On our outing in March the (electric ignition) hot water heater seemed a little fussy to start, and it had been so before on previous trips. I had intended to look at it when we were back home but I forgot about it completely.
Over the May 18 weekend the hot water heater failed to start altogether and I remembered the problems we had the previous times. On inspection I noticed the T-Stat tab had rusted through and broken off.
I had imagined an expensive fix at a dealer, but with a bit of research I realized it was an easy fix to peel back the protective rubber covering of what I now know as the thermostat, replace it and the thermal cut off fuse (it looked worn) at the same time. 5 minutes in all.