How do i find a VERY slow propane leak? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #1

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
How do i find a VERY slow propane leak?

I just put in a new propex heater so I made two new connections and neither of them are generating bubbles when I test them under pressure. I've checked them a few times, all without any bubbles forming.

I didn't have a gauge or check for a leak until after the heater installation. So it may be the new connections or maybe not. Or is it even considered a leak? I have difficulty smelling propane, but no one else has noticed a tell tale odor. I have done the bubble leak test for the outside connections near the tank. I have not tested the stove connections or any connections that may be under the trailer.

The leak, if it is one, is slow! I just got a tank gauge and when I turn off the tank at night the gauge shows no drop in pressure that would indicate a leak, but by the next morning there is no pressure registering on the gauge.

I took some pictures of the gauge over time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-175026915.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	44167

Tank and gauge.

Name:	image-854066682.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	44168

1:40pm

Name:	image-1708612086.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	44169

2:40pm

Name:	image-881321744.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	44171

3:40pm

Name:	image-2485911013.jpg
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	44172

4:40pm

Name:	image-2803911531.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	44173

5:21pm

Something like watching paint dry!

Of course it has been getting colder which changes the pressure in the tank! But in the morning it will show empty.

If I turn off the tank, then light the stove, the burners run half heartedly for a very short time. So there can't be very much propane in the line. But if it was pressurized would it be leaking more?

I'm going camping for two day starting tomorrow, so the tank will be on all night, as will the heater. Will it be dangerous?

How can I find a leak if it isn't bubbling?
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
That is not a slow leak. It looks like you're losing a pound an hour. If it's leaking like that it would have the potential to bubble pretty furiously - somewhere along the line or in the appliance itself. I'd shut everything off, open the windows and start working back from the tank itself.

You could use compressed air through the regulator to find that leak. It's cheaper than gas, and less explosive!

Regards,

Matt
Old 03-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Did you use the yellow tape? Yellow tape is for gas. If it's leaking you should smell it. I had a leak at my old regulator and I could even see the fumes escaping. Be careful and don't light a match.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #4

California
I have a small tank:

Name:	image-2747413826.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	44174

20 pounds I believe.

And I turned off the valve before I started taking the pictures. So it is only leaking the residual pressure in the hoses.

I used yellow gas tape. I've done natural gas connections before when changing out water heaters and gas stoves. I used high quality fittings. And there were no bubbles. I just checked again before I took the pictures.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Hey Brooke
Try with a newly filled tank, you may get a better bubble check that way.
Try soapy solution also around the gage and on the tank valve itself.
Good Luck.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #6

California
Good ideas.

Done and done.

I even thought the new gauge might be the leak, but no bubbles.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: LP Leak
I had a similar problem a few years back and it turned out being an internal leak in the regulator. New ones aren't very expensive.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
You could buy a gas leak detector ($150 - 200).It will find any leak. You may have to use bubble solution to pinpoint the leak ie. which flare on a tee etc.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #9

Name: Richard & Carolyn
Trailer: 2000 Casita SD 17'
Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
Just for clarification, is the loss occuring when the tank is OFF? Or ON?
Is the guage showing the drop in the line between the tank and the trailer with the tank off or on?
OR, is the tank on and all appliances off AND the pressure is dropping?
Richard
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #10

California
The tank is valve is closed or off.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #11

Name: Richard & Carolyn
Trailer: 2000 Casita SD 17'
Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
Maybe getting the propane lines pressure tested would be in order.
My 200 Casita had just had the propane system recertified after 10 years of age and I suspect that is something that would be done. Since the tank would be removed and likely air is used, it should not be too expensive or even too difficult to rig something using compressed air.
Richard
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
You could buy 3/8 copper plugs and disconnect the L.P lines at each appliance and cap them off . And test again that will let you know if it is a line/regulater leak or it is in a appliance. Just a note did you check the L.P. regulater, there is a small hole to let air in so the diaphragm can move and regulate the pressure. It is on the first stage. That was where my was leaking.

Ken
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:12 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
You cannot do a pressure test with more than 2# on a regulator or gas control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU CAN BLOW OUT THE DIAPHRAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:23 AM   #14

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Your problem is likley that when you turn it off the gas in the line leaks out through the valve . These valves should always be opened fully and snugged at the top to seal the valve . I don't believe you have a problem at all
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
How about at the stove valves, could there be a leak there? According to the Uhaul repair manual, they had some kind of modification that was to be made to the system, but I'm not sure why, and I haven't looked to see if ours had been done. You'll have to trace the whole system and check every connection, and there's always the possibility of a line rubbed where it goes through the floor, or damage from a stone off the road.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #16

New York
Another very unlikely situation, has your stove been replaced with one that has a pilot light and you didn't notice it. I don't know as if any were made for campers with pilot lights, but it's just a thought.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #17

New York
I just went out and looked at our Uhaul stove. Pull off the knobs on yours and use soapy water in that area, and I assume you already have on the supply line to the stove. It's been 25 years since I did propane installations for a heating company, but I recall we had a special grease we used on stove valves that were sticky, and we might have used it if there was a slow leak. We would check for leaks with a manometer, which is a U shaped tube with water in it. It didn't find where a leak was, just showed if there was one.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #18

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: Propane Leaks
As others have also mentioned, the small hole on the bottom of the regulator is where a leak from the diaphram will appear, Turn the regulator upside down on the tank and, with the tank ON, soap that area real well. As slow as your leak is, it might take a few minutes for even one bubble to start.

BTW: I use kids bubble blowing solution for testing, it's easy to find at most Dollar stores. Works a lot better than just soap solution, and you can entertain yourself while waiting for the leak to appear.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #19

California
Thank you for all the great ideas!

I have been fixated on the new gas connections. I'll start looking at the original equipment and the installations the PO did.

And maybe I can borrow a gas detector from someone around here.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #20

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
That would be the one on the tank these are meant to be fully open as they will leak in aNY OTHER PLACE SO WHEN VALVE IS CLOSED ANY GAS IN THE SYSTEM WILL ESCAPE.Also those propane sencers you buy for around 40 bucks are worthless [In my opinion I have one and it wont tell you of a small leak.
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote