How is Interior Paint Holding Up over time??? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #1

Name: Lorraine
Trailer: 1972 13' Boler
New Brunswick
Registry
How is Interior Paint Holding Up over time???

I purchased a 1972 13' boler a couple of weeks ago with peeling latex paint in the interior over the foam ensolite.The previous owner has painted with latex aprox 3-4 years ago. I have spent hours peeling (over 8 hrs total with the hairdryer to warm paint) and it will be several more hours before I am done peeling.
The walls beneath are a light tan/light khaki color, and I think the ensolite foam had never been painted before the latex. I was going to repaint, but now am scared to.
I know there are lots of previous posts on painting the ensolite in a trailer, but I'd like to know how those paint jobs are holding up over time....I never want to peel paint off of this trailer again!!!!

Old 08-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #2

Name: Michel
Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Quebec
Registry
I'm afraid I cannot help, hope it won't happen to me, previous owner did paint it with exterior latex 3-4 years ago as well, but it is still holding fine. May be how well the prep job was done is making the difference?

Old 08-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel, Bouchard View Post
I'm afraid I cannot help, hope it won't happen to me, previous owner did paint it with exterior latex 3-4 years ago as well, but it is still holding fine. May be how well the prep job was done is making the difference?
I painted my interior five years ago -- Zinzer white primer overcoated with 2 coats of white floor enamel.

It has held up about as good as one could expect. There are a few places where something contacted it below the waist line and the enamel is cracked there and a few small dings in the overhead. Overall I am happy enough, with no areas peeling or anything like that.

This is always a concern, though. At the time I did it, I felt there was a risk of a peeling problem later on, since there was no way to do a proper sanding. Even the cleaning was spotty. That's why I decided to paint!

So -- I took a risk and it is still OK. But no guarantees!
Old 08-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #4

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
I'd suggest a real good cleaning with liquid TSP and a real good rinse. Then 2 coats of good primer e.g. Kilz before painting.
Mine has not been that long, but has held up pretty good so far.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
California
Registry
Our paint is only about a year old. However, we have over 8 weeks of full time use and cleaning. No problems so far. We used Kilz primer (3 coats) and then 3 more coats of Behr Premium interior semi gloss. It is still flexible enough I'm not worried about cracking and shows no sign of peeling. I tried to remove some of the paint from a test sample and it would not come off - the foam tore first. Hope this helped...

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #6

Name: Barbara
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
painting interior

We painted ours either 7 or 8 years ago (have lost track). I cleaned first with tilex used no primer and did not try to sand. I used oil based melamine paint and it looks the same today as it did then. No peeling or cracking and easy to wipe down.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #7

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Mine's been about 5 years and looking good. I have a few touch ups to do where things have scraped the walls and knocked off a bit of paint. I used Zinsser Perma White, I think it took 2-3 coats and I cleaned the walsl with every cleaner known to man before painting.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #8

New Brunswick
Registry
I think maybe the previous owner either did not clean the ensolite well enough or used inferior latex.I am still scraping( with my thumbnail and using tweezers)...it's a long old process! I pick until my arm gets numb then stop for the day......In some areas the paint is on like it should be and is difficult to get off and in other areas it pulled off in nice strips! She even painted over the black rubber around the windows...so that'll have to be removed too!
Thanks for all the info!
Old 08-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #9

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I would guess you are right about the poor/no prep. The sort of painter who would paint right over the rubber window seals is not likely to have been fastidious in prepping. Sure makes a job for you though - darnit.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Painted the "hide" with Zinsser Perma White over four year ago. Heavy use with two adults and two kiddos and no issues on the paint.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #11

New Brunswick
Registry
I had never heard of Zinsser Perma paint before......it looks like it gets good reviews online also, and it's Mold & Mildew Proof ......if I ever get up the courage to try painting the ensolite again,I think this might be my paint of choice!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 1978 Boler 17 ft
Surface Prep is the key. Before you paint ensure the surface is clean. Simple

Tags
paint, painting