How do I figure value of my Compact? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2014, 11:07 AM   #1

Name: Denise
Trailer: Hunter Compact Junior
Washington
Question How do I figure value of my Compact?

I bought my '74 Hunter Compact Jr II from family for $700, I've done some cleaning up, getting new cushions now. I'll be doing a lot more work on it over time just because I can, its totally usable right now.
In the future I hope to sell it and after reading a bajillion websites, have decided to keep it more original than not. Its still got all of its vinyl on the walls, still has a never used porta potty and the original flooring (I WILL replace that ugly stuff).
SO how do I value it? Is there a site available to do that?
DeniseBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hi Denise

About the only "Site" for trailer values of any use is the different For Sale listings such as <<<fiberglass-rv-4sale.com>>> and, at that, you would have to follow up with sellers to glean "sold prices".

Basically I would put a Hunter that is inhabitable at no less than $2500, and I have seen fixed up versions sell for almost $9000. I currently have a declared value of $6000 on mine.

Can't say that "original" carries much cache in our FGRV's. I have tried to make my 73 Hunter Compact-II more modern to make it more enjoyable, while trying to retain it's original flavor. Here's a few pics, not shown is the recently added outside shower panel.
Hunter Compact II Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

As far as insurance value, if that's a concern, it's a real toughie. First DO NOT tell the ins company what you paid for it, that's none of their business. Tell them what it's value is if it has to be replaced tomorrow. Then take "before" pictures, save up all of your receipts and also take "after" pics as you make improvements.

Also print out copies of For Sale ads you see to use for comps, and remember that Summer prices will be higher than winter prices by up to 50%.

Even if you don't have collision on your trailer, if someone else runs into you, you will want to have some proof of value when the other guys ins company wants to total it when it has $500 in damage. BTW: $500 won't pay for much more than a small scrape.

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #3

Name: Denise
Trailer: Hunter Compact Junior
Washington
Talking Thank You

All good stuff to remember. I've got the file with all the receipts and photos galore, take more every time I go into it.
DeniseBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
You can also search the classified archives here:
Classified Archives - Fiberglass RV
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
You can also search the classified archives here:
Classified Archives - Fiberglass RV
There is also a SOLD archive at Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com, but keep in mind that if you have to use those for comps, that anything over a year old usually won't be considered. It's a continuing process, you want to catcvh every new one as it pops up.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I'm more in the "original" camp than some other members, from a cost benefit perspective if the old stuff works or can be purchased used at low prices then replacing it adds cost which comes out of resale.

There is also the question of can you install new or modern amenities with enough skill to provide a good fit and finish that will appeal to a perspective buyer. I might put up with a little "rough" but a functional mod for my own use, but it may put a buyer off.

Last but not least there is what to spend the money on, to most people a light is a light, a toilet is a toilet. You put a lot of money into LED lights and a premium toilet and it may be harder to get that money back. And the mod I think is just the perfect improvement, done well with quality parts just may not matter to some folks.

All that said I looked at the photos Bob posted a link to and I would say he nailed the fit and finish, the camper looks really sharp and would not have to work to convince DW to purchase it. Has to appeal to both if purchased by a couple don't you know. Never having watched TV while camping ourselves (but many do) we might not value that really nice TV set up. But those that do want a TV might pay a premium for having a well done one like Bob has. We read while camping so some of the lights I think were added would appeal to us. It's a bit of a gamble and takes some thought on where to put your investment if your goal is resale.

If your doing mods with an eye toward keeping the camper that is a FGRV of a different color. Then the cost is measured in the value of your use and enjoyment not resale value. Paint it pink, gut the inside, cover the walls and floor with shag carpeting and furnish with bean bags if that is what makes YOU happy.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote