HOW-TO Bargman Tumbler Removal/Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello,
I purchased a L-400 parts kit including keys and tumbler.
I do not have the key for the old tumbler.
I can not figure out how to get the clip off of the old tumbler.
Also, the old tumbler seems to be oriented so that neither of the engagement 'ears' is in the slot for the part that pivots (the one that is on the post that is what really needs a fixin) to lock and unlock the device.
It seems to be in a neutral position and I am unable to rotate it from behind with a pliers (so far).
Mitchell
Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
A lot of the locks had the same key (751 was the number, IIRC), so you might just try the new keys or borrow someone's RV or pickup truck canopy/topper key.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:36 AM   #3

Hello,
I figured out how to get the tumbler out and new one in.
What is amusing is that the worn out part which is the locking mechanism will not consistently hold in the locked position.
I see no apparent fix for that other than to have a machinest create a new post.
I'll live with it.
Mitchell
Old 09-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
I also have a lock in which the tab has broken off. Where did you get the parts kit? I was under the impression that this item was no longer available.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #5

Quote:
I also have a lock in which the tab has broken off. Where did you get the parts kit? I was under the impression that this item was no longer available.
Hello James Kent,
I just saw your response.
After many tries on the 'Net', I decided to start calling local rv suppliers and repair.
My first call resulted in a kit that had been sitting on the shelf forever.
However, some of the parts were not the same. This even though the model number was correct.
There must have been some changes over the years they were produced.
I put in the couple of parts that were the correct ones, including the lock cylinder, and cleaned the rest with Barkeeper's Friend.
I greased everything up pretty well.
The post and locking mechanism that pivots on it are both warn and I put an eclip under the top most washer to tighten things up. I punched the head gently. I applied grease to lubricate, but to also help hold the part in the locked position. I am still looking for my lost tub of especially sticky lubricant (almost like silly putty) to apply at the base of the post.
The lock is functioning for now.
Mitchell