How do you fix Fiberglass cracks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 1989 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
If something cracked the fiberglass, how easy is it to repair?
SharonNDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
If something cracked the fiberglass, how easy is it to repair?
All the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't put.... Actually it depends on how back it's broken. Corvettes are crashed and repaired all the time. (fiberglass body)
Old 01-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Boats too! Any boat guy could fix it.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
While we're on the topic, I just tried a boat repair product (Marine Tex putty) for small cracks and pin holes on the roof of my Trillium, and was very impressed with the result. It's a white paste that applies much like drywall compound, hardens as hard as the original gelcoat, can be easily sanded to be even with the original surrounding surface, softens/cleans with acetone and can be colored or painted. So far does a better job for small local repairs than regular fiberglass mix or epoxy tubes. There are probably a few other brands that would work the same way.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
We have also used Marine Tex for small dings with excellent results. Comes in a small size for small jobs at a reasonable price from our local boat supply.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:08 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Try Marine Tex
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
A crack needs more than a filler, you need fiberglass cloth, which is coated with resin. There are usually kits in the hardware or auto store.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #8

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
A crack needs more than a filler, you need fiberglass cloth, which is coated with resin. There are usually kits in the hardware or auto store.

A "through" crack needs more than filler.

Surface cracking can be repaired by cleaning out the crack and using either putty filler, "kitty hair" which contains small particles of the fiber glass, or even spot gel-coat repair kits can be used.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Jayco Eagle 320RLDS
If the crack is through the panel, vee it out, make it into a vee. Take some liquid resin, mix fiberglass material into it ( fines) and fill the crack. If the crack is large, put a piece of cloth in the crack first. Add Hardner to the resin, about two drops to 3oz of resin. With a brush apply the resin mixture in the crack. Let it harden, sand it smooth, and paint.
Jay Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Sharon,

You didn't say how much of a crack you're dealing with. There are basically three kinds of damage that can occur to fiberglass. The first is gelcoat stress (or spider) cracks. They're cosmetic and appear to be a spider web design radiating out from a spot. "Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure" available at most marine stores is the perfect fix. It's a little difficult to do on horizonal surfaces, but it works well.

The next type of damage is a chip in the gelcoat. MarineTex or other similar kinds of epoxy putties work really well. Clean the chipped are with acetone, put the epoxy in it and let it harden. Sand it off and it's good as new.

Last is where the fiberglass is deformed, cracked, or torn. Your best bet there is to seek professional body work either from a good boat repair shop or an auto body shop with fiberglass experience. You can do it yourself, but there's a learning curve and it's pretty steep.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 1989 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Really, I don't have a camper yet, therefore I don't have a crack, lol. I was asking before I buy so I could know all is not lost if such a thing happened. Still looking for an older (affordable) Casita Freedom Deluxe with the captain's chairs.
SharonNDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Well, the answer is that one really good thing about fiberglass is that you can repair it, cut out the repair, repair it again and then do it over in five years time, all depending on your mood! That's a lot tougher to do with other kinds of trailers.

The hard part is getting the repair to look good because the original is made inside a highly polished mold and layered. The interesting part is that the best place to go for repairs is a boat place because they do most of their work in FG.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I don't recall if it was in this forum or another, but someone said that Krylon makes an ivory paint that matches the finish really well on old eggs. I found a can at Wally they were clearing for $3 Krylon Gloss Ivory. Put a test spot on and it is almost a perfect match. Should be very useful as I clean up the shell and make small gel coat repairs this spring before polishing and waxing.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote