How do you put wood laminate flooring down? - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
Name: Adam
Trailer: SurfSide TM 14
How do you put wood laminate flooring down?

Rebuild is getting close, now I need to replace the nasty carpet flooring. I have real nice bamboo planks but it seems a bit much for my 14' Surfside so I am thinking of going with a thinner laminate. Any ideas of which one is better and how I get it to stay in place on the floor. I imagine the bouncing of the trailer will knock all the boards loose if I don't glue or nail it down.

Adamfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Laminate flooring usually locks together and lives as a "floating" floor when installed to allow for expansion and contraction with temperature changes. You put it together and hold it in place with trim strips around the edges. I have done about 6-7 RV's in that manner without problem... BUT... buy quality flooring, the cheap stuff will crack at the joints from flexing.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
I have used Allure from Traffic Masters. It glues at the seals and floats on the floor. I have also installed a laminate floor that locked together. I glued it to the sub floor with pro-flex which does not harden but stays flexible. I trimmed out a U-Haul no two sides were the same. The fiberglass was not straight along the walls.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:53 AM   #4
Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I also used the Allure in my 16' Casita. I looked long and hard at all the laminate flooring available but went with the Allure. First its thin, flexes, easy to cut (score & snap), oak color matched ,my interior, had a 25 year warranty, was easy to install, and floated down upon the area where I first removed the ratty, filthy carpet it replaced. It looks great! It lays great! I do have trim around the edges I never removed the original carpet trim. Since the vinyl laminate Allure was thin itself, I installed the edges of each piece underneath the trim. I installed another aluminum threshold at the entrance which also holds it down as well.
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote