How do you sleep in a little 13 footer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2006, 07:49 PM   #21

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1987
Quote:
So what do you all do when you go camping in a 13 foot travel trailer?
I wanted a 16 footer, but this will have to do. Any ideas out there?

Thanks.
Dorie
Well, I'm 5'11" and my wife is 5'2". We use the dinette/bed. She sleeps next to the window where it curves in and I sleep by the sink/closet. Seems to work well.

We find that spooning helps a lot...

- Michael
MKohlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #22

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
It works best when we both sleep on our right sides at the same time or left sides at the same time. So if he rolls over, so do I.
I remember the Broadway Play, by Neil Simon: "Barefoot In The Park"

In the movie version, it was Robert Redford who said to Jane Fonda:
"...and we will be sleeping from-left-to-right Tonight!"
Old 06-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #23

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
and I'm 6ft 3in/280lbs. Trailer Goddess is 5ft 4in and tickles the scales at at demeur lbs (she TOLD me to say THAT) and we sleep (and.... ) at the rear of our Trillium with no problems,however, all of our past RV's have been on the small size and we still consider ourselves "newlyweds" and would NEVER consider sleeping apart.... (I know, WAAAA tooo much info here...LOL!!!)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 72 Boler American
In our 13 foot Boler, my wife and I sleep in the dinette area. We are both side sleepers, so it works great! I think these campers are perfect for people who are less than 6 foot tall - it seems that anyone taller will be always be ducking and scrunching.
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #25

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
Here's a picture of my good friends son sleeping in the upper bunk - he's 11 in this picture and of normal size - he fits just fine! Alec
Attached Thumbnails
max.JPG  
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #26

Trailer: Boler 1984
I'm 5'11" and the other half is 5'6". After 39 years I sleep just about anywhere.It helps to be compatable. The tables made into a bed, I'm at the back and she's by the closet. Try 8 weeks on the road in a civic and a tent coast to coast. If you still get along....that's compatable
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:27 PM   #27

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
The cushions for our 13' Boler arrived by courier today. We just unpacked them and laid them out on the floor and stretched out on them. Seems like a good fit for us (5'3" and 5'8") We even had our 90 lb dog stretched out with us. Of course, we also shared a 39" twin bed for a whole year in university ...
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:57 PM   #28

Trailer: Bigfoot
Send a message via AIM to Sam Bailey
Quote:
The cushions for our 13' Boler arrived by courier today. We just unpacked them and laid them out on the floor and stretched out on them. Seems like a good fit for us (5'3" and 5'8") We even had our 90 lb dog stretched out with us. Of course, we also shared a 39" twin bed for a whole year in university ...

I travelled from Vancouver Island to Madison, Wisconsin 7 years ago in my 13' Bigfoot with my daughter (5'11) her 7 year old and 5 year old sons and her 3 year old daughter.
The 3 year old was happy with a foamy on the floor, my daughter on the lower front bunk, the youngest grandson on the front upper bunk and me and the 7 year old in the dinette area. Believe it or not, it was quite comfortable but we had people along the way wondering. As long as you realise that you're camping and in relative comfort (compared to a tent) these little units are wonderful.
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:14 AM   #29

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Bed size was the single biggest factor in my trailer hunt. The Surfside packs a 57" bed into a 14 foot trailer. If you can't sleep comfortably, you are not going to use it.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:25 AM   #30

Trailer: 17 ft Casita
I sold my 13' scamp because I couldn't stand up straight. My 17' is great but I want to go back to 13'. At 6' can any u haul, trillium boler etc owners give me suggestions?
Thanks.......Jon farris
jon farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:43 AM   #31
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Here's a link to an old post on standing, not sleeping. (Okay, so maybe it's not appropriate on this thread.) Have a look anyway, if you like:

Interior height on scamp campers, Suggestions for tall man campers
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:28 AM   #32
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Maybe this one is a little more on topic:

Bed size - Size Does Matter!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:23 PM   #33

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
Maybe this one is a little more on topic:

Bed size - Size Does Matter!
We took our 13' Burro out for its maiden voyage (for us) last weekend to test it before heading out to South Dakota tomorrow. I'm 6' and 235 lbs. and my wife is 5'7" and just right! We slept in the back of the trailer on the dinette bed and shared a little space with our built-in AC, too. I slept in the rear and my wife took the kitchen side. It worked very well! I only scraped my shin on the AC once and know how to handle this now. If we can't stand each other some night, I can always sleep in the VW Eurovan!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:26 PM   #34
Erik Rabe

I'm 5'10" and the spousal unit is 5-foot-nothin'...

she sleeps against the wall and I get the other side. I put a piece of plywood under the exposed edge of the bed for more support (so you can sit on the edge of the bed).

perfect fit for a 13 foot scamp
Old 07-24-2006, 05:30 PM   #35

Trailer: 1987 Lil Bigfoot
Quote:
Hmm, I just thought I would try out this 1982 13 foot Burro for sleeping. So I tried the small area next to the stove on the side where the hitch is. Oh my, how small. More for a child. Then I tried the bed that is made from the dinette area. This is a little larger then a single bed. So how does a couple sleep in these little trailers...how do you get a good nights sleep? Then I thought well I could sleep on the floor. .

So what do you all do when you go camping in a 13 foot travel trailer?
I wanted a 16 footer, but this will have to do. Any ideas out there?

Thanks.
Dorie
We just bought a L'il Bigfoot and we are in the process of a total makeover. A few years ago we owned a 13 foot Scamp. We tried sleeping on the cushions, even used the ol' egg crate foam and it was terribly uncomfortable. There are just the two of us, so my husband used angle iron and made about a 2 inch extention to widen the dinette bed, and we had an innerspring mattress made to fit the shape of the trailer. It was basically a capital D shape with a notch on the two corners to fit the cupboards. What a difference it made. Then we made a little "two people dinette" where the bunks used to be. I think we will have a pillow top mattress this time (bones are getting older) and the L'il Bigfoot already has the little dinette.

We have a little problem now that I use a C-PAP machine to sleep at night. I think we will make a shelf in the bottom of the closet, cut a hole to run the breathing tube through the wall of the closet, under my husbands pillow and over to me. Isn't getting older fun?!!!! Has anyone else had to find a solution to this problem? Bonnie
Bonnie and Roger in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:31 PM   #36

Trailer: ***
Let me see...

The Trailorboat, circa 1961, has a bed exactly 47.5 inches wide and 69.0 inches long in an eight foot trailer cabin. On the other hand, the LiteHouse, circa 1996, has a bed 63.0 inches wide and 78.0 inches long (the dinette made up as the bed) in a 12.5 foot trailer cabin.

While I find the Trailorboat the most comfortable bed to be with my bride of 30 years, she does like the W-I-D-E open spaces of the LiteHouse! Guess those first twenty five years of wedded bliss sleeping in a standard double bed were the perfect preparation for camping in a FGRV, of any age and size!

Either trailer beats a tent, air matress and sleeping bag HANDS DOWN!
Dan I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:22 PM   #37

Trailer: Trillium
Quote:
I sold my 13' scamp because I couldn't stand up straight. My 17' is great but I want to go back to 13'. At 6' can any u haul, trillium boler etc owners give me suggestions?
Thanks.......Jon farris

I've got a 74 Trillium. I'm 6' tall and have no problem with headroom except for bumping my head coming out of the "bathroom".

_Don
d_wildemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:47 PM   #38

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
Either trailer beats a tent, air matress and sleeping bag HANDS DOWN!
Tell me about it!

I slept in a tent with a twin mattress for 5 whole days in Oregon at the gathering. Been a LONG time since I did that... and now I remember why LOL!

"Help, I have squatted and I can't get up".
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #39

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I was wondering how big the bed is in the Bigfoot 13; and if someone has one handy, what is the headroom like? They sure look like nice trailers.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:35 PM   #40

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
I was wondering how big the bed is in the Bigfoot 13; and if someone has one handy, what is the headroom like? They sure look like nice trailers.
Cam
I have a 1992 Bigfoot 13.5' which has a 46" x 77.5" bed. The ceiling is 72.5" in the middle of the trailer. The 13.5' gives an additional 4" of room on total interior length(10') compared to a 13' Trillium(9'8"). I think every inch counts when considering these small units. Access to the back side of the front dinette was tight so i moved the table a bit off centre(easy to do). There is a lot more upper storage in the Bigfoot because they added overhead cabinets(oak) that the Trilliums don't have. We bought a Trillium in Quebec last spring and then saw our Bigfoot half an hour later for sale at a service station. It took me all of 30 seconds to convince my wife we should buy the Bigfoot, and sell the Trillium. This may be an unfair comparison because the Trillium was a 1975 model. Bigfoot had 17 years to figure out how to upgrade their design. I just wish they hadn't changed to slider windows.
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote