How do I remove furnace from Scamp? Help! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
How do I remove furnace from Scamp? Help!

I have it mostly loose but it will not come out due to the vent piping being seized to the vent cover. I don't know how it is attached to the cover as all I can see it rust. I have no plans to use the furnace but would prefer not to damage it if I can get it out without it. All I can figure is drill out the rivets on the cover, slide the furnace toward the outside as far as I can and then cut the pipes away from the cover. Any other suggestions?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Soak the two pipes with something like Bolt PB, Bolt V-Blaster, WD-40 etc and let it soak in overnight if possible. Then add more and start lot of wiggling from the outside ports. They usually give way after 1 or 2 treatments.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #3

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
I just removed my furnace and used the hole for the furnace for storage. I drilled out the rivets (used a counter sink bit) in the external grill. When I took out the furnace the stubs for the furnace to the outside were still attached. I think Bob had a good method but you have to remove the outside first.
Incidentally, I removed the fiberglass strip between the furnace hole and the adjoining storage hole. I resized the storage hole to match the furnace hole and now I have a wide and deep storage compartment. I made a new door hinged on the right to cover the new storage compartment using to old hinge holes.
frankcfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #4

North Florida
Thanks for the replys, I should have shot some PB on it last night but did not think about it. So the furnace pipes are just stuck into the back of the grill?

I am removing the furnace because at least for the near term we are fair weather campers and I have no propane hooked up anyway. I may never have propane inside, it just scares me. So, I am taking some unused space below the cooktop plus the area above the furnace and making a shelf for a small microwave. Below that will be storage, maybe eventually a funky drawer with one back corner blocked out for the wheel well. I about have it figured out in my mind, subject to the realities of the real world.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #5

The air intake and exhaust pipes are telescoped inside each other to allow for differences distances between the back of the furnace and the outside wall.

Sometimes the installing technician will put a screw through both pipes to keep them together. You might look for that as well.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #6

California
Boy unless the seat in my case, 16' side dinette , was taken off putting a screw through the pipes would big chore.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #7

But if the furnace was installed first.....?

Old 06-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #8

California
Then you wouldn't have to remove the seat!!!
Old 06-14-2014, 07:06 AM   #9

North Florida
Well I got it out. The trick was going ahead and drilling out the rivets in the outside cover, prying it out and some additional jiggling of the furnace broke the telescoping tubes loose and things came apart. Judging from the way the gas & electrical connection to the furnace were made it looks like Scamp built the trailer around the furnace. It sure would not come straight out the front but may been able to be fished back and turned out another hole or something. Like through the cooktop hole up top if the cooktop was not in the way. A future project may be replacing the gas cooktop with a 120V 2-burner unit. But no time soon, I have other fish to fry and a week long camping trip coming up in August, and am out of money after a new axle & A/C unit for the Scamp. Thanks for the replys.

Tags
furnace, scamp