How much weight could a shelf hold in a Scamp closet? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
I have one of those roll-around portable air conditioners and I thought about installing it in my Scamp's closet so that I wouldn't have to cut a huge hole in the fiberglass for a window unit. I would be able to cut a much smaller vent hole for the exhaust air from the AC unit. The only way it will fit depth wise is if it's elevated off of the floor about two feet, where the trailer is wider in the middle. If I was to make a shelf with supports on the front and sides bolted through the fiberglass, is the fiberglass strong enough to handle this type of load? The unit weighs about 50 pounds. It seems rather sturdy but I don't know the limits of fiberglass. Thanks for any input.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Rather than bolting through the fiberglass to build a shelf... could you build a shelf with four legs? If it were me, and it's not... I'd think sitting on a table-like support MAY be a better idea. Just my 2-1/2 cents until others jump in...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Our 4.6 cu foot refrigerator -- the "big" 'fridge from Scamp -- sits on a shelf supported on just three sides. Ditto our microwave. Both supported by shelf supports laminated into the fiberglass walls of the cabinet on either side and the cabinet face.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #4

Donna, the legs are an option but I was just trying to make "cleaner looking" shelf, although having bolts through the fiberglass isn't exactly clean looking either!

Peter, laminated-in shelving would be great but I'm not doing any fiberglass work. Yuck!! But it does lead me to believe that I could do the shelf without a problem.

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 06-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I recently bought a hanging shelve that I can use when I need shelves. But we do all kinds of traveling in our Casita so I want to keep the option of having the whole closet for hanging clothes, but when camping camping I have more clothes that need to be folded. The hanging shelve is closed on 3 sides and hangs from the rod, Everything stayed in place during travel. I bought it at Marshall's for $5 but have seen them at Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Wallie World etc...... Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1974 and Burro 1986 17 ft Widebody
Quote:
I have one of those roll-around portable air conditioners and I thought about installing it in my Scamp's closet so that I wouldn't have to cut a huge hole in the fiberglass for a window unit. I would be able to cut a much smaller vent hole for the exhaust air from the AC unit. The only way it will fit depth wise is if it's elevated off of the floor about two feet, where the trailer is wider in the middle. If I was to make a shelf with supports on the front and sides bolted through the fiberglass, is the fiberglass strong enough to handle this type of load? The unit weighs about 50 pounds. It seems rather sturdy but I don't know the limits of fiberglass. Thanks for any input.
Hi Bryan: Could you please tell me where you bought your air conditioner from? I've never heard of this type. Model numbers/store/cost--would be very helpful.-Thanks for any help-Mary Lynn K.
Mary Lynn K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
I recently bought a hanging shelve that I can use when I need shelves. But we do all kinds of traveling in our Casita so I want to keep the option of having the whole closet for hanging clothes, but when camping camping I have more clothes that need to be folded. The hanging shelve is closed on 3 sides and hangs from the rod, Everything stayed in place during travel. I bought it at Marshall's for $5 but have seen them at Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Wallie World etc...... Robin

Hi Robin,

I was looking for one of those, but all of the ones I have found attach to a pole that goes side to side (like in a regular closet). The hanger pole in our Scamp closet is front to back (therefore the shelf unit would hang with the opening to the side). Did you find one that will open to the front on a front to back pole?

Thanks,
Crystal
Crystal B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #8

Crud, this idea isn't going to work. The unit I have is just a little too big to fit in there. I have another idea that I'm going to fly by the folks on this board.

Mary Lynn, it was a unit that I bought at Target a couple of years ago. It was on clearance for $99 with an original cost of $400. It looks exactly like this one but mine doesn't have the heating function.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8798116

1991 Scamp 16'

Tags
scamp, weighing, weight