How do you secure cabinet doors & drawers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #1

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
How do you secure cabinet doors & drawers?

How do you secure your cabinet doors and drawers for travel?

Someone recently posted about the Phlip-it latches for cabinet doors and those seemed like a possibility but a little pricey.

We generally use bungie cords but they seem to place stress on the drawers handles and door pulls.

So, what tricks have others come up with for ensuring that everything stays closed during travel?

Thanks!
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Nothing loose inside the cabinets to hit the doors while traveling. Generally doors come open when something inside hits the inside of the door. I use small plastic boxes in the over head cabinets. The lower cabinet things are put in such a manner that they won't hit the inside of the door. I did adjust the roller latches a bit tighter. Haven't had problem in over 6 years and some pretty rough roads.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I REALLLY REALLY REALLY like teh positive catches on my ol Boler 1700. They are a round filigree knob with a button in the middle. You place your index and middle finger under the (sort of flat) knob and press the button with your thumb. This releases a catch inside that allows the drawer or door to open. (Did i mention that I like that kind?)

And I REALLY wish someone would make them again!

Tragically, I am having to replace them on my 1978 1700 (that's for sale) as a couple went missing during winter clean up etc.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #4

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I bought a solid nylon strap,( it is not fabric), 1/8" thick 1" wide, it can be stretched like a rubber band. It has a snap on one end. it has the female button attached to the strap. The male end of the snap has a small screw hole in its center. I have the snap screwed to the top face of the tall cabinet door next to the trailer entrance door. The loose end of the strap is held in place underneath, the aluminum molding at the top of the entrance door. I stretch the band, that is hanging limp, and pull it over to the snap on the door front, and snap it in place. I bought it for a couple of bucks at the RV store.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
This is a problem we have right now on our Uhaul. Ours is an older model that apparently had the bins and liners added later, therefore the overhead cabinet latches were removed. A search at Lowes didn't result in finding anything workable. The Uhaul has two cabinet doors that flip up, and they are next to each other. So as a quick fix I installed an eye bolt at each end that extends out the right distance and we slide a wood dowel through the eye bolt and across in front of the cabinet doors. A hairpin type clip on the dowel ends keeps it in place. We only use this when traveling because this trailer bounces SO MUCH that everything inside moves around. Now we find that the closet door that has a latch, will also come open, so I have to find a way to lock it shut while on the road. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #6

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
Thanks for the replies so far...would love to hear others.

We do try to contain the things inside the cabinets and drawers in containers of one sort or another so that it is not a jumbled mess when you arrive someplace. Have not had trouble with overhead cabinets.

But, actually, in our new to us 19' Scamp we found that a few of the drawers jumped out even though they were totally empty. The Scamp roller catches on the drawers don't seem loose. I suppose they could be tightened but then that makes it harder every time you open and close the drawer...

Figure someone out there has a clever solution.....

Thanks!
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Fran, these are actually called Refrigerator Bars, but could be easily used inside a cabinet. The idea is to keep things from hitting the cabinet door and popping it open. If the cabinets are packed tightly and the bars used to hold stuff back from the opening, you should be able to arrive at your destination with everything INSIDE the cabinets.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I dont have to many problems with cabinets opening up as long as there is nothing banging up against the doors as others have suggested.

I use wire plate holders to stop the plates and bowls from sliding around in the kitchen - Ikea and Cabelas sells plastic plate and bowl holders here. I also use small plastic bins inside cabinets for keeping items from moving around. I have also used the bars that Donna suggested in a couple of cabinets. I have also line the bottom of all cabinets with the rubber type liner that helps to keep things from moving. I have from time to time had to adjust the rollers on the latches as they do tend to become loose with use.

The only door that I need to secure with something other than the standard Scamp latch is my hanging closet and its only a problem if I toss the last minute items into it when packing up and dont make sure there stowed securely so they dont shift around.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I don't have any drawers in the Fiber Stream. The upper kitchen cabinet has sliding doors with Velcro straps to hold them closed. The bathroom and closet doors have red rubber straps screwed to the wall that I bought at a local RV parts store. For travel the loop goes over the doorknob.
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Fridge and Closet.jpg Views: 34 Size: 99.3 KB ID: 45338" style="margin: 2px" /> Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen Aft.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	45339
Old 04-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #10

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i take everything out of all drawers and cabinets and throw it on the floor. saves time.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
I ran the drawer through the table saw to make a 1/4 inch deep notch right behind the drawer front. When closed, the drawer drops onto the cabinet face to keep it in place.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #12

Name: Kate
Trailer: Trillium
Washington
This is a little off topic - but I've got a Trillium 1300, and it seems whenever I travel - the screws vibrate themselves out on some of the hinges. As a result, I have some of the older positive latches that seem damaged, and either i have to SLAM them shut or re-attach the hinges every time I stop.

I had thought perhaps if I get some small nuts & locking washers or bolts for the hinges that might help, but I'd love to hear any other ideas on what to use!

Thanks
Auchtober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auchtober View Post
This is a little off topic - but I've got a Trillium 1300, and it seems whenever I travel - the screws vibrate themselves out on some of the hinges. As a result, I have some of the older positive latches that seem damaged, and either i have to SLAM them shut or re-attach the hinges every time I stop.

I had thought perhaps if I get some small nuts & locking washers or bolts for the hinges that might help, but I'd love to hear any other ideas on what to use!

Thanks
I had some screws come loose, not hinge screws. A little super glue or some other adhesive on the threads fixed that.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
My wife says I have had a screw loose for years!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #15

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
I'm pretty sure I still have some of the original posilatches from our "78 Trill if yours are damaged enough to need replacing. If your hinge screws are just screwed into the FG and have come loose repeatedly I think that bolting through with either lock washers on the back or nylox nuts would be a good idea. If you need some latches send me a PM and I'll see what I can come up with.
Reid
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Hinge screws, etc

If you are having problems with hinge screws or anything, epoxy a piece of wood behind the edge of the opening and drive the screws into that. It will spread the load out over the length of the wood and prevent FG cracking that can come from using bolts.

BTW we use shock cords for the 'closet' door and adjusted the length with a short loop of string. Then we wrap a short shock cord around the two cabinet handles under the stove/sink. The other doors haven't been a problem, except for the porta potti door which received the epoxied wood treatment mentioned above.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
In my first TT, a Rockwood, doors and drawers opening during travel was a real problem. I installed childproof safety devices in the drawers and sometimes tied door handles to each other with some string.

The door on the dorm fridge in my Burro opened during travel almost without fail. I secured it with a 5" velcro strip running from the front to the side.

No problems with my current trailer's cupboard doors, though. I found various plastic bins and cut-down cardboard boxes to fit snugly in each cupboard, so nothing can bang against the doors and force them open.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #18

Washington
There's a ten-penny nail through a hole drilled in the outer frame of the fridge, that seems to keep that secure - and I've been looking for ways to manage the space behind the doors too!

The suggestion of the wood behind the hinge side is a great one, and tomorrow I'm going to go measure what length of like 1" molding to get and secure the hinges - GREAT idea!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #19

Washington
Images of the Refrigerator 'lock'

Old 08-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #20

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Duh...thank you for the photos. Can't believe we didn't figure this out. Have "wired" it in a slightly opened position with a piece of bent coathanger during our last three trips. This is a much easier solution.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote