How many people... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #1

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
How many people...

...use the stock fresh water filler that seems to be ubiquitous to small fiberglass trailers? I don't know exactly what to call it, but it looks like a tiny urinal with a flip-up cover. I know we're supposed to relax, slow things down, smell the roses,....but standing outside the camper, holding a heavy water jug AND a funnel, while splashing water on my feet for 10 minutes, does not seem like anything but a ridiculous chore. What were they thinking? Am I missing something?

I moved the "city water" filler over to that inlet, and just use a hose when I can. I keep my hand on the water spigot and my eye on the overflow line under the tank. If I don't have that opportunity, I have a hatch cover on the tank to expedite the refill job.

What do you do?

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Going *In* the "Out" passageway

A Casita owner showed me the cool mod he did while we were at the Oregon Gathering. I simplified his design since my water tank was already half way there.

A previous owner of my Fiber Stream trailer had installed a regular "Hose Bib" valve as the drain fitting on my fresh water tank. All I had to do is buy a Double Female Adapter. Now, instead of the "City Water" fitting, I connect the white water hose to the Fresh tank Drain valve. I open the Hose Bib valve and turn on the source water faucet, watching for it to come out of "normal" water tank fill port. I close the trailer fresh tank drain hose bib valve first, then the source faucet.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:02 PM   #3

Registry
Sheesh! I have a dedicated hose for filling the fresh water tank and I have an inline filter both get used. I rarely need to fill from some vessel. No what happens with fresh water system with a hose connected to fill it when it full? Where does the excess water go? I think the plumbing going to hand pump would blow out and dump water all over the inside of the trailer, that wouldn't be good at all.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:07 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
A Casita owner showed me the cool mod he did while we were at the Oregon Gathering. I simplified his design since my water tank was already half way there.

A previous owner of my Fiber Stream trailer had installed a regular "Hose Bib" valve as the drain fitting on my fresh water tank. All I had to do is buy a Double Female Adapter. Now, instead of the "City Water" fitting, I connect the white water hose to the Fresh tank Drain valve. I open the Hose Bib valve and turn on the source water faucet, watching for it to come out of "normal" water tank fill port. I close the trailer fresh tank drain hose bib valve first, then the source faucet.
Oops! I forgot to say that I then remove the hose and put it away. I have an my electric water pump.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:10 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Oops! I forgot to say that I then remove the hose and put it away. I have an my electric water pump.
The standard inlet lets air and water out. So it's not a problem for you. Those that remove the gravity feed inlet to a pressure inlet could be in for trouble. The overflow isn't big enough to handle the excess.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:16 PM   #6

Idaho
Registry
just to clarify...

As I mentioned, I watch the overflow hose while I have one hand on the spigot (faucet), ready to turn it off the moment I see water pouring out. I only open the faucet far enough to get a 1 1/2 - 2 gallons per minute flow. Until it's full, that incoming water is just displacing air. The overflow hose hangs below the edge of the Scamp about 2 inches. When I'm not filling the tank, I keep that hose stoppered with a small rubber cork (if anyone's interested, I'll try to post a photo of how I secured that cork to keep from losing it. Very low tech). I found that, after filling, about 2 gallons of water could slosh out through that tube while on the road.

Gordon
Old 04-26-2016, 06:27 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I use the Camco Water tank filler on a camco water filter connected to a dedicated fresh water hose.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:33 PM   #8

Idaho
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I use the Camco Water tank filler on a camco water filter connected to a dedicated fresh water hose.
Dave & Paula
Dave.
Is that filler flexible enough to make the turn?

Gordon
Old 04-26-2016, 06:47 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
Dave.
Is that filler flexible enough to make the turn?

Gordon
Yes, it is nothing more than a clear flexible hose with attachment to a garden hose.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:53 AM   #10

Idaho
Registry
Dave,

Well, that's the answer, then. I probably could have saved myself a little trouble had I known that product existed. But my filler cup thing was broken anyway, so I had to replace it with something, and the city water inlet was right there on the street side, never to be used by me as it was intended.

Thanks,

Gordon
Old 04-27-2016, 08:24 AM   #11

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
On my earlier Casita and now my Bigfoot I installed a takeoff from the city water line that runs to the fresh water tank with a simple cutoff valve.

Walt
Old 04-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #12

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Now I'd like to see the inlet on your Casita...have a photo?

On my Bigfoot, there's a little cylinder that slides out, with the top cut out. I just take my hose (I've never used a jug to fill my tank either) end and stick it in there. If I close the slide-out a little, it holds the hose in place. Then I just go inside and check the water tank. When it's about 90% full, I go back outside, let it flow another minute, then call it good.

I don't think it's ever taken more than 3-5 minutes and once it's set up and flowing, it's hands free.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote