How *not* to install a fan vent - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Boler (Orange Sunrise 'Clementine')
Registry
I am learning a lot by slowly taking apart my Boler. Today's lesson: how to install a fan vent to ensure the maximum amount of water leakage.

1. Remove original fan
2. Glob silicone in the 40 or so screw holes
3. Drill 40 or so new screw holes
4. Attach the fan with 15 screws
5. Glob silicone around underneath the base
6. Glob white caulk around the outer rim

Voila!

Now sit back and imagine the delighted surprise of the owner who several years later discovers the 80 (seriously! 80!) leaking screw holes in the ceiling.
Amy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
You actually used silicone?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Wow 80....thats gotta be some kind of record. Glad your getting it fixed!
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
You actually used silicone?
I read it James, that Amy is the "Now sit back and imagine the delighted surprise of the owner who several years ..." the person(s) she purchased the trailer from were probably the silicone jerks....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #5

Registry
Actually, it was at least three owners ago. The owner two owners ago is on this forum and I know the handiwork is not his, but the prior people. Poor little mistreated trailer.

Quote:
I read it James, that Amy is the "Now sit back and imagine the delighted surprise of the owner who several years ..." the person(s) she purchased the trailer from were probably the silicone jerks....
Old 02-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)

Augh!!!

I feel your pain. I'm glad you still have your sense of humor intact (at least partially!), as evidenced by your style in this post.

I've saved a spot on my "No Silicone!" bandwagon for you.... come on up! It's nice and dry, and can be maintained without cursing and frustration

(Although, to be fair, it sounds like your "dreaded PO" would have made a terrible installation even with a good caulk.)

One of my favorite things about doing work myself: I know it's done right.

I feel your pain!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #7

Registry
Based on what we've done so far, I don't totally trust my ability to get it done right. I have the desire, but not a lot of skill.

With this, it looked pretty hopeless to get that fan on in a watertight way. So I bit the bullet and hired a fiberglass guy to fill in the big hole (as well as several other little holes, including the ones that held on a steel bar on the roof). I found him on Craigslist and he's having a winter labor special, so it is expensive but not nearly as much as a shop. I am impressed by him and he has been great about giving me free advice about solving other issues with the trailer. I'll probably post some of the tidbits here.

Completely sealing up that whole area is going to be such a relief to me!

Quote:
One of my favorite things about doing work myself: I know it's done right.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Amy,

I don't know you, but I'm going to guess that you will/can/already-have learned the skills to do many maintenance jobs right.

Filling in a large hole in the roof, especially when it involves dealing with work that was not done right in the first place, is a big job. I mean not that it's not doable, but only that I don't think you should judge yourself as incompetent because you chose not to tackle it. Working up to it by repairing rivets and re-sealing windows is more like it

I think you're doing the right thing in getting the roof fixed properly. That bar looked hokey and clearly the vent was not installed well.

You have to know we're dying to see the progress though!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote