How do you reach it? Center Trim on Roof. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
How do you reach it? Center Trim on Roof.

REALLY? DUHHHH... Trying to replace the Center Trim on the roof of the Uhaul CT 13. No ladder is enough... Cannot see how you guys reach the center trim on these trailers without climbing on the roof. How have others done this?
NEVER MIND...Went to a shorter ladder and can lean over and reach some of it now ...I'd delete this but don't know how....Duhh
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I confess that I've had a few anxious moments reaching the center.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
View pix on p. 43 of thread "Not PoliGlow--time will tell." I am unable to copy here at this time. You need a section of scaffold, either two frames and two x-braces OR a modern unitized rental unit, an aluminum or wood trestle plank to span the scaffold frames end to end (parallel to trailer), a plywood or dimension lumber plank spanning from scaffold plank to the central Pullman section of roof.

There are other staging lashups that can be knocked together. I don't like any of them as much as the scaffold and "gang plank."

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #4

Virginia
HA! Thanks you guys...You'd laugh if you saw this I know...Just got it cleaned up and putting on all but the top back. Need scaffold for that I think, and don't have the bolts cut on the old solar. That will be another day. Went with BLACK TRIM. I like it!
Old 04-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #5

Delaware
Diane, glad you're getting on with the TrimLoc. UHauls and Burros both benefit in strength from the beam sections of the Pullman roof as well as from the short vertical centerline flanges and the thickening of the roof by the bonding of inner and outer hulls. I would be much less concerned with deflecting the roof or hull joints by placing my weight on it than I would be about sliding or falling off.

jack
Old 04-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
.....Went with BLACK TRIM. I like it!
Can't wait to see the pitchers.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
We use our 2 little giant ladders with their plank between them to wash/wax the top.
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #8

Virginia
Good Idea! Thanks!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I have white trim which is too 'white' against my creamy UH camper. I think I need to change it out to black. Too bad it doesn't come in something cool like chrome, or colors!! What size did you get, Diana?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #10

Virginia
Pam, I think you could paint the white...that's the beauty of it.
I ordered it quite a while back, but I keep a little notebook with notes on the trailer.
Note says 3/8-1/2 and I think I ordered it from "R&P Carriages" I always search for the best price... their number is 815 357-3292 you need 21 feet. that gives some sqirm room. It is really good Quality I am sure they have it in white also. I had thought about white because it is difficult to paint black rubber.
The old stuff was coming loose and was REALLY REALLY BRITTLE Broke while I was removing it.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #11

Virginia
Now I want a Black spare tire cover. Just a want not a must have. They only thing is the trim does not meet up to the window, with black it is so obvious. Goes unnoticed with white.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
When I did my Fantastic Fan installation, and removed the solar panel and repaired the leak under it I used one of those rolling stairs things. I have one that's 6 feet tall and it's nice because you can lean off the end without pushing it over like a step ladder would. The Uhaul roof is only rigid near the center, leaning on the curved part pushes it in. I had thought a scaffold type arrangement would be nice but didn't want to take the time to build one. Also considered working out of the loader bucket on my Case tractor, but the stairs thing was the quickest and easiest. Be careful using a ladder, leaning over the top of the trailer could take weight off the feet and let them slide out.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #13

Delaware
Funny that our Burro originally had black TrimLoc which got painted white so I have both with no expenditure whatsoever. I like it white even if a bit dingy. Our weather has warmed up after Easter and I'll be starting on a good scrub down and Red Max refresh later this week.

jack
Old 04-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #14

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
" Be careful using a ladder, leaning over the top of the trailer could take weight off the feet and let them slide out."
Bob, thanks this is so true, a very careful, painter friend of mine broke his arm and colar bone like that.

Also I have a dent on the front top of camper...did not know how it got there...thought a tree branch...now maybe after thinking about this, I may have done it leaning the ladder and my weight against it. Oh No!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #15

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
perhaps 2x4s placed inside with 3/4 inch plywood top and bottom plates will give some strength to the top the plywood we used, were 12" by 12". This was used under a boler roof that was like pushing on a water bed, so fragile.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote