hot water heater not heating - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #1

Name: Ann
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
hot water heater not heating

I finally got the anode back in and it is holding but now the hot water heater doesn't seem to be heating on shore power. It did fill up with water and I switched the switch on the outside of it to on but no hot water. Any suggestions? I also checked the breaker panel to be sure it was on.

Thanks,
Ann
asmckinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:14 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Have you tried it on propane? Does that work?
When you filled it did you open the relief valve ( top centre in pix ) so you could see water coming out and know that it is full?
I don't have electric so that's all I have to offer.
Attached Thumbnails
anode relief valve.jpg   anode relief valve open.jpg  

Old 02-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmckinl View Post
I finally got the anode back in and it is holding but now the hot water heater doesn't seem to be heating on shore power. It did fill up with water and I switched the switch on the outside of it to on but no hot water. Any suggestions? I also checked the breaker panel to be sure it was on.

Thanks,
Ann
1) Bad heating element
2) Tripped high limit
3) Bad unit switch
4) Bad connections / loose splices - terminations
5) Bad water heater circuit breaker
6) Defective/ turned off main circuit breaker
7) Bad thermostat
8) NO 120V AC power.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:10 PM   #4

Name: Ann
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Glenn: I have not tried propane. I will try that tomorrow. I checked the pressure valve and it does have water in it. Thank you.

Steve:
Lordy so many variables! I do know the trailer has power but not sure about bad breaker and the other things you mentioned. This Casita is new to me and I've never used the hwh. I'm just now learning. It's a 2003. Guess I should try propane first. Thanks.

I'll keep you posted. Does the hwh have an element or is as mysterious to me as the propane refig?LOL
asmckinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:25 PM   #5

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Glenn: I have not tried propane. I will try that tomorrow. I checked the pressure valve and it does have water in it. Thank you.

Steve:
Lordy so many variables! I do know the trailer has power but not sure about bad breaker and the other things you mentioned. This Casita is new to me and I've never used the hwh. I'm just now learning. It's a 2003. Guess I should try propane first. Thanks.

I'll keep you posted. Does the hwh have an element or is as mysterious to me as the propane refig?LOL
I believe in 2003 , the Casita water heaters were propane only and not dual fuel. If your water heater is dual fuel then you will have an electric heating element . The element can be accessed by removing the propane burner tube and then removing the 3 screws that hold the plastic element cover in place . This will expose the element terminals
You can then test the element with an ohm meter.
If the element is bad you will need a socket wrench to unscrew the element from the tank . If it is the original element it may be difficult to remove.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I had one of those retrofit kits and it never worked. Kept tripping the ground fault.
Yes, I tried everything.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:15 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This may be a dumb question, but guys, yall sure she doesnt have a "DSI" water heater? If so, it would HAVE to run on propane..,.but start with the electronic ignition. Just curious...
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:38 AM   #8

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If the electric was on even for a short while with no water in the tank then it will Burn out nearly instantly.

A quick check with a ohm meter would tell.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #9

Darwin....what "retrofit" kit do you speak of? I have the "HottRod" I added to my 6gal Atwood and LOVE it and wouldnt be without it now. In fact, I have taken off the propane from my Scamp. (I still have it where I can attach the tank back and be ready for propane in about 10 min)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
I had one of those retrofit kits and it never worked. Kept tripping the ground fault.
Yes, I tried everything.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #10

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If the Hot Rod is tripping the gfci then there is a problem with either it or the wiring.
The Heating Element may have leakage currents or the ground and neutral are shorted or swapped.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #11

Ann,

Is there ANY way you could take a snapshot of your water heater like Glenn B. did and post it here for us to see? I"m really confused on what you DO have.

Quote:

Thanks,
Ann
Old 02-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

Thanks,
Ann
Just turn on the pump and open the hot water tap to confirm a full water heater.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #13

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:

Thanks,
Ann
:Yep element is gone but make sure you empty the water from it b4 you try to remove it. or it could be the Thermocoupler that is gone?
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #14

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:Yep element is gone but make sure you empty the water from it b4 you try to remove it. or it could be the Thermocoupler that is gone?
Stude
Heating elenent= Electric
Thermocouple = Gas