How do you keep the sun out - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
My wife and I are retired and don’t necessarily want to get up with the sun every morning! We are planning on replacing the light weight curtains with something that does a better job keeping the sun out in the morning. I would much prefer not to drill additional holes in the Scamp’s cabin for a bottom attachment point (needed due to the curvature of the cabin walls… there is quite a gap on the bottom of the present curtains which would prevent light coming under the bottom of the curtain).

1) Does window film/window tinting help? How easy is it to apply? Does it hold up?
2) Bottom attachments for the curtains; since the window frames are aluminum magnetic attachment to the frames isn’t possible but how about to the screws (or a steel bracket attachment to the screws)? How about wire through the bottom of the curtain to attach to the screws?
3) What fabric(s) would be recommended? We would like to be able to do this without purchasing anything too expensive (I’ve seen custom Roman curtains on some trailers and they look great but the expense matches the look).
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 MKP Grandesse T (made in Denmark)
Quote:
… there is quite a gap on the bottom of the present curtains which would prevent light coming under the bottom of the curtain)....
2) Bottom attachments for the curtains; since the window frames are aluminum magnetic attachment to the frames isn’t possible but how about to the screws (or a steel bracket attachment to the screws)? How about wire through the bottom of the curtain to attach to the screws?
The MKP came with an idea similar to this. There are screw point at both ends of the bottom of the window frame. Attached is a plastic covered wire strap which stretches across. You simply tuck the curtain under the strap when you want to cut out the light from under the curtain.
I'll post a picture later today.
Denise K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:34 PM   #3

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
John,
you could try those padded window shades you put in the car in the windsheild, and attached with velcro. Or covered cardboard would work. Then you could take them down when you get up.

Linda
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
when I got my trailer the previous owners had put these on the door and kitchen windows. Just attach with velcro. Sure keeps the light out...you could put more behind your curtains and remove them during the day.

Name:   DSC00462.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  27.8 KB
Attached Images

Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:01 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
My wife and I are retired and don’t necessarily want to get up with the sun every morning!

1) Does window film/window tinting help? How easy is it to apply? Does it hold up?
The tinting will reduce intense morning sun, but it will still be bright enough to wake you with standard single ply curtains. It is an absolute pain to install. That's why there are professional installers. Once it is in place, if installed correctly, it will last for years.

Something I have done to get the effect of window tinitng without the hassle of the difficult installation is to screw shade screen to the top of the window frame, and let it hang like an inner curtain.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
I made some DARK (black cord) liners for my curtains---actually sewed it to the top of the curtains and it really keeps our trailer dark--no way of seeing in with shadows in the light either..

You could also put a small square of velcro on the corner of the curtain and on the wall of the trailer to keep them somewhat in place---I have large snaps to actually snap the 2 large end curtains together, so no way of turning over and having the curtains open...
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I had heavy throw rugs as curtians in the 13. I used velcro and a plastic tab with the other side of the velcro on it on the curtains. Push against wall.. worked very well.

The throw rugs were sort of rag rugs, but were corduroy.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:00 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
We made lined curtains for our boler which keep light out nicely. We also put film on the windows (purchased from home depot as a kit with spreader, squirt bottle and liquid and cutter)

If you follow the instructions carefully, its not too bad to install. Just make sure you use a lot of the spray liquid, or it may stick to itself and render itself useless. Been there, done that!

Practice on the smallest window -- save curved windows for when you get the hang of it.

The best part of the film, is that people can't see inside, as its reflective. At night though, if you have lights on inside, then folks can see through. This can be a little embarassing if you didn't know!
Lance MacArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:06 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Quote:
My wife and I are retired and don’t necessarily want to get up with the sun every morning!

Approaching the problem from a different angle -- we kept those silky black eye covers given out on an overnight flight, the kind used by Winston Churchill for cat-naps in his limo, between meetings.

They are surprisingly effective, comfortable, stay on well and don't interfer with our sleep. Morning comes when one takes it off.

Diane & Des
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:44 AM   #10

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
My wife installed the padded window shades with Velcro in our Scamp 5th wheel. It does several things. 1. It cuts out the light. 2. it insulates the window and keeps the cold out. She cut them to fit and used Velcro.This is about a 1hour Job and it works well. It also gives you privacy.
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Yes, I forgot the side advantage to the heavier curtains. They certainly DO keep the cold out better, and they also help reduce condensation drips from the window.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:06 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Talking

[quote]when I got my trailer the previous owners had put these on the door and kitchen windows. Just attach with velcro. Sure keeps the light out...you could put more behind your curtains and remove them during the day.

Attachment 6641

My wife added a lining to the curtains in the Scamp after we got it home with sun blocking material and we put sun screens over each window and hatch opening much like the ones Chriti V has in her attached photos.

They work great in New Mexico heat and sunny days and keep out the cold as well and if we have to stay near street lights or other lamps and lights it keeps the light out at night, and buffers sound somewhat as well. It keeps the light out in the mornigs as well. It gives more privacy at night as well.

We got sheets of the stuff at Camping World and cut them to fit.

AW
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #13

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Personal experience:
- Tinted windows help.
- Our 14 footer has silk moire (okay, they're really polyester) curtains, single ply. They look beautiful! They're good enough for me light-wise (which means, they let in some light during the day, but at night when the trailer light is on you can't see what I'm doing) and have the added benefit of having the mosquitos SLIDE right off when you mash them against the fabric. They're long enough that I can tuck them behind the pillow - no peep show!
- Our 19 foot sticky has dark curtains (stretch polyester) with this insulated liner fabric (available at fabric stores). It's somewhat "foamy" in appearance but is phenomenal at keeping the heat out in summer and heat in on cool nights. The reflective white lining bounces the hot sun away from the trailer on hot days which sure is a bonus. Problem is...they're UGLY!!!! But they work so good...*sigh*
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:12 AM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
I vote for the window covers in Christi V's trailer. I did the same thing to my Scamp while living in Alaska. We went on some trips where the daylight was 24 hours. I velcroed that material over all the windows and the vent opening to keep out the midnight sun. It also reduces the heat inside the trailer. You can buy it at Lowes or Home Depot and cut it with scissors.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:02 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have used the tinted cellophane type stuff in both our RV and home. It keeps the glare out but not the light and does add some privacy and you'll need that as we have camped a long time and people are extremely curious and often try to get a "look" at the inside of the coach especially when you have something a little different. We used the Reflectix - silver foil on both sides, bubble wrap in the middle, which can be purchased at home stores at a lesser expense than an RV store. We used Reflectix to line the canvas on our pop-up, to line windows, cupboards and closets when we full-timed in the TT in both high summers and cold winters and it makes a big difference. When making your own, make sure you buy the "craft" velcro with the sticky stuff on it as one type requires you to sew it on. Cathy
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #16

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I vote for the window covers in Christi V's trailer. I did the same thing to my Scamp while living in Alaska. We went on some trips where the daylight was 24 hours. I velcroed that material over all the windows and the vent opening to keep out the midnight sun. It also reduces the heat inside the trailer. You can buy it at Lowes or Home Depot and cut it with scissors.
That's what I did too. I used car window covers I found on clearance at Target. I didn't velcro them in I just tuck them into the window frame. I think I might go to the .99 store and get some velcro to add to them.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
This is a clip from an old thread..
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...c=19704&hl=

For curtains I lucked out at the fabric store.
On sale, light colored textured fabric that reminded me almost of wood. Less than 2 bucks a yard! Because of the great fabric deal, I splurged and bought this thermal curtain liner stuff to sew into the curtains. This stuff is a four layer thermal blanket with a silver mylar layer like space blankets plus a vapor barrier, cotton batting and a fine white fabric outer layer. Sewn all together on a garage sale sewing machine, these curtains keep almost all light and heat. I can sleep until late in the day and I don't even know it's light outside. It keeps heat in, or heat out. I made a curtain that fits the roof vent too.

I riveted snaps inside so they can also be pulled tight against the windows.
Attached Thumbnails
doorliner.jpg   curtainliner.jpg  

proknob.jpg  
Thomas Haney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:18 AM   #18

Name: Alan
Trailer: Triple E Surf Side
Ontario
The sun shades certainly do work to keep the light out, but my problem with them and anything else that blocks the air, is that it gets too hot. One of the things that I like most about sleeping in my Surf Side is that there are windows on three sides and there is always some air movement. Our un-insulated and un-air conditioned house 90 year old house gets so hot in the hottest part of the summer the SS is the only place I can get a good sleep. I think this year I'll simply put dark lining on the plain white curtains - they are tied back during the day and once they are close we don't want light coming in or shadows visible from outside.
Alan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:52 AM   #19

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
This is a clip from an old thread..
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...c=19704&hl=

For curtains I lucked out at the fabric store.
On sale, light colored textured fabric that reminded me almost of wood. Less than 2 bucks a yard! Because of the great fabric deal, I splurged and bought this thermal curtain liner stuff to sew into the curtains. This stuff is a four layer thermal blanket with a silver mylar layer like space blankets plus a vapor barrier, cotton batting and a fine white fabric outer layer. Sewn all together on a garage sale sewing machine, these curtains keep almost all light and heat. I can sleep until late in the day and I don't even know it's light outside. It keeps heat in, or heat out. I made a curtain that fits the roof vent too.

I riveted snaps inside so they can also be pulled tight against the windows.
That looks like a super idea! My wife was going to add lining to the curtains anyway and I have one of those "emergency" space blankets... a thin, flexible, reflective, mylar material that reflects all light/heat. Sew the mylar material between the curtain and the lining and it should do the job while remaining flexible. The velcro "hook" material (the good stuff found at Lowes/Home Depot) seems to do a good job sticking to the rat fur without pulling it out. Good idea! I think I'll give it a shot.
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:49 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I too use car window shades, got mine at Big Lots for $1 piece. I went with the silver on one side, white on the other..because I didn't want to feel like I was sleeping INSIDE a baked potato...thinking back, it doesn't make any difference because the curtains cover the shades when in place. I took a hint from the office and bought some Cube Clips. Our cube walls are covered in burlap and NOTHING will stay, unless pinned with a cube clip or long pin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CubeHolder06.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	6777

I'm tracing the window size/shape and extending the pattern by several inches all the way around. The benefit is when the weather is cold, the window frame is also covered and helps to prevent condensation. The clips are nearly invisible when the curtains are in place which is nice, because they're left in the rat fur "permanently."

Name:	CubeHolder01.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	6778

Here's a pic of the front and back of the cube clip. The pins are 1-1/4 inches long and hold the shades very well.

Name:	CubeHolder03.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	6780

The kitchen window is the only one without a curtain. I still use the cube clips there, but after I cut the shade to fit, I think I'll cover the white portion with the same curtain material I'm using for the windows, then resew the binding on. May as well have a finished look!

I know others have used velcro successfully, but I think long term this will be a better choice for me. My Scamp is nearly 20 years old and the rat fur is in perfect shape. Thinking about using velcro reminds me of how a wool sweater looks like after numerous wearings....get out the piller to remove the fuzz balls.

Attached Thumbnails
CubeHolder02.jpg   CubeHolder04.jpg  

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote