hot water heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
I have taken the trailer out twice now, enough to know i want a hot water heater. The 2 burner stove is not enough to cook and heat hot water. Has anyone managed to adapt the coleman hot water on demand into the trailer? I am trying to avoid that one b/c of it's size. Ideally i'd like something that is space saving, can be connected directly to the main propane tank or the electrical, and will hide under the sink. (electrical will eventually run off solar) Any ideas? I saw this one (see photo), but haven't yet got any details on what brand it is, or how it was hooked up. Thanks a lot. I hope that photo comes through, i am not sure if i did it correctly
Attached Thumbnails
029.JPG  
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
That unit is a Emerson Electric co. In-Sink-Erator instant hot water heater, Model "Hot 1" Read about it at
http://www.insinkerator.com/product/produc...mp;template=hwd
It runs off off 110 volts only. It will produce1/3 gal. up to 40 cups of of 190deg. F water per hour.
I installed one in our Boler about 4 years ago and I am very happy with it. Great to wash a few dishes or a quick cup of coffee or soup.
I paid about $169 for it at Home Depot. Careful shopping my get you a better price.
As we don't go boon docking and have always stay where there is 110v. power it is ideal. If we want to stop for lunch when we are on the road, we can use the propane stove. Propane heats up the kettle pretty quick!
As far as the Coleman hot water heater I can't give you any comments on it. I see they have them at Canadian Tire.

Oh! One other thing. I added a "tee" in the city water line for the hot water heater.
You also need a special brass connector for 1/4"copper line to plastic tubing which I picked up at a hydraulic systems suppler.

The only disadvantage is some place you can really taste the chlorine in the water.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler_05.jpg  
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Most of my camp cooking has been on a single burner stove. Two burners seem are really nice to have. More than that or a hot water heater would be more I need.
My point is you might consider cooking a bit differently.
One pot meals are easy, tasty, and don't take a ton of fuel and time to cook. One burner does the trick.

If you're thinking of heating water with battery power and solar, you might want to rethink that. It takes a lot energy to "heat" anything.

Byron
Old 06-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
That unit is a Emerson Electric co. In-Sink-Erator instant hot water heater, Model "Hot 1" Read about it at
http://www.insinkerator.com/product/produc...mp;template=hwd
It runs off off 110 volts only. It will produce1/3 gal. up to 40 cups of of 190deg. F water per hour.
I installed one in our Boler about 4 years ago and I am very happy with it. Great to wash a few dishes or a quick cup of coffee or soup.
I paid about $169 for it at Home Depot. Careful shopping my get you a better price.
As we don't go boon docking and have always stay where there is 110v. power it is ideal. If we want to stop for lunch when we are on the road, we can use the propane stove. Propane heats up the kettle pretty quick!
As far as the Coleman hot water heater I can't give you any comments on it. I see they have them at Canadian Tire.

Oh! One other thing. I added a "tee" in the city water line for the hot water heater.
You also need a special brass connector for 1/4"copper line to plastic tubing which I picked up at a hydraulic systems suppler.

The only disadvantage is some place you can really taste the chlorine in the water.
Thanks for that. I wont always be where there is 110 though, so i will have to hope the solar will be enough. So far that is my favorite looking hot water heater, nice to hear it works well too. I will save that link, thanks
Old 06-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Most of my camp cooking has been on a single burner stove. Two burners seem are really nice to have. More than that or a hot water heater would be more I need.
My point is you might consider cooking a bit differently.
One pot meals are easy, tasty, and don't take a ton of fuel and time to cook. One burner does the trick.

If you're thinking of heating water with battery power and solar, you might want to rethink that. It takes a lot energy to "heat" anything.

Byron
My roughing it days are over Camping has always been about food for me, the more gourmet the better. In reality its the only time i have have the time or energy to cook well. I eat one pot meals at home!!!!!!!!! (not all the time- but that can happen-or cereal) The cushier i can get the trailer the better.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
We use a 35 cup coffee pot from a yard sale. We put it on a table outside the trailer and it's hot all the time when on 110v.
It COULD be run of the inverter I guess, but not all the time.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
If you're going to primarily be boon docking you'll probably need to find a propane solution for the water heater. That insinkerator draws some pretty heavy amps (almost 5A) to be supplying with a solar/battery system in addition to all the other "cushy" items you may want to be able to plug in.

There are some good solar worksheets available where you can calculate how much system you'll need to run what you are wanting:
Solar Worksheet
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
We use a 35 cup coffee pot from a yard sale. We put it on a table outside the trailer and it's hot all the time when on 110v.
It COULD be run of the inverter I guess, but not all the time.
That's a good idea! I wouldnt have thought of that.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:08 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
If you're going to primarily be boon docking you'll probably need to find a propane solution for the water heater. That insinkerator draws some pretty heavy amps (almost 5A) to be supplying with a solar/battery system in addition to all the other "cushy" items you may want to be able to plug in.

There are some good solar worksheets available where you can calculate how much system you'll need to run what you are wanting:
Solar Worksheet
I had thought that the one i saw ran off propane, but maybe not. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the link. Lucky for me i have both an electric and stove top cappuccino machine I dont think i use that much power, i'm sure the battery or solar would be plenty. It just bugs me to have to cook with both burners and make tea at the same time. it's totally not necessary, just a luxurious convenience that i'd like to shoot for. I dont understand the microwave in trailers, but we all have our vices.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
My wife stuck four ears of corn into our "water heater" ( 32-35 cup coffee maker) to soak before we tossed them on the grill last weekend, and when she pulled the out she said "you know, I think they are already cooked!" Sure enough, I threw them on the fire for some additional flavor.

Another use how about that?
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #11

Name: Kirsten
Trailer: Burro
California
propane water heater?

Am still interested in anyone's answers to the "just propane" water heater. I prefer to boondock when possible, but hot water is wonderful. Last time out I used my solar showers for rinsing dishes. Warm, but not hot. The only real hot water comes from my kettle on the stove and there ought to be a way to do this under the sink or on top of the propane tank...or?
Thanks,
Kirsten
kirsten88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There is always the portable propane water heater to be used outdoors Portable Tankless Propane Water Heater | Overstock.com