How to beef up Trillium 1300 frame? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2007, 12:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I would like to hear from those of you who have beefed up/strengthened a Trillium 1300 frame.

If the frame was left on or was it done frame off?
Materials used and all the rest of the details

Thanks FRED
H. Fred Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
This may not answer all of your questions, but here's a good page to start with if you haven't seen it before:

http://members.shaw.ca/nova1/Dewey.htm
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #3

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...Replace with a new frame is out of question. Here is what I do, and still in the process of reinforcement my 1300Trillium frame. .. Pull frame off the shell. Flip it upside down. One hand with a chisel hammer, other hand with a manifying glass, starting from end to end, every inch to inspect the old welds, rusty/suspected areas and pay attention to those curves, those tubes at heavy traffic/load areas whether they have holes or bent. Then, complete welding those...half-way, unfinished welds, adding steel rails, L shape if necessary. After that, welding extra triangle steel pieces to those important corners(keep weights in mind, no excessive weights added if not neccessary). Welding is not always GOOD for a frame and sometimes bolting is in fact BETTER. Too much weldings on a frame could weaken it's original structure(learn that from 18wheeler manufacturer). After that, I woud flip it back to normal, inspect the top...then might add square tubes/ U shapes as new aluminum cross members in those heavy traffic/load areas. After all done, sanding all or sandblasting depend how rusty it is before painting them. I also disconnect ground wires, sand those areas to the shiny bare, reconnect them and...grease them. One of my pictures..I really appreciated with all inputs/advices because I am actually one of a ....non-professional of any kind. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
IMG420.jpg  
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #4

Trailer:
I think you are absolutely right about checking every weld - cracks can be expected to start appearing after 20 or 30 years.

But I don't think the triangular brackets add any strength to the frame, so I don't see the benefit of adding them. A trailer is effectively a three-wheel vehicle (one at the front and two in the middle), so there isn't nearly so much torsion as you will find in a four-wheeler, which those brackets would help (a little).
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #5

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...In my opinion, if one possesses a weldor, it woudn't hurt to weld a little piece of extra- just my thought, though. Just a look in my home made compact utility trailer with half of cross members are aluminum, Honda civic rims and wheels, R13 rated at 963lbs each. Extended could hold standard 4x8 and with a locked spare wheel. In the photo, it is....babysitting one end as safe-guard for a...1300Trillium shell. Thanks for reading...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG445.jpg  
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
When I had work done on my Trillium 4500 frame, I was shocked to see "those...half-way, unfinished welds". It looked like the cross members were tack welded on. Reese Thoen finished those for me. That guy can weld. Smooth as butter.
The 4" square tube for the bumper was also just sheet metal bent into a square. The seam along the bottom, was just tack welded in like six places. When adding a hitch receiver, and a spare tire holder/bike rack on the back, that sheet metal was replaced by a 4"x4" 1/8" wall HSS, donated by my neighbor. That guy rocks!

The OP has a 1976 Trillium. I believe that it falls into the range of years for the recall.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...00s-46068.html
So a few plates welded to the sides of the horizontal bends in the frame may be in order.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:17 AM   #7

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
So a few plates welded to the sides of the horizontal bends in the frame may be in order.
I reckon I can see the 'flitch plate' (what I was taught to call it) already on this frame.
Attached Thumbnails
trillium-frame-1.JPG  
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #8

Name: Walter
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300; Invertec Falcon 190 class b rv
Washington
Thank you for this information, as it is very timely.

In a month, I will be taking delivery of a '76 Trillium 1300 and want to upgrade the frame, esp front horizontals, without removing the shell. These pictures will give the welder some ideas on how to accomplish this.

The welder did mention that if he replaced the axle, he had some special covers to protect the shell while he is welding.
georgewa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium