How does this power converter work? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Trillium
How does this power converter work?

Hello.

Our Trillium has the attached convertor but we are at odds as to how it works. Obviously, when the trailer is plugged into electrical (as in at a campsite), the convertor gets switched to Transformer and everything is good. Likewise, when the trailer isn't plugged in at a campsite we put it on battery.

What we don't fully understand is what to switch it to in order to charge the battery. Is the battery charging when we're at a campsite and have the trailer plugged into the site's electrical? Also, when we're driving and the trailer is plugged into the truck, should the convertor be on battery or on transformer?

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
New Image.JPG  
Kevin Dyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #2

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
You are in luck the company that makes it, is still business and has a web site. IN the service section you can look up owners manuals for discontinued units.

I took a peak at a couple of manuals for what looked like comparable models and it doesn't look like they charge, the switch in off is simply for isolation if you don't want to draw power from the tow vehicle while connected.
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 1978 Trillium
Wow, I feel like a fool. I simply assumed that anything from a 40 year old trailer wouldn't be have anything remotely available on the internet! Thanks for the info. I've just been on the site and you seem to be correct in that the manual for the P6911 doesn't indicate anything about charging the battery. I'm going to contact the company for the final word so if I hear anything to the contrary I'll post it for others.

Again, thanks.
Kevin
Kevin Dyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #4

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
I was surprised as you were to find that they were still around yet alone still had copies of the manuals.
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #5

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
I have (1) of those-(from another old Camper).--mine DOES charge the battery in the "trans" position-mine says charges 9 amps.
when you on Batt you are taking 12 volts just off the battery.I did have to replace the fuse Holder (Radio Shack-with a different holder).
sparky1 in s.va
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The unit in my Trillium does not charge the battery. This is good since it would destroy the battery. It just supplies a DC voltage, (with a fairly large AC component). This would charge you battery, but would continue to charge after the battery is fully charged. Eventually this would boil your battery dry.

It is good for plugging in and having lights and 120VAC in the outlets inside the trailer. It runs my Fantastic fan as well.

Modern chargers go through three stages and monitor the battery charge. This converter is not a good battery charger.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #7

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
Mine has a (3) way rocker switch,
Batt
off
trans
I turn it off when I don't want it charging the old Camper battery and before i unplug the Power cord.
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1 View Post
I have (1) of those-(from another old Camper).--mine DOES charge the battery in the "trans" position-mine says charges 9 amps.
when you on Batt you are taking 12 volts just off the battery.I did have to replace the fuse Holder (Radio Shack-with a different holder).
sparky1 in s.va

I had to replace my fuse holder too...it was the cause of a humming noise...you can read lots of post where folks have reported buzz/humming noise...i wonder how many just needed a new fuse holder? Mine was sort of crappy in the blue front cover. I could not find a identical replacement so I used a ATO mini blade fuse holder...easy job..just not real pretty. But I works flawless.

good luck with your camper!
KevinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
As strictly a power converter to convert 110v to 12 volt, this 34 year old converter should work just fine.

However, as Dave stated, I would not use it to continuously charge your battery (If you have one). If you do, it will cook your battery by overcharging if you leave it plugged in and don't have a 12 volt load. A 3 stage battery charger or a combination ac power/dc power/charger distribution center should be used. If your handy with electricity it would be good to eliminate the old conveter and upgrade. Power CentersWFCO WF-8735P, WF-8735 35 Amp Power Center

IMHO

Spanke