How to apply sealant in 10.3 oz tube - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2019, 08:08 AM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
How to apply sealant in 10.3 oz tube

I just bought some Sikaflex 295 sealant that came in a tube that has the application cone on one end as usual, but on the other end is a metal snap cap that once opened will expose the entire contents of the cartridge. The tube has a small diameter and my caulking guns are too big. What kind of device is used with this type of cartridge? Apparently the sealant will destroy whatever applicator gun I use.

Also the entire tube/cartridge is made of metal.

Looked at a tube of 3M 4200. Same thing.

These do fit a caulking gun I have, but again, I suppose once popped I have to use the whole can and it will ruin the gun, right?
Attached Thumbnails
3MTube.jpg  
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm betting these are similarly made as the older, larger diameter cartridges. There should be a plastic or metal plunger inside that you can see once you pop the can top. That should seal the end. The tip that you cut off depending upon bead size should be able to be sealed off with a nail or tape. Is that making any sense?

john - colorado springs, co
jaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #3

Tennessee
Thanks John. What a relief. Thank you very much for responding. I won't sweat it.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I looked up the cartridge and it seems the plastic nozzle/tip is separate so that makes it even easier to seal the tip end. You can clean out the tip and, if the cartridge didn't come with a small screw on cap for that end, you might be able to use an cap from a tube of toothpaste or something to seal it. Anyway, you'll know once you get started.
jaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:54 PM   #5

Tennessee
Thanks John but it is the OTHER end that was distressing me. I thought that when the pull tab was open you would be left with exposed sealant, like what happens with a grease cartridge. Thanks for clarifying what happens at both ends though.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
You'll need one of these for those 10 oz. tubes. FWIW, Grainger isn't known for being the most inexpensive place to buy stuff. You can probably find one at Lowes or Home Depot cheaper.
https://www.grainger.com/product/NEW...aulk-Gun-5F571
Casita Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Sikaflex 252 is a polyurethane sealant, any exposure to air/moisture will cause it to cure, that is why both ends of the tube are sealed (same as 3m 5200). Just attach the nozzle and open the bottom like you would with a cartridge of grease, a plunger is inside.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:48 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
As mentioned, you should find a "false" bottom under the ring cap. The false cap is not as air tight as the ring cap but once you insert it into the proper sized caulking gun it will be pretty air tight.

After trimming the tip you should have to run a nail into the tip to pierce yet another seal under the tip. Some caulk guns come with an attached wire for use in piercing.

Some people insert a nail to seal the tip after use, some have used a plastic wire nut, I found some soft rubber tips that make a pretty good seal over the tip. None of the methods seem to keep the material as soft as new for all that long.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #9

Tennessee
thanks everyone