Hot water? Battery - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #1

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Hot water? Battery

Hello. Brand new Snoozy owner here/ About how long can one run the bathroom light and one portal light(added extra) We've been turningon the generator every time we want to have more than 2 lights going.

Also, how does one turn on the hot water heater? We seem to get cold wate rno matter what we do.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Hi Mitzi, and congratulations on getting your new Snoozy. You should be able to get many hours of light usage from your battery prior to needing to run the generator. To take the guess work out of how long or how many lights can you run for how long, I would suggest you go to Wal-Mart or an RV store and purchase a volt meter that plugs into the 12 volt outlet (looks like a cigarette lighter socket) and run your generator when your battery voltage shows 12.5 volts with everything turned off. 12.5 volts is approximately 50% discharge state of your battery, which you should never go beyond if you want to get the longest service from your battery.
The water heater takes approximately 20-30 minutes to fully heat the water after initially plugging into shore power or generator power. Make sure that the water tank is full prior to trying to turning on the water heater, by opening only the hot water faucet letting the water run until no air comes out. If the water tank was empty when turned on to heat water that wasn't there, the heating element would be damaged, and would have to be replaced. To trouble shoot, check to see that the water heater is plugged in,(our 2014 is under the bed just to the left of the inside door) and that the circuit breaker is in the "on" position. You should contact the folks at Lil Snoozy if thes procedures do not solve your problem.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:14 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Battery will last approx. 8 times as long with LED bulbs . Check what you have and if not LED replace them- they are expensive but cheaper and less annoying than running a generator!!!! I use two or three lights all evening and have never come close to running down the battery- I just charge it up the next day with a little solar panel.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:32 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have camped for 2 to 3 days off grid without charging our single 27F battery. We've run our LED lights , radio , fantastic fan , refrigerator and furnace without issue. We normally recharge our battery every other day using a 100 watt solar panel .
The only time we have used a generator to recharge our battery was when it rained for almost 3 days straight.
We are not generator people so our style of camping is designed to work with solar.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:20 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
You can run your Fridge on the 12volt system or are you running it on propane?
If I put my fridge to 12volt the group31 battery will be discharged in about 4 hours.
I do run the LED lights and furnace for about 3 days before the battery needs recharging which I do with my solar panels
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #6

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I have a 12 volt truckfridge refrigerator. All the lights are LEDS. David- We can't FIND an switch other than at the breaker paneml. We have tried to fill the fresh water but in has 2 inlets, one for non-pressurized water, one with filter screen.we've run water into both.
I guess I'll be calling Snoozy today.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:36 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
You can run your Fridge on the 12volt system or are you running it on propane?
If I put my fridge to 12volt the group31 battery will be discharged in about 4 hours.
I do run the LED lights and furnace for about 3 days before the battery needs recharging which I do with my solar panels
Not sure to whom you are directing your question . We run our refrigerator on propane when off grid . Our refrigerator does have an electronic control board that requires 12VDC when running on propane.
Running the refrigerator on 12 VDC when off grid would require far more solar and battery capacity than is practical /feasible .

For us solar is not a replacement / substitute for propane when camping without hookups . We own an inverter, but it's still in the box unopened . Not a fan of generators , don't like the noise and the smell of exhaust , plus we want to be respectful of others .
In the summer if we camp when it's hot we camp at a site with electricity. Luckily in our part of the country we only had 2 days in the 90's last summer , which is two too many for my liking.

HAPPY NEW YEARS
Steve D
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
I have a 12 volt truckfridge refrigerator. All the lights are LEDS. David- We can't FIND an switch other than at the breaker paneml. We have tried to fill the fresh water but in has 2 inlets, one for non-pressurized water, one with filter screen.we've run water into both.
I guess I'll be calling Snoozy today.
Mitzi, the "switch" I was referring to was the breaker switch, but did you actually check to see if the water heater is truly plugged into the wall socket under the bed. Ours was unplugged so one would not accidentally power up an empty water tank, which would result ruining the heating element. Either water inlet will fill the water tank if you open the hot water faucet to expel the air.
Dave
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have camped for 2 to 3 days off grid without charging our single 27F battery. We've run our LED lights , radio , fantastic fan , refrigerator and furnace without issue. We normally recharge our battery every other day using a 100 watt solar panel .
The only time we have used a generator to recharge our battery was when it rained for almost 3 days straight.
We are not generator people so our style of camping is designed to work with solar.
It sounded like it was implied that you were running as said above.
"LED lights, radio, fantastic fan, refrigerator and furnace without issue"
With your "single 27F battery for 2 to 3 days"

Thanks for clearing it up that the fridge is on propane.

Good point about making sure water tank is full of water before trying to heat with Electric or even Propane. I can ruin your tank or eliment quick.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery