How much is a early 80s Uhaul worth? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2014, 09:32 PM   #1

Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
How much is a early 80s Uhaul worth?

I have been looking around for a early 80s Uhaul 13 footer. What is one going to cost me in very good and clean condition? Havent been on here for a long time been looking around for a Fiber Glass RV but every one I find is spendy. People really hang on to these like there gold!

Thanks in advance!
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Afraid it's a matter of supply and demand - limited supply and growing demand. Price has more to do with condition and location than age. The two best places to get a handle on prices are the classified archives on this site:
Classified Archives - Fiberglass RV
and at:
Uhaul Campers SOLD | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

If you are willing to consider other makes than U-Haul, you might have a better chance of finding something in good condition, reasonably close, and priced fairly.

And yes, we do love our campers here! Good luck in your egg hunt!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:50 AM   #3

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Afraid it's a matter of supply and demand - limited supply and growing demand. Price has more to do with condition and location than age. The two best places to get a handle on prices are the classified archives on this site:
Classified Archives - Fiberglass RV
and at:
Uhaul Campers SOLD | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

If you are willing to consider other makes than U-Haul, you might have a better chance of finding something in good condition, reasonably close, and priced fairly.

And yes, we do love our campers here! Good luck in your egg hunt!
Wow it's all over the board I seen some as low as 2000.00 1983 84s and one 84 went for $7,400.00 ! Better hold on to my butt its going to be a rough ride finding one of these resonable I can tell! hahahahah
Old 09-27-2014, 01:52 AM   #4

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV NUT CASE View Post
Wow it's all over the board I seen some as low as 2000.00 1983 84s and one 84 went for $7,400.00 ! Better hold on to my butt its going to be a rough ride finding one of these resonable I can tell! hahahahah
Where is my manners? Sorry thanks for taking the time to look that up and reply!

The last time I was on here I sure did meet some really nice people!
Old 09-27-2014, 06:51 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
It depends on condition and if the camper has been modified and the common problems repaired. We paid $2000 for ours but it needed work. I would say the average price range for a good one is 5 to 6 thousand. Like many old trailers, they have issues, and many owners/sellers are not aware of them, or in some cases won't reveal them. The Uhaul Facebook group has a list of common problems in the files section at the top of the page, It will help you be a more educated buyer if you find one for sale.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:21 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Many are "Reasonably Priced" ..... for an FGRV.....

I don't know if any makes, for a given time period and condition, are any less expensive, but the Hunters and Campsters are, sometimes, offered at attractive prices by seemingly less savvy sellers.

Basic rule.... Advertised bargains last minutes after being posted.

There is a moderately priced Lil Bigfoot currently listed in Los Angeles Craigslist, but that reposted ad's almost 24 hours old again.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Location of the trailer as will the time of year the trailer is on the market will also dictate the pricing of a trailer. From March onwards the prices will climb. In November/December prices often drop as not a lot of folks are trailer shopping at that time. As far as location goes if the trailer is close to a large urban area the price will be higher than one locate in a more remote location due to few folks willing to take the drive to look at the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #8

Name: lisa
Trailer: U Haul
Texas
I paid 2000 last month for mine and found it locally. I was actually looking for a pop up and on a whim looked at this one posted in a for sale FB group. I immediately fell in love with it and paid her 2000 asking price. She was happy and so was I. Never heard of a u haul camper before I bought it. I guess I got lucky. It is in surprisingly good condition and ready for camping. Been on two trips so far and no problems whatsoever.
lisamc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #9

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamc4 View Post
I paid 2000 last month for mine and found it locally. I was actually looking for a pop up and on a whim looked at this one posted in a for sale FB group. I immediately fell in love with it and paid her 2000 asking price. She was happy and so was I. Never heard of a u haul camper before I bought it. I guess I got lucky. It is in surprisingly good condition and ready for camping. Been on two trips so far and no problems whatsoever.
Your dead on what I can afford right now. That is what I would like to pay about 2000 to 2400 needing some work is ok as long as the structure is sound and no cracks or major problems structure wise. I live in Nevada would be willing to drive to Utah or Idaho with in reason to buy one. $2000 would be my sweet spot. I am kind of getting a feel what they are going for now. Now if I could just find one in that price range. Sounds like you got yourself a good deal there congratulations!
Old 09-27-2014, 11:38 AM   #10

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
It depends on condition and if the camper has been modified and the common problems repaired. We paid $2000 for ours but it needed work. I would say the average price range for a good one is 5 to 6 thousand. Like many old trailers, they have issues, and many owners/sellers are not aware of them, or in some cases won't reveal them. The Uhaul Facebook group has a list of common problems in the files section at the top of the page, It will help you be a more educated buyer if you find one for sale.
That is good advice I will try and find their page and check it out. I want to know any known issues or problems so I can get educated. Thanks
Old 09-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #11

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV NUT CASE View Post
That is good advice I will try and find their page and check it out. I want to know any known issues or problems so I can get educated. Thanks
I tried to find them on Face Book and no cigar. Just found some people on face book with the trailers listing their experences with their U-Hual trailers.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #12

Gotta tell ya... if I saw a half decent U-Haul for $2000, I'd let you know about it, right after I decided to not buy it myself!!! LOL

Old 09-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Facebook U-Haul camper group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/UHaulCamper/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #14

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I went on but could not find the files section you were talking about. Thanks for the link and the replies.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #15

Enthusiasts sites might not be the best place to shop in your budget range.
They tend to: a) Know what they are worth on the open market, b) Are exposing their sale to a knowledgeable group and c) Many tend to think that "Their" rig is worth more than it really is!

I'd stick with Local ads, Craigslist and fiberglass-rv-4sale.com....

Another tip: Give your mail delivery person a picture of what you are looking for and mention you have a nice picture of Ben Franklin looking for a new home. They tend to know where everything is located on their routes.

If you have a pick-up there is a nice molded fiberglass 5th wheel in the Orange County craigslist for $1800.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #16

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
you probably need to be added to the group first.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #17

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon D View Post
you probably need to be added to the group first.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Sharon could be right. It's a closed group and you have to be accepted by an administrator. No big deal, just ask.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:20 AM   #18

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Sharon could be right. It's a closed group and you have to be accepted by an administrator. No big deal, just ask.
Do you think it would be worth my time to join that group? The people on this website are very helpfull and have went out of their way to help me.

What do you think?

I am very happy the way I have been treated on here. People here are very nice and very helpfull. I wish I could meet people in the rat hole town that I live in that were this nice. LOL
Old 09-28-2014, 04:46 AM   #19

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Most of us are in both places, so you have double the nice.
There is lots of help to be had over there also. Right now, there is a solution to the ever-present taillight issue with Uhauls, i.e. no replacement being made and crumbling lens covers.
Rarely are people selling their Uhauls though.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:30 AM   #20

New York
I agree with Cindy, but you will find more info on the Facebook group as there are some very knowledgeable members there that don't post here.

Tags
uhaul