How many people fit? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2003, 10:53 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
How many people fit?

Just a quick survey:

How many people do you typically to camping with in your Glass camper? (please also mention the make/model/length)

To explain:
I'm typically going out with 4 people in a 13' Boler.

Reason for asking:
After last summer's trips (limited experience) I'm wondering if the Boler is gonna be able to cut it for us for TOO much longer.

So - is EVERYBODY just going out as couples? Are there families using 13 footers, 16 footers, etc etc???

Thanks!

mkw

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 11:50 AM   #2

Pack em in!

Mike,
I told you the other day about my trip with two friends from Chicago to Phoenix and back. At the time, I stood 6'1", one friend was 5'10", and friend two was 6'7". Guess who got the double bed. The Boler belonged to my folks, who bought it for our family of four. My sister (two years older than I) and I were both in HighSchool at the time. We used it once as a family. Mom hated it. But, then, mom had at 3700 square foot home and used every inch of it. She still "expresses concern" when I tell her I'm looking for a 13 footer. However, my friends and I had a ball. Didn't spend much time inside, though. When we got home, several people said they were praying for us -- not so much for safety on the road, but that we wouldn't come home hating each other. We didn't.

The real question is how do you use it? When my folks camp (ShadowCruiser 5th wheel these days), they are either out walking, or inside reading. They live in it, and therefore relish the space. My family basically sleeps in it, and prepares any food that doesn't grill well. We are only inside when its raining or bedtime. We do our sitting around the fire.

The other question is how well do your kids get along. I can tell you right now, the Boler would have been a bad deal for my sister and myself. Shoot - the 3700 square foot home was a bad deal for my sister and myself! Two boys? Great for them, you'll go nuts. Two girls? No camper is big enough if one gets cranky. One of each? Experience warns me not to answer.

Seriously, four can SLEEP ok in a 13' model, but thats about all they can do. And, I'd think humidity might be a problem. But, with a fan or A/C, and if you spend most of your time outside, it should work ok. Rainy days could be rough.

A 16' trailer really doesn't add much functional space to a camper, but it increases the people space dramatically. That might be a good fit for you. Your tow vehicle can handle it, certainly. There is a big weight penalty for the 16 -- 50% more weight for 30% more space.

Did I answer your question? I still want to come see your Boler some time. Paul

Old 01-15-2003, 12:24 PM   #3

solo in a 16 casita.......

......usually- it's great. At races and such I have had one or two friends along(5-4 and 6-5) but consider two max for my unit. I have 2 sleeping areas but the big guy was on the floor!!! I think Casita says 3 in my Spirit deluxe but it had better be an intimate couple in the double berth.

Old 01-16-2003, 06:44 AM   #4

Our kids are grown

Mike, our kids are grown ... but even now, one or two of them (and a spouse or fiance) still come along for the fun ... and bring tents and sleeping bags.

Everyone uses the trailer facilities, 24/7 ... except for the occasional visit to a tree during the night.

We now have a 17 foot Casita Liberty Deluxe in the king-bed mode. I'm 6'4" ... my son is taller. When we went to visit him in college, he would come camp in a tent with a couple of friends.

One really rainy night, we slept everyone inside, every which way. It was fun ... but crowded.

Usually it's just Pam, me and Maggie Mutt.

I realize times are different now. And I don't know the ages/sex of your kids ... or your camping "frequency". But if it's just the occasional weekend ... and the kids are too little to allow them to safely camp outside in a tent by themselves, you can take turns with your kids, "camping out" with the oldest ones in the tent while your spouse keeps the little ones inside the trailer.

Most campgrounds allow 1 rv and multiple tents.

Some of my fondest memories are tent-camping 1-on-1 with each of my kids through various Indian Guide or Scouting programs ... but also just "camping-for-camping-sake"

Don't overlook the benefit of this close-quarter, quality-type time with your kids.

Some folks' idea of quality time is in a large stick-built trailer, where the kids have separate bedrooms or bunks, and the parents sleep off by themselves in another part of the trailer.

Might as well stay home with that kind of arrangement!

Old 01-16-2003, 09:04 AM   #5

Space is relative

I think it's pretty much already been said (and very well, I might add). Ask yourself two questions: How well do they car travel together? Do they enjoy camping? Then you'll have your answer. IF they enjoy being outdoors, then they will play so hard during the day that they will fall asleep exhausted by days end. I think the tent idea is great. In fact, I'm getting ready to get one so that my dog will have room to turn around. I found one that is a bit pricey, but it sets up in two minutes. It's a screen room with flaps so can be used in summer or winter.

Old 01-16-2003, 08:41 PM   #6

Hi Mike

We have a 13' Trillium and two girls 16 and 14. The 14 year old is still OK with the trailer if she doesn't have a friend with her. The eldest prefers her tent and for the last two years has had her boyfriend camping with us in his tent but last year they both ended up in the trailer when his tent leaked and it got really cold. Hubby ended up out in her tent. It was cozy in the trailer but we had fun. Kind of like a slumber party. Oh and we also had the pet rabbit in the trailer!

We hope to make some sort of mattress for the floor of the trailer in case we all end up in it this year.

We travelled with it the first year we owned it, kids almost 12 and 14 and it was wonderful. So easy to pull and park..... and most of all nothing to set up. On the way home we didn't even bother un-hooking at night. Just dropped the back legs.

One thing our kids don't like about the top bunk is that we have the shelf above the window and it really makes the bunk confining. I'm sure if the shelf was gone they wouldn't mind it.

Mike I'm betting your kids will love it for at least a few more years and once they hit teens they will prefer tents regardless of what size trailer you have.

Nancy

Old 01-31-2003, 08:58 PM   #7

How many in a thirteen foot trailer

hi Mike,
I agree with nancy 100%! 4 in a 13 foot trailer is no problem as long as one of them is light enought to sleep on the top bunk ( I'd say a maximum of around 100 to 110 pounds). One thing is for sure - unless the weather is lousy, you'll only use the trailer for sleeping.
John

Old 01-31-2003, 09:07 PM   #8

crowded?

Thanks for the comments all...

My wife and I have decided to definatly stick it out with the Boler for at least the coming summer. With more time in it under our belts we'll be in a more informed position to decide what to do.

If it works out - I'm not terribly worried about the top bunk being capable of handling the weight. If it comes to that, I'll pull the bunk and rework it to boost the weight carrying capacity (installing a new solid wood reciever on the wall, swapping out for 3/4" plywood, reinforce the plywood with steel, add additional 2/4 supports for the reciever, add supports inside the bench and maybe swap the bunk supports for something a little stronger or add additional front supports.

mkw

Old 01-31-2003, 09:14 PM   #9

Mike--------If I ever learn to get a photo here I have allready done that.My bunk could hold 500lbs easy.:)

Old 01-31-2003, 09:22 PM   #10

500 lbs

Did you crawl in it and test it, Ches? :duck ouch, you started it.
500 lb bunk, now that I'd like to see.

Old 01-31-2003, 09:30 PM   #11

Jana
I said it could HOLD 500lbs. Thats where I sleep. I toss and turn alot.;)