How & Where to install a TV in Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #1

Name: Pat
Trailer: 1999 Scamp
Missouri
How & Where to install a TV in Scamp

I just bought a 1999 16ft Scamp. I would like a small flatscreen TV in it. Any advice for what location works best? Will I need to add a wood post to attach a swing arm to? What things/parts do I need to make a TV work inside my camper? Will it work without an attenna on top? I am completely new to all this as you can see. Any advice. Thanks so much!
Pat Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Pat, welcome to FiberglassRV. I don't typically carry a TV in my trailer, but understand there are those that do. So, I'll leave that discussion to the experts, but wanted to take the time to welcome to the forums. You'll find lots of help here.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We place our TV in the Driver's side rear corner. There it is viewable from the bed and from the couch.

We carry a satellite dish, mostly because we're gone for very long stretches of time. Therefore we have no antenna. Others on the site have experience with that.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #4

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
I have seen some mount a two or tree piece pole to a mount on the rear bumper, and @ the belly band another attachment to help stabilize the system. Maybe someone here has a picture that would be worth, well a 1,000 words.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Hi Pat and welcome.where in Mo are you?

The spot where you mount the TV will depend somewhat on which 16' Scamp layout you have,do you know?
The spot Norm uses will be OK if you have the same layout that he does but would not be the best if you have the Side Dinette layout for example.

Regardless where the TV goes yo can not really use an inside antenna in your Scamp as there is metal foil insulation inside the walls under the "Rat Fur" covering the walls.
This prevents any inside antenna from getting the job done.

So that leaves you needing an antenna outside either on the roof or somewhere else.
How you do it just depends on your needs and how you see the nuisance factor of an antenna that you need to put in place each time you park but that you can more easily adjust for best performance or the convenience of a roof mounted one that may be more limited in performance but a lot easier to live with?

I would suggest searching here and reading about this as this is one of the most talked about subjects on here. There are lots of posts and pictures to give you some ideas.

Make Sense?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
don't be in a hurry for now. camp a bit and check out what others are using. that way when you do decide you will have some practicle experiances to work from.
plus,,,,by then you may find out your not missing having it and spend that money on something else,,,,say a romantic camping trip for two????
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #7

Michigan
two other options,,, a lap top computer or a portable dvd player.
both can play movies for you and no worries about an antenna.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We used the top part of the closet for the tv and radio/dvd, built a wooden insert with the mount in it. The cable hookup is on the outside of the camper and will also accomodate an antenna. The TV goes back into the closet where the 12 volt and 110 plug are. We made a padded cover with snaps for travel.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0008.jpg   IMG_0010.jpg  

IMG_0012.jpg   IMG_0004.jpg  

casey67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #9

Does anyone know why I changed to "commercial member"? I'm not and don't know how it changed.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Does anyone know why I changed to "commercial member"? I'm not and don't know how it changed.
There should be an explanation in your PM mailbox, Larry. Some icons were added to identify members with goods and services who might be interested in posting in a dedicated forum. If this is an error, you can mail an administrator or visit the Help desk.

Regards,

Matt
Old 03-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #11

Thanks for the info. I have no PM with explanation. I sent an email to one of the administrators. I couldn't find where to access the help desk.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
So sorry, Larry. Yours is a similar username to "Larry,C" who requested the commercial member status. We'll get it straightened out, ASAP. Thanks for the heads up!!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #13

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Coby makes under-cabinet HDTV/DVD/AM/FM units that fit very well in our Scamp 5er kitchen and runs on 12v. Ours is a 10" unit; they also make a 15" and 7" units that sit on the same base. Some additional details are on our install are listed in this post.

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I mounted mine on the overhead bin at the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
09-10-10 20_34_DSC0109.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #15

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Swivel mount on aft driver's side upper locker. Can see in bed; wife can see from her seat in front dinette. I can also if I sit in her seat. "Ancient" antenna (probably at least 10 yrs. old) with plastic shell that looks like the starship Enterprise; signal booster under the sink; co-ax and co-ax thru hulls.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #16

Missouri
Thanks for the warm Welcome Donna. You're right! I see a lot of suggestions here. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #17

Missouri
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
two other options,,, a lap top computer or a portable dvd player.
both can play movies for you and no worries about an antenna.
I wondered about this too. Might be the cheapest and easiest right now. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #18

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Phil View Post
I wondered about this too. Might be the cheapest and easiest right now. Thanks.
ok heres what i found out.
first wifey decided to get her a new laptop,,,so thats one less choice i had to make,,,,lol.
but! this is the cool part.
it has wifi of course. we can watch videos, listen to music and play with travel pictures we take and do all the normal computer stuff. plus. wifi connections are easy to find while traveling. truck stops have them, you can pull into the parking lot of a hotel and hook in, you can go to many restraunts and such and even schools and colleges have hot spots,,,and of course any coffee shop.
can't connect in the woods of course. but eventualy you will go into town for groceries or something.
one more thing we found while traveling last week, some hotel chains are now instaling r.v. pads. the place we stopped in walker minn. on our way to get our scamp had about 24 pads. nice patio,complete hookup. even a pretty yard light. ideal for when your going somewhere and need a spot to spend the night.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Phil View Post
I just bought a 1999 16ft Scamp. I would like a small flatscreen TV in it. Any advice for what location works best? Will I need to add a wood post to attach a swing arm to? What things/parts do I need to make a TV work inside my camper? Will it work without an attenna on top? I am completely new to all this as you can see. Any advice. Thanks so much!
We attached ours to the side of the tower on the dinette side, it has a handmade bracket which allows for a 180 degree swing so that it can be viewed from any place in the camper.
Here's what it looks like...
Attached Thumbnails
Pic015.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp