How did you attach your sway bar? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2006, 07:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Very soon I will finally have the time to mount my sway bar. The ball that mounts to the trailer is welded to a small plate. The manufacturer gives screws to mount a larger plate to trailer then screw the smaller plate with the ball to the larger plate. All of this doesn't seem to mate up very well to my frame. the holes in the plate are spaced too far apart. I was thinking of finding someone to just weld the small plate on. I also found a plate with ball that has U shaped bolts that go around the trailer frame but if I do that, I need to move the propane tanks. Just weld it I suppose.
Now to the other end at the tow vehicle --- Supplied plate need to be welded to side of my bar that comes out the the square receiver. (just weld to side of my bar is strong enough?) I think I've seen a bar that goes under my 2" ball and sticks out to mount the small swar bar ball. Wouldn't that make more sense since if I ever use different tow vehicle, I could change the height?
Anybody else been down this road?
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:57 AM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I bolted mine to the trailer's tongue. It's very secure. The hitch side is also bolted on. I was really glad, too, when I had my trailer raised and had to change the drop. I just moved it from one ball mount to the other.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
Suz

Registry
Here's a picture of how it attaches to the tow vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Hitch3.JPG  
Old 04-11-2006, 08:10 AM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Here's a picture of how it attaches to the tow vehicle.
Suz
I was thinking of something like that for the trailer tongue for the same reasons as you were glad you did.
Hard to see exactly what is what though. Are there two plates and one goes above the std. ball mount and the other goes below and the four bolts hold them together?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:08 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
There's brief discussion of these brackets starting with Donna's post in Sway bar again!, with suppliers and part numbers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:25 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Here's sort of a rear view of my tow vehicle end:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	2143

I change vehicles every two years and I didnt' want to have to keep welding sway bar attachments to different hitches.

If I remember correctly it's just a Reese part with a ball with a longer thread length.
Attached Thumbnails
Hitch2.jpg  
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:42 AM   #7
Suz

Registry
On mine, there are two pieces. I'll include a couple more pictures and hope that helps. They're not very clear so I'll also try and explain.

The top plate goes on top of the ball mount (stinger).The bottom plate goes around the ball mount (stinger) to keep it in place (keep from shifting). The four bolts hold the two plates together. The ball goes through and holds the ball mount and the plate together.

When I replaced my ball mount (stinger) they had to grind it down a tad because it was a different brand and had a different curve to it. It works fine even with the mod.
Attached Thumbnails
hitchbottom.JPG   Hitch2.JPG  

Old 04-11-2006, 09:51 AM   #8
Suz

Registry
On the trailer end, I bolted the bracket on. However, I was very limited on where I could put it. A normal sway control was too long and wouldn't work with the bolt on so I got a mini-sway. It's good for up to 3500# so is completely qualified to handle my trailer.

I'll post two pictures: One shows how it works, the other shows it on my trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Hitch4.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2006, 02:02 PM   #9

Registry
Steve.... i found one like yours at RV shop at lunchtime today. That should work well. They also suggested that I drill alternate holes in plate that attaches to trailer since that plate is too big for trailer. Good idea. I think I'm all set if I get a few hours to work on it this week. Suz and Brian Thanks again
Chris
Old 04-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
My anti-sway device is bolted on.

You may find a picture of the installation at http://scamp.n0kfb.org/mods/sway-control.jpg

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote