How helpful are trailer dollies? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If I was physically pushing a trailer up (or pulling a trailer down) on a grade using a manual trailer dolly, I'd definitely be holding the brake break-away switch cord in my hand!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #22

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
We have a slight grade to our driveway and I"ve had trailers get a bit rambunctious on occasions while using a trailer dolly. I'm thinking of attaching a small 12 volt battery, a seven pin receptacle, and a switch on the handle so that I could plug the trailers pigtail in and use the thumb switch on the dolly to control the trailer brakes when things get exciting.

Our tent trailer has a breakaway switch but the new Scamp doesn't.

Lots of other stuff on my plate right now but I'll post back if I get around to this.

Dan
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #23

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
yeah ....they grade thing is making me a little nervous,,,,do dollies come with brakes?

if not it would be a good invention.
it will move easy enough, just don;t let it get away on a grade or you might not stop it.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
We use a simple furniture dolly from H/F under our front jack when moving or 13' Scamp or our Compact-II. It leaves both of your hand free for pushing and checking clearances. But this is not recommended if you are not on a fairly flat and smooth surface. Here are some links:
Trailer Dolly: Trailer Dolly
Furniture Dolly: Mover's Dolly
Handle for Above: Swivel Handle for Wooden Dolly
If you search "Dolly" on the H/F site you will also find other ideas, but the wheels on their Tri-dolly are a bit puny.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Braking a Trailer Dolly

You can use the Harbor Freight trailer dolly in combination with the tongue jack to brake the trailer. Use the tongue jack to lower the tongue onto the ball of the trailer dolly. I found with proper adjustment of the tongue jack I can transfer the weight of the tongue from the dolly wheels back to the tongue jack to brake the trailer by moving the handle of the dolly up.

I found it is sometimes easier positioning the trailer by pinning one of the trailer wheels with chocks and pivoting the trailer sideways.

Trailer Dolly

Brian
Old 03-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #26

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I have never had a trailer dolly, but I do keep a teddy bear in the trailer.
Ha Ha, love it Mike. Like you, we too don't have a trailer dolly, but have a teddy bear who travels with us.
Bizzian
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #27

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian Layne-Parkin View Post
Ha Ha, love it Mike. Like you, we too don't have a trailer dolly, but have a teddy bear who travels with us.
Bizzian
ours is a giant sock monkey!

anyway,,once you get old,,,you buy an old used riding mower, pull the deck off and stick a trailer ball on the back.
pretty handy for tucking my trailers in tight spots, and also for pulling a garden wagon around to haul dirt,weeds,grass,what ever.

and we never give the grand kids a ride on the wagon...tell grandma we don't ok?
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #28

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
This might help
<youtube link>
Thanks for posting that Kevin, that is brilliant!

My trailer dolly will not fit under my tonneau because of the leg on the underneath used to set everything down. The hand cart does though.
I see lots of uses for a hand cart around a campsite. Firewood, water jugs, coolers etc.

For those using trailer dollies, I found that wheels used to hit the frame / battery box. I turned the wheels around (spacer to the outside) and now I swing around all the way.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #29

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I have the Harbor Freight dolly, too, and it's handy for pushing the single axle trailer sideways a bit to make some clearance in the driveway. The only problem is that the U-Haul tongue prevents me from turning as sharply as I would like. The big pneumatic tires make it move much more easily on asphalt than the plastic wheel. If my driveway were level and smooth concrete, I wouldn't need it.

Regards,

Matt
Old 03-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #30

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I purchased a trailer dolly on kijiji for $40. I have a sloped driveway that requires help pushing the trailer up. The potential for disaster has occurred to me. I am considering a dead man switch. My idea is to have a small 12V battery installed on the dolly along with a 7 prong plug, plug the trailer into the dolly and the brakes lock up, hold down some sort of paddle switch and the brakes release. That way if I fall, the brakes lock up. I will need to work out the cost.

Does anyone take their dolly with them when they camp?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #31

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
"How helpful are trailer dollies?" I have never yet had one volunteer to help me with anything!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #32

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Hey Roger & Martin

If you had left the motor on your machines you could have power moved your rigs, save on the back pushing.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #33

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I mounted a 2" receiver onto the bucket of my front end loader. It makes it easy to maneuver the trailer. But that's not a Harbor Freight solution.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote