How level is level - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: scamp 13
Wisconsin
How level is level

What are the tolerances for being level for a scamp 13 to be safe for proper operation of fridge? Also could anyone comment on typical maintainance for Dometic fridge. Thanks
Nosirrahrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
With newer refrigerators, level is not as critical as some older (20 years) units. If the trailer feels comfortably level to walk around in, you are probably good to go. I always carried a very inexpensive Harbor Freight plastic level that cost less than a dollar. I would first level the trailer side to side using blocks, then front to back using the tongue jack. Lots if time, I would not detach the trailer for several days and there would be some noticeable , but not inconvenient slope to the trailer, and the refrigerator worked well.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:28 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Another way to look at it: if you can sleep comfortably in it, it's level enough.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Regarding level, a quick search found this:

"Thank you for contacting Dometic. The refrigerator should not be more than 3 degrees unlevel left to right, or 6 degrees unlevel front to back. We do not recommend having the unit unlevel for more than 1-2 hours as this can increase the chances of a blockage. However, we do recommend if you can, have the unit level at all times."

This was posted in 2017 in the irv2 forum by someone who owns a Dometic RML8555 fridge. They had emailed Dometic and received this response. If you want specific guidance on your fridge, email the manufacturer.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #5

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
6 degrees is a LOT. Even 3 degrees is pretty drastic inside the trailer. So yeah, as long as your fridge is fairly new, you're fine if you're comfortable in it. If I'm parking for more than 15 minutes and I can't find anywhere flat, I turn off the fridge.

There's a lot of info out there on fridge maintenance. The burner assembly is what needs to be cleaned about once a year. Burner jet, burner, and very occasionally the chimney flue.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:10 PM   #6

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Another way to look at it: if you can sleep comfortably in it, it's level enough.
I've never been able to sleep comfortably in my fridge....
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #7

Name: aj
Trailer: Roamer TC
Georgia
If you can see the back side of the refrigerator you will see slightly slanted pipes, probably at less than 3 degrees slope. These are the issue. The liquid will get trapped in these if it is not able to run down the spiral pipes continuously. Liquid gets stuck and damage is done in the boiler part from lack of enough liquid.
As long as the pipes have a down slope you are fine.
You can see front-to-back there is more pipe than side-to-side so is the reason they give two different angles which you can be leaning.

I was surprised they said it could be out of level for so long. I always figures 10 mins would start the damage process. Is good to know if it is true.

While you are driving the liquid gets sloshed around so much that level is not a factor.

The refrigerator should not be more than 3 degrees unlevel left to right, or 6 degrees unlevel front to back.
I think this is the refrigerator, not the trailer, dont get this confused. The two are 90 degrees rotation off each other if fridge is on a side wall. Trailer 3 degrees front to back, 6 side to side.
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #8

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
I've never been able to sleep comfortably in my fridge....
You must be seriously pampered Mine suits me just fine.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:10 PM   #9

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Wink Casita

We keep plenty of 10" long 2x6 wood blocks for the purpose..keep that bubble "betewwen the lines" and no problemo..a bit head up for sleeping, but still w/in the bubbles.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
You must be seriously pampered Mine suits me just fine.
What bwand is you fwidge?...A Westinghouse??
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:43 AM   #11

Montana
I joined the circus when I was young and trained as a contortionist...
Old 08-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #12

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Thanks aj. That seemed wrong to me as well.
Walt
Old 08-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #13

Name: Connie
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
LOL......that was funny widgetwizard. Glad to see people's humor. ��
Maneelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
fridge level

We use a simple 9" level to check whatever we can control (mostly front to back slope) in our 2009 13 ft Scamp. Never had a problem with the fridge. Years ago, had fridge in a van that NEVER seemed to work, and I suspect it was far more sensitive re: level than my 2009 Dometic is. (and of course I was much less informed....)
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosirrahrick View Post
Also could anyone comment on typical maintainance for Dometic fridge. Thanks
I don't know that there is a lot of maintenance involved. Mostly we see people having issues with maintaining adequately cold temperatures, particularly with side-vented applications.

Here's a link to brief article with a couple of thoughts regarding operation and maintenance.

5 Tips For RV Refrigerator Maintenance

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:23 PM   #16

Name: Bush
Trailer: Vagabond
Nevada
I've always found it too cold to sleep in my refrigerator, my wife has hot flashes so she prefers it.
BushWacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:38 PM   #17

Name: Keith
Trailer: 1976 Prowler
British Columbia
Mine works quite well being out a 1/4 inch at 2 feet. Much more than that not so good. Hope that helps.......
Caribooredneck is offline   Reply With Quote