How important front window covering - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
I greatly appreciate all that I am learning on this site and I have decided that Compact Jr. Trails west campster is what I am looking for. This Hunter I showed up in a search. Looks a little rough or maybe just oxidized. I notice there is no protector for the front window how important is this?

As an aside: If you asked some one closer to take a look at a trailer because you are far away what is fair compensation?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/rvs/447617796.html
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:35 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
I notice there is no protector for the front window how important is this?
They are an option, not a requirement. They are nice to have, but if it doesn't, I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Fair compensation is a good question.I personally would not expect anything if unit was close by, but if i had to spent some time driving and using gas , meal etc i think that should be paid for, other than that maybe a nice (Your Choice) gift.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Kent:

Our UHaul is missing the front cover, as was the Burro we had before our UHaul. My husband prefers it this way, as he can see the traffic that is following us through the windows of the trailer. We saw no problems although we tend to stay on main highways.

CindyL
Old 10-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I have a Lady Rodder friend (lives in Sedro Woolley WA) who tows an Echo with NO front rock guard. One afternoon towing her trailer north bound on I-5 on a warm (to hot) N.W. afternoon the front window collapsed inward due to the heat softening the window seals and the force of the head on wind. She drove on for a couple miles and her husband (who was following her in his own car) pulled along side of her and told her to pull over ASAP!!! It turns out the collapsed fron widdow allowed the wind into the trailer and the force grew to such an extent that it blew out the rear window onto the freeway sucking out of the trailer along with it ANYTHING it could pick up and move. This included window coverings, towels, sheets small pillows, blankets clothes (jacket with several hundred $$ in it pockets) and a large amount of her 'collectables' which she usually sets up as a trailer display at a rod run. Fortunately she was able to retreive almost everything and no one following along behind her contacted anything airborn soo NO harm done except for major embarisment, lost time and a few lost items.

Front rock guards; Do You Need One???
YES, either from the factory OR retro-fit ....they are important.

Thats my 2 cents worth (Canadian or 1 1/2 cents American ......now )
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:10 PM   #6

Trailer: Compact Jr
Holy mackerel.

Sis' Compact Jr. apparently used to have a rock guard. What it has now is a sheet of 1/8 inch Plexiglas, mounted on the same studs that the rock guard mounted to, held by wingnuts. At the very least it ought to keep a flung-up piece of gravel from cracking the glass.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I have a Lady Rodder friend ... who tows an Echo with NO front rock guard ... on a warm (to hot) N.W. afternoon the front window collapsed inward due to the [b]heat softening the window seals and the force of the head on wind ...
Wow! That's a sobering occurance.

I was going to report that I pulled my Compact Jr from Southern California to Upstate New York on at least 2 occasions without incident, a total of 14,000 miles. It had a one piece stationary front window in an aluminum frame. I think the Hunter's front window has a similar frame, even though it has a 3-section operable window.

Was the tragic Eco's window one of those in a rubber/plastic gasket?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:06 AM   #8

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Hey Kent,
Personally my Compact II has the original rock guard on the front window. While it seems a hair flimsy it does seem to do it's job of protecting the front windows while traveling, and when I get to my destination it makes a nice shade of sorts as well. Never fear though, if you're the least bit handy I'd bet you could make one, or retrofit one from another trailer. Heads up on that Hunter I though, it looks like the canvas for the popup top is totally gone, so that would be a BIG bargaining tool in the price in my opinion... Overall from what I can see from the whole TWO pics they posted and from reading the post it sounds like it's been gutted and redone without any appliances. That's a shame considering it has the exterior venting for a refrigerator. Who knows what other nice accessories it had that are long gone...
Anyway, good luck on your hunt! Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
Wow! That's a sobering occurance.

I was going to report that I pulled my Compact Jr from Southern California to Upstate New York on at least 2 occasions without incident, a total of 14,000 miles. It had a one piece stationary front window in an aluminum frame. I think the Hunter's front window has a similar frame, even though it has a 3-section operable window.

Was the tragic Eco's window one of those in a rubber/plastic gasket?
Yes one piece rubber(ized) plastique!!! I realize this is probably an isolated occurance, but IF it happens ONCE and IS preventable, its worth the deal.

I've always maintained that there should be NO compromises where/when safety is a concern, but then, thats just ME,
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote