How is a vent supposed to be attached to a roof? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #29

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
It appears they used "Dicor" which in the other rv world is used exclusively on roofs and vent installations. Like someone said, it was not installed to be seen from the road. Dicor is a very good product and should keep it waterproof. I intend on covering my screws and caulk around my Egg with it. It is made for fiberglass, unlike silicone. I would not worry about it.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #30

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Phillips View Post
Although i dont have pictures at the moment, but for what its worth, I just picked up our new 16' Scamp two months ago from the factory and that is excatly how my fantastic fan is installed. lots of beads and globs of silicone.

edit: Ok after looking at your pic a little closer i would say that they went way to heavy on the silicone. My fan has a small bead around the perimeter and a glob on every screw head.

The factory installs with pop rivets. Pop rivets need a dab of caulk to seal them. There's a leak path around the pin in the center. If you remove any of the caps on the other rivets you'll find a bit of caulking there too.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #31

Name: Paul McEwan
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Send a message via MSN to Paul McEwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
If you don't mind, allow me to toot my own horn. Check out my website, and this recent thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...38632&st=30

If I can be of any help, let me know.
Thanks Robert, I think you might be a little far off for me to take it too.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 05-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #32

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McEwan View Post
We took our trailer in to (remains nameless at the moment)
Hi Paul,

Yikes!

How about telling us who did this vent "job" so we can make sure to avoid taking our business there?

Francesca
Old 05-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #33

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McEwan View Post
We took our trailer in to (remains nameless at the moment), to have a fantastic fan (and heater) installed in our 76, 13' Trill and we're scratching our heads at the gobs of caulking used.

My understanding is bitchathane tape should be used with some kind of mechanical fastening finished with a thin bead of caulking. It looks to me like they have used the caulking as the preferred method of fastening.

Before we fire off emails, can anyone enlighten us to these fan retrofits and method of installs?

Attachment 28468

The heater install is worse, (one thing at a time)
I replaced my roof vent yesterday. Here is what mine looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
IM001549.jpg  
Old 05-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #34

Name: Amanda
Trailer: 1985 Tiny U Haul
California
Registry
Horrible job! On our last restoration we installed a vent with butyl tape between the roof of the trailer and the top edge of the vent. Then used hex head crews to secure. On the underside we added sealant then added the decorative molding.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #35

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaBee View Post
Horrible job! On our last restoration we installed a vent with butyl tape between the roof of the trailer and the top edge of the vent. Then used hex head crews to secure. On the underside we added sealant then added the decorative molding.
That is how I installed mine. I used butyl strip caulk and Stainless Steel Button-head hex bolts with neoprene backed washers on the outside and the inside against the elephant hide. I also used locking nuts. I checked it last night during a very heavy rain and it was as dry as it should be. One other thing I did was to sand the surface of the camper thoroughly and cleaned it with some rubbing alcohol where the vent would be placed. I am going to apply a little caulk to the inside to finish it out. We have a full 5 days of rain in the forecast so I will wait until after that to finish it just to be sure it doesn't leak.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #36

Name: Paul McEwan
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Send a message via MSN to Paul McEwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi Paul,

Yikes!

How about telling us who did this vent "job" so we can make sure to avoid taking our business there?

Francesca
Francesca, it was a little place near Vancouver called TRAVCO RV.

When I picked it up the guy actually told me how he dislikes working on these trailers because they aren't square and the owners complain a lot...

I think they a like big rip a part - clean out the dry-rot - type of jobs on regular wood frame trailers. Someone previously stated in this thread that they are not craftsmen and I agree but I really thought the job would be done properly.

You should see the heater replacement. I have video. Just putting it together.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 AM   #37

Registry
"Aren't square"???
Well, the roof is flat, isn't it?
What could be simpler than a vent install?
I'll bet their "sticky" customers would get a nasty surprise too if they ever got up on the roof!
I'll bet nobody's ever actually LOOKED before.

I hope they make it right somehow

Francesca
Old 05-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #38

Trailer: 1976 Surfside TM14
Sorry to see that some install workers can get repeat business after doing a job like that. I had to retro fit a 14 inch vent to replace my factory 8 inch one on my surfside tm 14. The original one held on with rivits , and worked fine until the seal failed. Replaced it with a hengs 14 metal vent. The wooden frame for the inside you will have to make it yourself, since it does come with these replacement vents, or have a person with carpenter skills to make one. my install is done like alf.s works perfect
Old 05-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #39

Registry
I realize this is a bit off-topic, but since I don't see Klaus in the introductions thread, I hope nobody minds if I say this here:

Hi, Klaus, and welcome to the Forums!

I just want to say that you have the COOLEST last name, I kid you not!
I'm a language-oriented type, and names are a subject of great interest to me.
Until now, my favorite has been "Traenkenschuh", the name of a fellow I used to work with.
I'm proud to say that I'm the only person he'd ever met that could spell his name correctly on the first try!

Francesca
Old 05-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #40

i had my wife hold the ring up to the inside of the roof and also predrilled the holes the plywood ring.Also i drilled the holes in the roof the same size as the vent, then get 4 screws that are about 1 to 2 inches longer to frst tempoary hold the ring up there as guide holders.Next go all around evenly and install all the install screws untill the inside ring is tight against the ceiling , and watch you sealing putty stays where it should be . and remove the excess and the the screws should seal with the putty there.Just a little note here , im going to get better at posting one of these days and have some one show me how to attach pictures.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #41

oh sorry i didnt mention on my last post thank you for the nice welcome and comment on my name, thanks again and have a nice day klaus
Old 05-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #42

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLAUS TIEKENHEINRICH View Post
how to attach pictures.
Hi, Klaus

Here's what I think is the easiest way to post pictures:
If you click on "Go advanced" in the "reply" box below, it'll take you to a "bigger" reply page.
It's the same page you're sent to if you click on "reply" in somebody's post that you want to comment on.
Down at the bottom of that page, you'll see "manage attachments".
Click on THAT, and a box will open up that prompts you to "choose file" (from your computer), or from other sites (upload URL). The "choose file" option opens your computer photo file and once you've chosen a picture there, click on "upload" and -TA-DA!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your projects!

Francesca