how does that stabilizer work? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-23-2013, 01:14 AM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I rented a tent trailer with two of those things on the back... and no instructions, and no bar. I did as Byron describes - it worked, but I wouldn't choose them, and didn't when I added stabilizers to our Boler (I used BAL Light Trailer Stabilizing Jacks).

They do have the advantage of retracting completely above the frame bottom, which may be important if mounted at the very back.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #16

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhanso View Post
Thanks. That's what
I'm doing and neither stabilizer latches.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #17

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Thanks. That's what
I'm doing and neither stabilizer latches.
They don't actually click when they lock, it is a sliding, jamming mechanism. The way I use mine is to step on the foot to pull it all the way down, then lift on the bumper slightly which causes the stabilizer to extend just a little more, then lock when I release the bumper.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #18

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
That's an elegant method of operation, Tom. Sprezzatura trumps information occasionally. I use the bar only to put the extension foot in firm contact with the ground, usually only one click. Byron's method of firming up the extension feet by taking a turn or two on the tongue jack handle does the same. Ten turns on the handle is enuf to transfer weight from the tires to the stabilizers. Whether frame distortion or breakage is likely at that point or not, I wouldn't do it on principle. They look like jacks, operate like jacks, are sometimes referred to as jacks, and aren't jacks. Not everything that can be done should be!!!

jack
Old 09-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I don't know if this makes a difference.

We have the stabilizers drop onto 4x4s cube. As a result they are rarely fully extended. We use a 10" ratch wrench extender to firm them up once down.

We do find that with an extended stay one or the other will loosen a little and we just give them another hit.

The 4x4s came with our trailer and have a whole thru them. They store on a threaded rod that goes thru the rear bumper, This threaded rod is actually one of the bolts that holds the pasenger side stabilizer to the bumper. It's a handy location that uses unused space.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #20

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Same Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
I used to have these on all 4 corners of my previous non-fiberglass trailer and was not a fan of them.

Now I have a Scamp and like them because I use them much differently. I only have them on the back (like most Scamps). I level the trailer with the rear jacks up, move the tongue jack down 10 turns, put the jacks down in the rear, and move the tongue jack back up 10 turns. The 10 turns take a little weight off the tires and puts it on the jacks. Depending on your tongue jack you made need a different number than 10.

If I am doing it wrong, please let me know, but it sure is faster and easier.
I used the same method with my Scamp .When I picked up my Casita at the factory and was going through orientation , they recommended Eric's method for deploying the stabilizers . Trying to use the pry bar when half the time the holes don't line up is a pain in the A __ __
Old 09-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #21

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
They don't actually click when they lock, it is a sliding, jamming mechanism. The way I use mine is to step on the foot to pull it all the way down, then lift on the bumper slightly which causes the stabilizer to extend just a little more, then lock when I release the bumper.
I will try this. If it si going to work this seems the easiest way to work them.

Mine were somewhat corroded and I sprayed them with a WD40 corrosion inhibitor. Perhaps the "jamming mechanism" is now lubricated
Old 09-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #22

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
These stabilizers really are sensitive to being clean and straight. If bent or rusty they won't work that well. Good thing they are cheap!

Sounds like yours maybe a little bit of both?

Jason
Old 09-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I believe the instructions are not to lubricate. One of mine came slightly bent so it doesn't drop down. I use the ratchet extension to put it down. I also use it on the other side to tighten.

Here's a picture of our blocks, not the threaded rod above for block storage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130923_141443.png
Views:	26
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	64873

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We use a "lego" under ours. Oops. We cleaned and lubricated. We are with Donna on them being messy, just too lazy to change anything.

Nancy
Old 09-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #25

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
That's an elegant method of operation, Tom. Sprezzatura trumps information occasionally. I use the bar only to put the extension foot in firm contact with the ground, usually only one click. Byron's method of firming up the extension feet by taking a turn or two on the tongue jack handle does the same. Ten turns on the handle is enuf to transfer weight from the tires to the stabilizers. Whether frame distortion or breakage is likely at that point or not, I wouldn't do it on principle. They look like jacks, operate like jacks, are sometimes referred to as jacks, and aren't jacks. Not everything that can be done should be!!!

jack
We had these stabilizer jacks on our Little Guy Teardrop. Admittedly, the dry weight was only 1080 Lbs but the recommended method for changing a flat was to lower the tongue jack as far as it would go, lower the stabilizer jacks to the ground and crank the tongue jack back up until the tires came off the ground. Then change tire and reverse the operation. Definitely NOT recommended for long term storage.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #26

Alabama
I put them down last night.cranked up on the tongue jack and they both locked.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #27

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Glad you got them to work.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #28

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhanso View Post
Glad you got them to work.
I would feel better if I did "get them to work". Unfortunately I didn't do any particular thing.

Maybe it was just dropping them down, then cranking the tongue up.

Maybe it was the dressing up in red shoes, clicking my heels 3 times and whispering "there's no place like home". (I was desperate!!!)

Maybe it was the string of unrepeatable adjectives... (kidding)