How to check electrical system? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #15

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Refusing to repair

The problem often stems from wiring that is unsafe or not code compliant
If as a licensed electrician I repair ,tamper with ,add or subtract from an unsafe or illegal installation, I am obligated to make the installation safe and code compliant . In other words if I mess with it ,I am required to fix it . So often we run all new wiring and leave the existing wiring untouched to avoid legal liability.
I would follow Mr. Miller's advice and change out the converter , it will probably be cheaper and safer in the long run.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #16

Name: Jane
Trailer: Trillium
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
First, did it "Click" when you pushed in on the circuit breaker? If not, try pushing harder, you might even try to rotate it when you are pushing.
If you get interested in installing the PD-4045 let me know as I know several sources that sell it for substantially below retail, like <$175.
Where are you located in CA? I may be able to recommend someone to help.
I live in Bakersfield, CA, in the Central Valley, 100 miles south of Fresno. My zip code is 93308. I appreciate any help you can give me. Many thanks!

Old 02-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #17

Name: Jane
Trailer: Trillium
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The problem often stems from wiring that is unsafe or not code compliant
If as a licensed electrician I repair ,tamper with ,add or subtract from an unsafe or illegal installation, I am obligated to make the installation safe and code compliant . In other words if I mess with it ,I am required to fix it . So often we run all new wiring and leave the existing wiring untouched to avoid legal liability.
I would follow Mr. Miller's advice and change out the converter , it will probably be cheaper and safer in the long run.
I did not know this, but am grateful that there are such codes in place! Sounds like a new converter is the way to go. Now to find someone here in this wasteland who can install it! Thank you again for your help and advice.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #18

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
In Minnesota ,if I rewire your home ,I am obligated to repair any "obviously" illegal or unsafe wiring .If I cannot visually see the unsafe wiring such as hidden in a wall I am not obligated to open the wall to examine the wiring. If the home owner has used lampcord to wire his basement and it is openly visible I have to fix it. I once rewired a home where the owner installed a fuse panel in the bathroom directly above the bathtub . He hung a towel over the panel so it was not visible without moving the towel . The homeowner argued that the panel did not need to be removed because it was not visible when the towel was in place.
His reasoning did not fly with me or the inspector.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Personally, the 120v mini-breaker looks broken to me in terms of the button is not sticking out enough so that when you press the button the buttons goes in enough to reset breaker.

I'm basing this on the pictures that David posted in this earlier thread.
Trillium POwer Converter . The buttons on his all seem to protrude some. If the button IS broken on yours it may not reset properly anyway, anyhow.

I see that your unit has a whopping 9A output for DC. I think that says something about the back-to-nature style of camping that the Trillium was intended for at the time of manufacture. Upgrading the converter would certainly allow more 12v gadgets if that turns out to be important for you. No shame in a minimalist camping style.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Help in Bakersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane in California View Post
I live in Bakersfield, CA, in the Central Valley, 100 miles south of Fresno. My zip code is 93308. I appreciate any help you can give me. Many thanks!
I asked around and couldn't find any refereb=nces for RV guys in your area, sorry. I'm in Riverside, just a tad to far to jump over one afternoon.

Why don't you put up a fresh post with the title "Need Help in Bakersfield, CA", coul d well be some in that area that hasn't been following your posts that can help out.

BTW: Did you go back and try pushing the breaker again? If the end seems broken off, us the end of a ball point pens plastic cap to push on it. That worked on Apollo-11 as I recall the story

Tags
electrical