up to the desired height.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #20
Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Mark, seems like you are getting good advise.

From the photos, I'd think the jack stands you have are too tall for the trailer. I'd not put anything under the wood floor, just the metal frame work under the Scamp to jack up or put pressure on.

Your jack stands might work placing them under the bumper.

You can replace the tongue jack (not too expensively), such as:
1000 Lb. Swing-Back Trailer Jack
If you need to get the tongue down lower in front. We had to drop our tongue down almost to the ground to level it out at one campground this summer.

A Scissor Jack could work, such as:
Scissor Jack - 1-1/2 Ton

Again, don't stabilize or jack the wood floor. Use only the Steel "Struts" or Frame for that.

Just one Scissor Jack in the middle of the Bumper should keep it from leaping up in front. Our Scamp salesman at the factory said he had ridden down in the 13s many a time. Needs something back there.

Ours have built on stabilizers on back:
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #21
Name: Mark
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Sorry for the late reply everyone. Your advice has been great! And has made me confident that we can move forward and slowly transform this little guy into our little slice of home we can take anywhere.

Again, the community here is one of the reasons I decided to take the leap and try out one of these.

Thanks again for your time,

markism is offline   Reply With Quote