How much to tip for factory delivery? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #15
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I had not previously given the topic any thought, but a tip or kick in the shins might be called for in your situation. I would consider the service and if I felt they went above and beyond would happily tip, if not, not.

Many years ago myself, my wife and new baby daughter flew out on Christmas Eve to visit my Dad. Of course our luggage got misdirected, and was driven out (35 miles) to us the next day (Christmas). I tipped the guy town bucks. My Dad said: "I would not have given the SOB anything"! I said "Dad, he did not loose our luggage, but he did bring it on Christmas day". Now in retrospect I suppose he was well paid at time-and-a-half or double-time for the holiday, but I was pleased to tip the man nonetheless.

If I ever get a new egg delivered I will at least ask the fellow if he would like a Coke or if he needed to use the facilities before he got back on the road.

Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #16
Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Originally Posted by polskasila View Post
How much of a tip is fair for someone delivering (via towing) a new Scamp from Backus, Minnesota (SCAMP) to New Hampshire?
Who is doing the towing, and who is paying them?
If the cost was added to your payment to SCAMP, then they are responsible for paying the driver.

No tip

Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #17
Name: David
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
I agree with Walt

Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I'm far from wealthy now, in retirement, but I do have ample discretionary funds and get some pleasure out of sharing small amounts with people who provide me with good service, doing honest work to get ahead.
And $50 for a $20k trailer is less than one quarter of one percent. Small cost to brighten someone's day.

If you can spare $50 or $100 and the driver did a good job, why not make his or her day a bit better.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #18
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
If the person does a good job, is courteous and provides a professional service a small financial thank you is never wasted. Lot of companies will place more emphasis on fast service than good. After all they won't deliver a bunch of trailers to you so get there, drop it and see ya bye. Or they can put the camper where you wish, give you time to inspect and answer any questions you might have. The second guy collects the same paycheck as the first possibly a little less due to getting fewer runs over time.

Rewarding good service like mercy blesses the giver and the receiver. And last I checked I don't get to take my money with me when I go.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #19
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I always suspect they are making a decent wage or they would be doing something else.

If they start a business and can't figure out what to charge to make a living then they shouldn't be in business to start with.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #20
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Originally Posted by polskasila View Post
Yassah! Where do you hail from? I'm from Nashua!
Central VT, between White River Junction and Killington.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #21
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
This thread is somewhat related to this discussion:
Ship scamp from east coast to west coast
Scamp charges good money for the deliveries, so I think the driver is not starving, but I would be nice to him, anyway, and ask him for a rundown on the camper. He should be prepared for that.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:42 PM   #22
Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina

I live to tip....wait staff. Pizza delivery, you bet? But tipping the delivery of your Scamp? Wouldn't cross my mind.
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:35 AM   #23
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Tipping is another way to say "Thank you" and obviously there are those who do not share that social grace.
Never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:05 AM   #24
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I'm one who thinks tipping has gotten out of hand. I'm amazed at all of the places I see a tip jar these days.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:14 PM   #25
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I made a pot of coffee. Had it ready with some biscuits when they arrrived. Also let them use my phone for a long distance call.
We sat and had a nice conversation about their trip. They had dropped a 13 off in LA area, one in San Jose area and after mine they were off to deliver one in Yosemite.

I sent them away with a full thermos of coffee and my heart felt thanks.
Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:36 AM   #26
Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
Back in the early 60's I had a small paper route--only about 20 deliveries. Each month I had to knock on doors to collect the fee. Not many people tipped, but Mr. Taylor always gave me a dime. Now a dime wasn't much, even back in the early 60's. But who's name do I remember over 50 years later? It wasn't about the money. It was about thoughtfulness and making a young kid feel appreciated.

It's not the size.....
reeves99 is offline   Reply With Quote