How do I install an AC in my '72 Boler? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 12:19 AM   #1

Name: Barbe
Trailer: Boler
West Virginia
How do I install an AC in my '72 Boler?

Hi everyone! I am so new at this it's scary. As of last week, I am now the proud owner of a 1972 13 ft Boler. My first ever camper! Due to health issues, I desperately need to install an AC unit. From perusing the sites I understand that I need to purchase a 5000 BTU home window unit and should most likely install it somehow in the closet. But HOW? I haven't a clue on how to do this, is there any directions, videos, or how to's to follow from someone who has been there and done that :successfully? I don't want to muck it up or ruin the look of my cute little camper but greatly need advice. My little camper is small so don't think that one of those portable units would be practical as they would take up too much floor space and still need to be vented outside (& where do the drips go in those freestanding AC's?) Help! Anyone?
Barbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:34 AM   #2

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
There are lots of threads on this. Try doing a search for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #3

West Virginia
I tried typing in EVERYTHING I could think of in the search about installing AC in a vintage camper and NOTHING came up relevant.....
Old 07-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #4

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Here is the one I did: link. It was more work, but I like how it looks. Or you could look other installations here or here.

Search/Google Search "AC closet" and I got lots of relevant results.

I hope that helps. Let us know if you are still stuck.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
go to the search tab on this page. Do not use the search at the top of the drop down box use the Google search at the bottom of the drop down box. The top search doesn't work good enough and the Google search works too good.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I think there are approx. 3 places people install window type AC units in the older campers that I can recall reading about on the forum.
  • Window itself. Have seen the rear bumper or tongue used as a support for this. Recall some side window installs but not how they were supported.
  • Through the wall. Front or rear again using the bumper or tongue as a support. Sometimes right at floor level, with a remote control for the AC unit this is reported to not be inconvenient.
  • In a closet. This on older Scamps was where the factory installed them.
Thing that sometimes throws people is an AC unit must have a way to pull outside air across the hot side which is normally outside the window in a house install. You have to keep the hot air side separate from the inside cool air side. The more air that moves across the hot side the better it cools.

The window and through the wall camper install accomplishes these two things by putting the hot air side on the outside of the camper just as one would installing in a window of a house.

The closet installs do this in different ways. Large vent in the outside wall with floor vent to draw in outside air. Or totally vented through floor. Even sort of building duct work to supply outside air and exhaust the hot air. Along with some sort of panels to box in the hot side of the AC unit and keep that air separate from the inside of the camper.

AC units also pull moisture out of the air, this normally drips from the AC unit outside of the house. In the closet install you will see different approaches to providing drainage for that water.

Those threads describing the installs are all about how people accomplish these basic requirements. Just thought it might help to go into them with an overview.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #7

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
A/C for F.G trailer.

...Here is what I did for Trillium1300 of mine. My purpose is...maximize efficiency(5,200BTU, window installation), minimum alternation of original trailer( taking out window, store it and can put back to original shape anytime ). Due to limited time, it took a whole week for me and not even completion YET. I will post more photos after finished.....Cheer...To be continued....My goal is...permanent, weather proof, window A/C, disguised like.....factory made...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG595.jpg   IMG596.jpg  

IMG598.jpg   IMG599.jpg  

IMG600.jpg   IMG602.jpg  

IMG603.jpg   IMG604.jpg  

IMG605.jpg   IMG606.jpg  

Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
...Here is what I did for Trillium1300 of mine. My purpose is...maximize efficiency(5,200BTU, window installation), minimum alternation of original trailer( taking out window, store it and can put back to original shape anytime ). Due to limited time, it took a whole week for me and not even completion YET. I will post more photos after finished.....Cheer...To be continued....My goal is...permanent, weather proof, window A/C, disguised like.....factory made...
Very good design principles. I could not recall how I have seen the window mounts done. Wood frame with metal flange. That is a mental loop I was stuck in that just ended.

I take it the metal work in progress is to finish off the wood so it looks "store bought"?

Be sure to post pictures when finished. From the look of it so far I bet it will be really nice.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:46 PM   #9

West Virginia
Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice, the links, photos and clear instruction. It is a relief beyond measure to know that you DIY experts are out there with all your handy experience. I really appreciate your assistance. I am forwarding all the links and step by step instructions to the amazing gentleman who operates the Finish First Body Shop. He has had experience restoring a vintage Airstream for himself and while the man has skills that I cannot begin to contemplate, he has never tackled this particular issue before. The work begins on my little fiberglass "Hobbit House" Boler Camper next week (am excited but also anxious about her upcoming 'surgery') She is getting some new plumbing, wiring & I bought a 5000 BTU AC this evening. Wish us luck & a happy ending!
Old 07-26-2014, 04:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
A friend of ours installs a/c's in bolers and trilliums that he picks up and does interior renos for re-sale. He puts the a/c in the closet mainly for one reason. It keeps a fairly heavy piece of equipment right over the wheels. Looks nicer too. Good luck and happy camping.
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #11

Ontario
...Thanks to the weekend, I have time to work on my window A/C cover. The first 2 hours of morning gave me some results as photos. Next step is...anti-vibration bracket, seal the edges of cover before prime it. The last step will be finished and matched paint job...Cheer...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG608.jpg   IMG609.jpg  

IMG610.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #12

Ontario
A/C assembly trial before final touch and paint job...

..A fit test before final including exterior and...interior..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG611.jpg   IMG612.jpg  

IMG613.jpg   IMG614.jpg  

IMG615.jpg   IMG616.jpg  

IMG617.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #13

Ontario
Completion of home-made A/C window on trailer....

My initial plan is building A..SNAPPED-ON WINDOW A/C for trailer. A/C itself would be on wheel, stored when needed and..snapped on trailer window when it's needed. During the process of fabrication, due to light weight of unit, I decided to install permanently w/o changing the original shape of trailer itself as...AN ALL-WEATHER WINDOW A/C. Here is estimation
-Total labour: 8 hrs-Cost: a thrown away 3/4'" plywood, 2 back pcs of thrown away ranges, a yard sell 5,200BTU A/C costs 25 bucks, a bunch of screws in garage, a piece of discarded vinyl, a tiny can of pain, costs 6 dollars. With a hobbyist mind, I finally complete my project. Just a share to fellow members...When time is allowed, I would build a ...FRONT DINNETTE/BUNK BEDS/STORAGE COMBO ...with total my own design, one of a kind in North America. After finishing the trailer, which might take years...I will post everything from the beginning in a separated album...The final photos here were taken after...RAIN TEST by garden hose. Cheer!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG618.jpg   IMG619.jpg  

IMG620.jpg   IMG621.jpg  

IMG622.jpg   IMG623.jpg  

IMG624.jpg   IMG625.jpg  

IMG626.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #14

Ontario
Who would buy my Trillium1300?? Just out of curiosity and how much it would cost????/

Total modification from...ground up:
-Reinforced frame, painted and replaced gas lines with stainless steel propane gas lines.
-Dual connector 4/7pin, new exterior paint, 2 front jacks, one with lockable wheel.
-30Amp circuit breaker, 120VAC, 12VDC, battery located outside.
-3way fridge, new water-proof laminated floor. Total 4 AC outlets, 3x12VDC outlets/ back up alarm and back up flood light in rear, extended rear bumper with stainless steel brkts. Roof vent with powerful 120VAC ceiling sucking fan. Heavy duty bunk bed with copper guarded rails. Spared wheel is underneath frame. Electric portable 120VAC heater 5,200BTU window A/C...2 burners stove inside, sink with 10gallons water tank volume, 12VDC water pump with access both city and campsite water supplies...and NO LEAK...Just kidding, this is the..only F.G camer I got....Cheer!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:48 AM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
My initial plan is building A..SNAPPED-ON WINDOW A/C for trailer. A/C itself would be on wheel, stored when needed and..snapped on trailer window when it's needed. During the process of fabrication, due to light weight of unit, I decided to install permanently w/o changing the original shape of trailer itself as...AN ALL-WEATHER WINDOW A/C. Here is estimation
-Total labour: 8 hrs-Cost: a thrown away 3/4'" plywood, 2 back pcs of thrown away ranges, a yard sell 5,200BTU A/C costs 25 bucks, a bunch of screws in garage, a piece of discarded vinyl, a tiny can of pain, costs 6 dollars. With a hobbyist mind, I finally complete my project. Just a share to fellow members...When time is allowed, I would build a ...FRONT DINNETTE/BUNK BEDS/STORAGE COMBO ...with total my own design, one of a kind in North America. After finishing the trailer, which might take years...I will post everything from the beginning in a separated album...The final photos here were taken after...RAIN TEST by garden hose. Cheer!
The front dinette/bunkbeds/storage combo has already been done in several different ways. There are also pictures posted on another thread about that. Most of us up here in Canada, have done it one way or another.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1985.jpg  
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler