Old 08-30-2010, 11:15 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Registry
Question How to apply decals ?

Probably a silly question but before I do this I want to be certain. I just received my replacement decals for our '76 Scamp. There were no instructions as to how best to install them and no tips and tricks. So I see that there are plenty of folks in here who love to share such info. Here's your chance! {Thank You All}

Old 08-31-2010, 12:57 AM   #2

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
What type of decals are they? I mean, do they have backing paper on both sides, like the vinyl lettering/names from a sign shop, or are they more just like "stickers"? We had a good thread a couple of months ago on applying the former type.

Edited to add: Here is a link to the thread from July. I found it by searching "how to apply decal"

Sticking on the decals

Raya

Old 08-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #3

Oregon
Registry
Scamp decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
What type of decals are they? I mean, do they have backing paper on both sides, like the vinyl lettering/names from a sign shop, or are they more just like "stickers"? We had a good thread a couple of months ago on applying the former type.

Edited to add: Here is a link to the thread from July. I found it by searching "how to apply decal"

Sticking on the decals

Raya
The decals are from Scamp. I've sent them an email for info but they don't always respond. The link you provided is excellent. Thank you.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Jayco Talon toyhauler/ 1985 Burro 13 custom.
Registry
After you wash your camper, it is OK to water float the decal on the side of your camper. After you squiggy out the water from the decal, it will be fine. The water floating process is only to aid in the correct placement of the decal so that you do not stick it on crooked. It buys time for amatures like us. I have floated new decals on a 2008 Scamp 16 SD deluxe and squiggied them out and they looked great and have remained on the camper for the past 3 years. That is also how the local sign shop does all of their vehicle signage and windows for store fronts. If you stick them dry, they are stuck where they stick, right or wrong!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #5

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shaffer View Post
After you wash your camper, it is OK to water float the decal on the side of your camper. After you squiggy out the water from the decal, it will be fine. The water floating process is only to aid in the correct placement of the decal so that you do not stick it on crooked. It buys time for amatures like us. I have floated new decals on a 2008 Scamp 16 SD deluxe and squiggied them out and they looked great and have remained on the camper for the past 3 years. That is also how the local sign shop does all of their vehicle signage and windows for store fronts. If you stick them dry, they are stuck where they stick, right or wrong!
Thank you. I think I'm convinced to try the water method. I could do it here today since it's raining. (Kidding) Thank you for the advice.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #6

Oregon
Registry
I hadn't noticed this until today but here's the deal. The decals have a "slick" side, then the decal and then a cloth-like side. When I separate the two outer parts the decal itself stays with the cloth-like side. I would have thought that it would have stuck with the slick side. Any thoughts anyone?

And, it also appears that the decals that Scamp sent to me...the larger ones that read "Scamp" are a good 4 inches longer than the originals on my trailer. I told them that my trailer was a 1976 and I ordered the "old style" where available. But the large Scamp decals are not listed as old style. I'm going to email Scamp about this to see if the actual old style size are available.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 Jayco Talon toyhauler/ 1985 Burro 13 custom.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
I hadn't noticed this until today but here's the deal. The decals have a "slick" side, then the decal and then a cloth-like side. When I separate the two outer parts the decal itself stays with the cloth-like side. I would have thought that it would have stuck with the slick side. Any thoughts anyone?

And, it also appears that the decals that Scamp sent to me...the larger ones that read "Scamp" are a good 4 inches longer than the originals on my trailer. I told them that my trailer was a 1976 and I ordered the "old style" where available. But the large Scamp decals are not listed as old style. I'm going to email Scamp about this to see if the actual old style size are available.
That material is to hold the spacing and to keep the decal from stretching while applying to the camper. After the decal sticks to the camper, the paper fiber backing will pull off pretty easily. You have to let it dry a bit before pulling it off when floating the decal. No big deal, but you do not want to pull the fiber material off before trying to apply the decal or you will have a mess.

Mark