How do I make my Silver Cloud shiny? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2016, 04:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
How do I make my Silver Cloud shiny?

I cleaned a part of our Silver Cloud today with Barkeepers Friend and then spread Meguire's Best Marine. It looks a lot better, but it is not shiny. I was cautioned against Zep, because it might yellow, but how would you recommend making our Silver Cloud shiny? (Feel free to recommend Zep anyway.)

If I add Zep, do I have to strip off the Meguires or can I add it over this coat?

CindyL
Old 09-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I cleaned a part of our Silver Cloud today with Barkeepers Friend and then spread Meguire's Best Marine. It looks a lot better, but it is not shiny. I was cautioned against Zep, because it might yellow, but how would you recommend making our Silver Cloud shiny? (Feel free to recommend Zep anyway.)

If I add Zep, do I have to strip off the Meguires or can I add it over this coat?

CindyL
I saw your trailer in algonac last week Cindy and commented to fellow campers with me that if it was my trailer I would head right for the Zep ,you will not be disappointed. Even if it somewhat yellows which I disagree with the effort to Zep it and strip it later will never be as much work as trying to buff a trailer of that size.i say go for it.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #3

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
When I bought my trailer it needed wax, before waxing I used a compound on it to strip everything then applied a good wax to it, when I stopped anywhere people thought it was a new trailer yet was a 1991 Bigfoot.

Look for a compound cleaning paste first.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:17 PM   #4

Registry
Thanks. I think I will be going for Zep tomorrow (and paint for the wheels.) I trust your opinion, Mike. By the time it yellows and needs stripping anyway, I will be retired and have the time (or have the time to tell Kevin to do it since my fingers may be contracted by then. Great excuse!) to scrub it.

CindyL
Old 09-17-2016, 06:25 PM   #5

Registry
Mike,

I trust your opinion. I will keep cleaning tomorrow with Barkeepers friend and then coat it (or have Kevin coat it) with Zep. I chose Meguires, because someone recommended it on the Bigfoot Facebook page. In any case, by the time the Zep yellows, we will be retired and will have time to strip it.

CindyL
Old 09-17-2016, 06:28 PM   #6

Registry
And here is what Kevin was working on today, installing a ProPride hitch, so sway is not so bad. Plus our camping buddies and the lights we bought at Algonac.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1498.jpg   IMG_1493.jpg  

IMG_1494.jpg   IMG_1496.jpg  

Old 09-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #7
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Ooo. Nice!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
And here is what Kevin was working on today, installing a ProPride hitch, so sway is not so bad. Plus our camping buddies and the lights we bought at Algonac.

CindyL
Saw those lights on your trailer at algonac and thought they were a great idea and wouldn't you know it they brought them in to Costco here in Canada so i bought some except were yours only lights your 1 trailer mine should light all three of my small trailers. Getting back to the Zep Cindy just check the numerous threads here on using Zep and it should turn out very well. You also have the advantage of a fairly flat roof and I wouldn't waste to much time and effort up there as you won't see it anyways and that is the area that the Zep will deteriate first and often unless you keep your trailer garaged or covered the real killer to Zep is snow and morning dew but will only effect the roof.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #9

Registry
One of our cats, not in the pic, was mezmerised by the lights.

CindyL
Old 09-18-2016, 05:01 AM   #10

Registry
The Meguires made my fingernails even shinier than my nail polish does.

CindyL
Old 09-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #11

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
We put the Zep on the roof to help keep it clean, doing a nice job, once we did put the Zep on we got 1 MPG better.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #12

Registry
Thanks, Roger. We bought PoliGlow today. I just allegedly stripped the wax I put on yesterday by using Dawn (Personally, if it worked, I think it was EraserMate. It just removed a big black spot without Dawn.)

I just hate that we have to take it back to public parking before the PoliGlow arrives! That will mean scrubbing that spot again for the 3rd time!

CindyL
Old 09-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #13

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Silver Cloud?

Hmmm I thought most folks who owned a Silver Cloud had staff to do the polishing from them.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:40 AM   #14

Registry
OMG, BatDude, I laughed till I cried! Thank you!

CindyL
Old 09-19-2016, 07:52 AM   #15

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Cindy. Let us know how you like the Poli glow, and thanks for including the year and model of your trailer. It really helps our perspective. I encourage everyone to do that.

Walt
Old 09-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #16

Registry
Thanks, Walt. The only FB camper we have owned that I can remember the year. We doubt much has been done to remove oxidation over the years.

CindyL
Old 09-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Ontario
Not sure Cindy if you are using Zep or polyglow, my take on it is that polyglow is nothing more than an expensive version of Zep same basic ingredients but a lot less for a lot more but I may be wrong as I have never tried polyglow.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #18

Registry
Yes, we know that Poliglow is almost the same thing as Zep. We decided to make at least the first coats be something made for fiberglass specifically.

The back side of the camper is sure white where I washed it. The side light that I took of and cleaned is much brighter than the one I did not clean. Maybe there will be a night that we can drop by the public parking and shine up the part I cleaned sometime. If not, Kevin plans to work on it Sunday again.

The honking ProPride hitch that Kevin put on to help with sway seems to change the way it feels behind the Expedition, at least driving it to the parking facility. Of course, we need to take it out onto a freeway or interstate to really see how it works, but it seems to make the tow vehicle and camper be one unit. Sure hope so. It might allow me to spell Kevin driving a bit. My hands won't allow the muscling of the camper to stop the sway with the old hitch, which also was supposed to designed help with sway. Not much!

CindyL

Tags
cloud