Hopefully help for a first time Scamp owner - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Hopefully help for a first time Scamp owner

Hello everyone,

I have what I hope is an extremely simple question. I have a 1976 13' Scamp. When I lower the tongue (not sure if I'm using the right term), the portion with the jack on it.

When I took the jack off my ball and hitch for the first time everything seemed fine. I lowered the jack and everything worked correctly until I reached a point about 2/3 of the way down. The jack refused to lower anymore and in fact I could tell it apparently wasn't used below that point as the paint was scraped off to that point and I also used paint remover to clear the rest off as well as a generous amount of WD-40.

My main question is two-fold. First, is it supposed to go lower than that? If not, how do you get the supports under the back of the camper? The only way I can even fit them under the camper at that angle is to push against the wood which I'm assuming isn't good. And even then it's a really tight fit and I know it's not a good idea to actually jack the trailer off the ground to level it.

Any help you can give me is much appreciated. If you need more information please let me know.

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #2

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Mark not sure how but your question has popped up on two threads. The first one appears here to save you from keeping tabs on two threads you may want to delete one.

You may not get many responses until Tuesday to your question - folks are out enjoying the last long week-end of summer.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #3

Oklahoma
That was actually my fault. I realized there was a section for owners helping owners and thought this might be more appropriate.

No bumper stabilizers anywhere I can see.

Here are a few pics that can give everyone a better picture of what's going on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120902_182242.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	50684

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120902_182300.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	50685
Old 09-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #4

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Hi Mark,
My '84 Scamp doesn't have a wheel on the tongue jack, just a flat plate. Can you remove the wheel? That might give you another few inches to lower the front in order to get jacks under the rear bumper.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Looks like your axle is worn and the trailer sets too low, the tongue jack is probably at it's limit of travel, and your support jacks are too tall. A combination of problems.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I agree with what Mary and Bob said, it looks like your axle is no longer supporting your trailer. Unfortunately: a) this is common on older Scamps, b) It takes an entire new axle to fix, c) the axle assy is welded in place on most Scamps and d) it's a real PITA.... Good Luck
Old 09-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #7

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
With a trailer that old, you should not be surprised if the tongue jack doesn't work at 100%. My 1986 jack has a mind of it's own,too. You will also find that if it's even working perfectly, the ground may not be level enough or the axle strong enough to get the trailer level with just the tongue jack. Therefore, I carry a scissor jack to handle the rest of the lowering operation. I put the scissor jack under the tongue ahead of the crank jack, lower the crank jack until the tongue is resting on the scissor jack, then move the scissor jack up until the tongue jack clears the ground. I then rotate the tongue jack up to horizontal, and continue lowering the tongue with the scissor jack. On some uneven ground, I almost get the scissor jack down to completely flat before the trailer is level. You will need to experiment as to how far to go to get your back supports under the rear frame. This will work for you at least until you get a new tongue jack ( or for sloping ground) or a higher riding axle. Temporary, cheap solution is the scissor jack.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Thank you so much for all the help and comments. This really is a great community! It's one of the reasons in fact that I got interested in this style of camper.

If I did use the scissor jack would it still be safe to tow?
Old 09-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #9

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Instead of the auto jack stands(which are too tall for the trailer frame), Camping World(and most RV places) sell a support which screws up in the center-available in two heights. They are pretty cheap.

As to your question "is it safe to tow?"-Is there any flex on the torsion axle? If someone jumps inside the trailer, does the body go up and down over the axle? The best/safest thing to do is replace the axle assembly-most good RV or welding shops can do it for you.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #10

Oklahoma
I jumped on the middle over the axle and of course the whole camper moved. I didn't feel the floor buckle or anything though.

I figured replacing the axle would probably be the "right" thing to do.

Now to figure out how to pay for that. We saved for quite a while to get one in the price range we needed, but I should have been more knowledgeable in the first place.

The gentleman that sold it had it for more than 10 years and it was easy to see he wasn't trying to swindle us in the least. He was giving it up because his grown up kids didn't want to camp anymore. Ah well, live and learn.

Thanks again for your generous help and suggestions.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #11

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Dennis, if there is movement when Mark jumps up and down over the axle, is that a bad thing or a good thing?
Sorry for the dumb question.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
What people are suggesting to test the axle is really testing the suspension, which is inside the axle. The wheels are on an arm that allows the wheels to move up and down. The suspension is rubber bar inside the main axle tube. The rubber "twists" to provide torsion for the arm.

You need to have one person do the bouncing while you watch under the trailer. Look at the arms that the tires are mounted to. They should be moving up and down. At least a little. There is another test involving how much room is there above the tire to the wheel well. If the rubber is shot the tire will ride really close.

These old scamps did sit low, that said it's also really old and the rubber does wear out. I talked to a trailer builder and he said around $600 to replace the axle with a new torflex that would take larger tires and up the ground clearance a bit. YMMV

Why are you trying to put jack stands under it? Is it to work on the underside or just have it level and stable when your inside?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #13

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
I agree it looks a little low / probably need an axle. In the mean time you could drive it up onto blocks to raise the whole trailer. Your floor at the door should be about 10" off the ground and you should have at least 3" clearance between the top of the tire and the wheel well.

Lil,
Yes, movement is a good thing, but it should be the right amount for the right reasons.
The first few posts in this thread will give you an idea of what to look for:
Replacing an Axle - leading arm to trailing arm
Sometimes the bounce is due to the tires not the axle.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #14

Oklahoma
The jackstands were primarily to stabilize it while we're in it. I had a fun experience getting in the back to test it out and when a couple people walked back as well we tipped backward. I'll take a few measurements and see what I can find out.

Thanks for the help, I know I sounded a bit whiney in my last post I was just a bit crestfallen.