How Insure Trailer After Renovation? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #1

Name: Janine
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer
California
How Insure Trailer After Renovation?

We bought a 1988 Perris Pacer at the beginning of this year and fixed up the inside and recently had the outside spruced up (new paint, fixed door, new windows, lights, new frig, cushions, etc.)

Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to insure it. Our insurance company, USAA, referred me to a company they work with that insures "collectible" vehicles. I have not talked to them yet. But I was wondering how to think about figuring out the right way to cover it.

Our initial purchase was under $5k, but we have now put in at least that much. I don't know how to think of its value.

Anyone have any advice? (I will post photos soon--I can't believe how great it looks! But now I'm nervous to take it camping. Haha.)

Thanks,
Janine Robinson
LagunaDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Ask your ins carrier if they have a "Stated Value" rider for your policy. With that, in the event of a total loss, you set the maximum value, but keep in mind that they will not pay out a greater than actual replacement value. That is, if you insure it for $100k they won't just fork over $100k, you still have to prove that is it's replacement value.

In your case you might be able to show current for sale prices plus receipts for improvements you made, but don't look for much credit for your labor.

Talk to your ins guy and if he/she doesn't know what you want, try a higher level person in the underwriting department.

I routinly collect For Sale Ads to use as value referencee for ins claims.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #3

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I talked to American family about this. The local office gave me the number of an appraiser to call, and then I'll do a stated value policy. I have to get it done first, though.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Bob and Jared have given you good advice. The names for different types of insurance may differ geographically, but the appraisers use listings and past sales to substantiate your value.
  1. Your receipts provides a minimal baseline value
  2. Collect listings to prove your perceived value or learn what comparable trailers have sold for. Don't limit yourself to the Perris Pacer only, use similar body styles too.
  3. Armed with that, you are now ready for an appraiser. Keep in mind the seasonal fluctuations on values.
There are other threads here that might contain information specific to your geographic area. It is worth the search.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #5

Receipts are also useful to show added value such as new tires & added features such as the Flat screen TV & inverter and updated appliances. Remember, you are also insuring for theft.

The sold ads in fiberglass-rv-4sale only show the original asking prices. Unfortunately, as the site also strips out contact information, it's very useful to compile original for sale ads so you can follow up on with the sellers if necessary. Following and printing out eBay final sales pages is also useful, but you will have to save the ad into your My eBay file, or save the original URL for it, to see the sold prices.

FWIW: Blue Book sites, such as NADA usually have very, very low values on RV's over about 5 years old. This may be because older RV's are usually bought for cash and buyers (and sellers) often report lower purchase prices when re-registering to avoid paying higher sales taxes. In CA reporting $5k for a Scamp you paid $10k for will save about $500 in 1st time registration fees (but I'm not suggesting that).

Let us know how the appraisal process goes.....

Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
The sold ads in fiberglass-rv-4sale only show the original asking prices. ....
Some of the archived ads actually list a "sold for" price. I'm not sure how Greg is getting the info but I've seen it. Possibly the ones listed through his site?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #7

California
Thanks for Helpful Tips--and Stay Tuned...

Hi,

Thank you all for the helpful information. I'm still trying to figure it out, but at the moment, USAA has told us that our camper is "insured" and if something happened to it it would be covered for its "cash value." However, they cannot tell me what that would be or how they would determine that.

My understanding, based upon what you all have said, is that it would be up to us to make a case for its cash value, based on the value of comparable trailers and receipts for what we have spent on it.

Thanks again for your help! (I may give Hartford a call and see what they have to say. But we have been with USAA forever, and suspect they are still our best option.)

*What I don't understand is why this is so difficult to figure out. Aren't there tons of collectible vehicles (vintage cars, etc.) on the road, where owners have increased their value by thousands through renovations, and who insures those?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #8

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Like I said, get an appraisal.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #9

There are a number of resources to help determine the value of "Collectible" cars such as auctions, many, many appraisers and even collectors publications such as Hemmings Motor News.

And owners don't actually increase the value through restoration, they just bring it closer to where it could be. If an owner of a MB 540K tried to increse it's value with some non-stock additions it would depreciate the vehicles value. It's an entirely different market.

But the bad news is that almost all of those policies have very restrictive use clauses to reduce exposure that will limit use to well below what you would want for an everyday use RV.

The terms "Collectable: and "RV" are still, with a very, very few exceptions, mutually exclusive terms.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #10

California
More Info on Insuring our Perris Pacer

Well,

I spoke with an adjuster from USAA, who then referred me to a third party, Progressive Insurance, and got a real quote from them for a specific sum. Without going into all the details, they will insure our trailer for $10K (plus $1K if loose things inside are stolen) for collision coverage and theft for about $220 a year. For $15K coverage, they want $266. (So, if our trailer is damaged/ruined in a collision, we do not have to prove it's "cash value" at the time in order to get that amount paid to us.)

I have to get it appraised to prove the current value of the PP, but we have receipts to cover at least $10K. Also, the body shop guys who painted it and made other improvements (Pacific RV in Garden Grove, CA--they did a great job, btw) told us that its value is at least that, since it's a "collectible" and all that.

I feel like I'm making some headway, but it's not a done deal yet. I am going to call at least one other insurance company to get another quote.

Janine