how does that stabilizer work? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #1

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
how does that stabilizer work?

I discovered I have stabilizers on the back bumper. Except when I follow the two liner on the Scamp web site telling me how to use them there is no "click" to latch the stabilizer one notch down. It pushes the foot down, then it comes right back up again.

So... step by step, like a "for dummies" book, how do I cause the stabilizer to click down a notch and stay down there. Maybe with pictures!
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Does it look like this?

Old 09-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
there is a metal rod you insert to lower and lock.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
there is a metal rod you insert to lower and lock.
Yes, but it sounds like his lock is not holding.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I won't be any help because I hated those dang stab jacks and couldn't wait to remove them from the bumper of my Scamp. They were always filthy with road rash and always seemed to be a half-hole off. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
When the stabilizers are deployed and pushed to the ground there is often a bit of movement. If you put them down with the tongue slightly lower than level, then crank the tongue jack to bring the tongue up to where the trailer is level there should be enough pressure on the stabilizers to hold the trailer stable.

Be cautious using the bar to jack the stabilizer down or the trailer up. It's quite easy to bend the stabilizers using that bar. Don't ask how I know.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
MMDV. Never seen any disadvantage at all to these except possibly a bit awkward to deploy for folks with limited mobility in the knees and back. Fortunately for me I am still relatively spry at 66 yrs.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Here is a video

http://youtu.be/EzWRYHC-sFg
Old 09-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #9

Alabama
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Does it look like this?

Yep, that's the widget. I place a large screwdriver in the hole and push down and the foot moves down. However no sign of a latch. The tt came with screw stands which tells me the po couldn't get it either. The screw stands work but I have to get on my back under the tt to arrange and adjust. Both sides. FWIW I have two flaky knees so getting down and up is not fun.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
When you put the bar in the hole to raise it, did you put it right through to the other side using the hole that is slightly lower on the back side from the one you put the bar through on the front side?

On mine I dont use the bar to drop them down. I have to pull on them towards the middle of the bumper before they will unlock and drop down.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #11

Alabama
Pull toward the middle, they drop down and extend to hit the ground. Then?

I did, when i pushed down the bumper lifted up but no click, no latch. I don't know if there is a latch of some sort? I expected it to work like the jack of the same look. Nothing obvious to latch it.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #12

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
I used to have these on all 4 corners of my previous non-fiberglass trailer and was not a fan of them.

Now I have a Scamp and like them because I use them much differently. I only have them on the back (like most Scamps). I level the trailer with the rear jacks up, move the tongue jack down 10 turns, put the jacks down in the rear, and move the tongue jack back up 10 turns. The 10 turns take a little weight off the tires and puts it on the jacks. Depending on your tongue jack you made need a different number than 10.

If I am doing it wrong, please let me know, but it sure is faster and easier.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #13

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I have those too. Can't wait to replace those cheap things.

1) pull the stand towards the middle of the trailer. You should be able to feel the spring tension.

2)While still pulling towards the middle of the trailer against the spring, pull the stand down. It will swing around to angle away from the middle of the trailer (maybe 30 degrees?).

3) let go and the spring will pull the stand up a little. Also the stand should be locked in this position. If not pull away from middle a little and wiggle - it should lock or it is damaged.

4) the extendable foot has a friction lock. The small lever will release the foot when you push down (I push with my foot when it sticks). Gravity is usually enough to make the foot drop to the ground.

5) release the lever and push up a little to "set" the friction lock

6) optionally you can use a small round rod, inserted through both holes, to crank the foot down. This is similar to a "hi lift" or bumper jack.

As has already been pointed out, you would normally lower the front of the trailer, set the rear stands, then raise the tongue back up. Jim from EggCamper actually suggested this method. After bending mine a few times trying to jack them up I recommend Jim's direction.

Putting them back up is easy. Kick the release on both stands, hold the release while lifting the foot all the way back up, release the lever, pull the stand against the spring and swing up horizontal and let the spring pull it back into place. A quick wiggle to make sure they are locked and you are done.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #14

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Old school

I use mine the same way as Biron and Eric. I just fiqured it out old school way. Keep trying until you get it right or tear it up.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #15

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I rented a tent trailer with two of those things on the back... and no instructions, and no bar. I did as Byron describes - it worked, but I wouldn't choose them, and didn't when I added stabilizers to our Boler (I used BAL Light Trailer Stabilizing Jacks).

They do have the advantage of retracting completely above the frame bottom, which may be important if mounted at the very back.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #16

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhanso View Post
Thanks. That's what
I'm doing and neither stabilizer latches.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Thanks. That's what
I'm doing and neither stabilizer latches.
They don't actually click when they lock, it is a sliding, jamming mechanism. The way I use mine is to step on the foot to pull it all the way down, then lift on the bumper slightly which causes the stabilizer to extend just a little more, then lock when I release the bumper.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #18

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
That's an elegant method of operation, Tom. Sprezzatura trumps information occasionally. I use the bar only to put the extension foot in firm contact with the ground, usually only one click. Byron's method of firming up the extension feet by taking a turn or two on the tongue jack handle does the same. Ten turns on the handle is enuf to transfer weight from the tires to the stabilizers. Whether frame distortion or breakage is likely at that point or not, I wouldn't do it on principle. They look like jacks, operate like jacks, are sometimes referred to as jacks, and aren't jacks. Not everything that can be done should be!!!

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I don't know if this makes a difference.

We have the stabilizers drop onto 4x4s cube. As a result they are rarely fully extended. We use a 10" ratch wrench extender to firm them up once down.

We do find that with an extended stay one or the other will loosen a little and we just give them another hit.

The 4x4s came with our trailer and have a whole thru them. They store on a threaded rod that goes thru the rear bumper, This threaded rod is actually one of the bolts that holds the pasenger side stabilizer to the bumper. It's a handy location that uses unused space.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Same Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
I used to have these on all 4 corners of my previous non-fiberglass trailer and was not a fan of them.

Now I have a Scamp and like them because I use them much differently. I only have them on the back (like most Scamps). I level the trailer with the rear jacks up, move the tongue jack down 10 turns, put the jacks down in the rear, and move the tongue jack back up 10 turns. The 10 turns take a little weight off the tires and puts it on the jacks. Depending on your tongue jack you made need a different number than 10.

If I am doing it wrong, please let me know, but it sure is faster and easier.
I used the same method with my Scamp .When I picked up my Casita at the factory and was going through orientation , they recommended Eric's method for deploying the stabilizers . Trying to use the pry bar when half the time the holes don't line up is a pain in the A __ __
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote