How helpful are trailer dollies? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #15

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Bill
Since you said you are from Pittsburg what is your definition slight grade? It has been a while but I think I remember someone having a trailer getting away from them while using a dolly and they had to pull the electric brake breakway cable to stop the trailer. Does the surge brakes on the Lil Snoozy have a breakway cable if the trailer gets away from you?
The trailer dolly works great for me on level ground but I have had trailers try to get away and I had to drop one trailer off the dolly to stop it and that was on a slight grade.
Eddie

Old 01-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #16

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I use a trailer dolly as well to get my trailer onto it's parking pad next to my drive way. It's easy to move around as long as it's perfectly flat, if there's any kind of incline at all, I'd suggest having a helper. I have my son pull on a strap attached to the rear bumper while I push from the front with the dolly.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester/ 2012 Toyota Highlander
British Columbia
Registry
When we first got our trailer two years ago we pushed it onto its parking spot using a trailer jack wheel, but it was a back-killer. We then bought a trailer dolly from Harbor Freight which eased the problem, although it was still tough getting up the slight grade from the back lane to the trailer pad. Finally we hit on the idea of just backing the trailer onto the pad. With a few years of experience backing up this seems to be the easiest and fastest solution. We still use the dolly sometimes for adjusting the location of the trailer on the pad. The jack wheel sits in the garage unused.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP1347 sm.jpg  
Old 01-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #18

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
I will be careful as this scenario is cause of my apprehension.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #19

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Snell View Post
When we first got our trailer two years ago we pushed it onto its parking spot using a trailer jack wheel, but it was a back-killer. We then bought a trailer dolly from Harbor Freight which eased the problem, although it was still tough getting up the slight grade from the back lane to the trailer pad. Finally we hit on the idea of just backing the trailer onto the pad. With a few years of experience backing up this seems to be the easiest and fastest solution. We still use the dolly sometimes for adjusting the location of the trailer on the pad. The jack wheel sits in the garage unused.

Brian
I wish I could just back it in, but lack the space to meuneuver a 17 ft. trailer. It has to go in on an angle. I can back my 13 ft. tent trailer in with no problem (which incidently turns on a dime and is trickier than any 53 ft. trailer I ever backed up.)
Old 01-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Bill
Since you said you are from Pittsburg what is your definition slight grade? It has been a while but I think I remember someone having a trailer getting away from them while using a dolly and they had to pull the electric brake breakway cable to stop the trailer. Does the surge brakes on the Lil Snoozy have a breakway cable if the trailer gets away from you?
The trailer dolly works great for me on level ground but I have had trailers try to get away and I had to drop one trailer off the dolly to stop it and that was on a slight grade.
Eddie
I can't answer the question regarding the brakes as this is a new trailer that I have not taken delivery on yet. The grade does worry me. About 5%
Old 01-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #21

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
If I was physically pushing a trailer up (or pulling a trailer down) on a grade using a manual trailer dolly, I'd definitely be holding the brake break-away switch cord in my hand!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #22

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
We have a slight grade to our driveway and I"ve had trailers get a bit rambunctious on occasions while using a trailer dolly. I'm thinking of attaching a small 12 volt battery, a seven pin receptacle, and a switch on the handle so that I could plug the trailers pigtail in and use the thumb switch on the dolly to control the trailer brakes when things get exciting.

Our tent trailer has a breakaway switch but the new Scamp doesn't.

Lots of other stuff on my plate right now but I'll post back if I get around to this.

Dan
Old 03-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #23

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
yeah ....they grade thing is making me a little nervous,,,,do dollies come with brakes?

if not it would be a good invention.
it will move easy enough, just don;t let it get away on a grade or you might not stop it.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #24

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
We use a simple furniture dolly from H/F under our front jack when moving or 13' Scamp or our Compact-II. It leaves both of your hand free for pushing and checking clearances. But this is not recommended if you are not on a fairly flat and smooth surface. Here are some links:
Trailer Dolly: Trailer Dolly
Furniture Dolly: Mover's Dolly
Handle for Above: Swivel Handle for Wooden Dolly
If you search "Dolly" on the H/F site you will also find other ideas, but the wheels on their Tri-dolly are a bit puny.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #25

Name: Brian
Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester/ 2012 Toyota Highlander
British Columbia
Registry
Braking a Trailer Dolly

You can use the Harbor Freight trailer dolly in combination with the tongue jack to brake the trailer. Use the tongue jack to lower the tongue onto the ball of the trailer dolly. I found with proper adjustment of the tongue jack I can transfer the weight of the tongue from the dolly wheels back to the tongue jack to brake the trailer by moving the handle of the dolly up.

I found it is sometimes easier positioning the trailer by pinning one of the trailer wheels with chocks and pivoting the trailer sideways.

Trailer Dolly

Brian
Old 03-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #26

Name: Bizzian
Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I have never had a trailer dolly, but I do keep a teddy bear in the trailer.
Ha Ha, love it Mike. Like you, we too don't have a trailer dolly, but have a teddy bear who travels with us.
Bizzian
Old 03-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #27

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian Layne-Parkin View Post
Ha Ha, love it Mike. Like you, we too don't have a trailer dolly, but have a teddy bear who travels with us.
Bizzian
ours is a giant sock monkey!

anyway,,once you get old,,,you buy an old used riding mower, pull the deck off and stick a trailer ball on the back.
pretty handy for tucking my trailers in tight spots, and also for pulling a garden wagon around to haul dirt,weeds,grass,what ever.

and we never give the grand kids a ride on the wagon...tell grandma we don't ok?
Old 03-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #28

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
This might help
<youtube link>
Thanks for posting that Kevin, that is brilliant!

My trailer dolly will not fit under my tonneau because of the leg on the underneath used to set everything down. The hand cart does though.
I see lots of uses for a hand cart around a campsite. Firewood, water jugs, coolers etc.

For those using trailer dollies, I found that wheels used to hit the frame / battery box. I turned the wheels around (spacer to the outside) and now I swing around all the way.