How do you secure cabinet doors & drawers? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #41

Name: Sherman
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hilby View Post
Y'know, it looks like a cheap automotive door switch for a dome light.
After much searching with the suggestion to check with McMaster-Carr, I found out what these things are. They are a real thing (not some strange re-purpose of some other thing) called "spring-loaded captive sliding door plungers." Or just "spring-loaded plungers," depending on who you're dealing with.

The problem in the Trillium is that the plungers are "press-in" style plungers, meaning you need to use a press to install them. I can't figure out how to get the old ones out. I should have mentioned: the three that are missing aren't entirely missing. The "husk" which used to contain the spring and the pin is still there, pressed into place. Somehow the pin and the springs came out (and got lost).

So, to fix these, first I'd need to "un-press" these old ones. That's not a big deal; I'd probably just cut them out. The big deal is, I can't just find a direct replacement. I don't have a press. I need a "thread-in" style plunger that will go into the existing hole. Not impossible, but it has slowed me down considerably. Especially considering that there are other, easy ways to hold the sliding doors closed while traveling.

I've got my eyes open for fixing these some day, but I'm not actively looking anymore.
spotcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #42
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
i take everything out of all drawers and cabinets and throw it on the floor. saves time.

Thanks for the chuckle, John!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #43

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
locking latches for U-Haul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Sherman: Our quick fix to prevent our side sliding windows from opening while traveling is to shove a piece of that round foam type weatherstrip into the bottom channel. It looks like gray rope, about 1/2" diameter, soft & flexible. I had some on hand, so it was a case of use what I got. To keep the closet door shut I put a small hook & eye on that.
Mary and Bob,

I was just in a local, Tom Johnson RV Store today and they carry the same origional locking mechanizisms that where installed in my U-Haul; reasonally priced also!

George
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #44

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
we just use kiddy latches designed to keep little ones out of cupboards.
cheers
ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #45

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I was very unhappy when the drawers kept sliding open and breaking. Over time, all four of them ended up being re-glued with epoxy. My 2004 Scamp has four drawers, two and two, almost perfectly opposite, across the aisle. The brace holding them closed for travel is a piece of closed cell foam from some old shipping crate, that I had pulled out of trash many years ago. The ends are modified to lock in place between the drawers. It is about one to two inches longer than the space, so it stays in place and pushes the drawers closed. It is also light enough so it doesn't bounce out while traveling. To install it, just bend it and push it in place. It took me an hour to make, and the price was right.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT6713.jpg  
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #46
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I use a simple bolt latch on each cupboard door and drawer.

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote