how to circulate a/c - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #21

Name: Gretchen
Trailer: Coachman Freedom Express
Tennessee
WOW WOW WOW Tammie, Your quilts are gorgeous!!!!! Looks like we had the same blue themed idea gradation of hues. I was thinking beach, sand, shallow to deep water! I am quilting that one now. Will take me about a year doing an hour or two each night. Am picking simpler peicing as the quilting for me is the fun part. Can't bring myself to machine one. I'll have to look at Kaffee Fassett. Is your round quilt a big stack and whack?

Its easy to hand quilt when you camp. No need for big frames, just pin baste, start in the middle with a lap size hoop and quilt your way out. Using a super small needle (size 12) helps a great deal and learning to 'rock the needle' a must. When I was in my 30's I went to the local senior center where I knew they quilted and asked the kind ladies if I could sit with them and learn. They were dear ladies and quickly taught me the right way. it was very un natural at first, but they said to stick with it and in a few hours I was rocking my needle! Like learning to ride a bike, or back a camper, have not got that down yet!

Ever thought of doing small wall hung quilts for the road??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammie View Post
Hi Gretchen,
Yes, I'm a "quoarder" and especially love batiks, but admit to a little Kaffe Fassett crush, as well. It's all about color, and the more, the better!
I love your quilt and the colors- is it for Fern? I haven't finished one for Esio yet. Even though I'm a machine quilter, it's mostly free-motion and I'm pretty slow. My machine has been known to go on camping trips with us, but some hand quilting would be nice.

If you venture west, Stitcher's Garden is just off I-65, and you could easily spend all day and not see all the fabric. Even more than Mary Jo's in Gastonia, NC, maybe not too far from you? Thanks for telling me about Crossville and Wytheville- looks like it'll be an Egg Roll Shop Hop!

Here's a picture of the king-sized quilt that took about 8 years to finish... Now it's wallhangings for me.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #22

Name: Tammie
Trailer: ParkLiner
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzu Asheville View Post
Beautiful quilts Gretchen and Tammy!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Thank you, Leslie! Asheville is close to my heart, and you have some great quilting shops like Tipsy Star and Asheville Cotton. I found some beautiful fabrics there to make a wallhanging for the Rathbun Center during a month-long stay with my mom at Mission. We are so grateful for her recovery and for the care we received in your beautiful city.
I look forward to coming back, this time in our North Carolina-born ParkLiner!
Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #23

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Alto R1723
North Carolina
I'm glad you had a good experience in Asheville. A dear friend used to own another quilt shop here, Piece Gardens, but she closed it a few years ago to spend more time with her family.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Kudzu Asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #24

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
WOW WOW WOW Tammie, Your quilts are gorgeous!!!!! Looks like we had the same blue themed idea gradation of hues. I was thinking beach, sand, shallow to deep water! I am quilting that one now. Will take me about a year doing an hour or two each night. Am picking simpler peicing as the quilting for me is the fun part. Can't bring myself to machine one. I'll have to look at Kaffee Fassett. Is your round quilt a big stack and whack?

Its easy to hand quilt when you camp. No need for big frames, just pin baste, start in the middle with a lap size hoop and quilt your way out. Using a super small needle (size 12) helps a great deal and learning to 'rock the needle' a must. When I was in my 30's I went to the local senior center where I knew they quilted and asked the kind ladies if I could sit with them and learn. They were dear ladies and quickly taught me the right way. it was very un natural at first, but they said to stick with it and in a few hours I was rocking my needle! Like learning to ride a bike, or back a camper, have not got that down yet!

Ever thought of doing small wall hung quilts for the road??
Gracias, Gretchen!
My thoughts were exactly as you said, from the pale shallow water to deep cobalt. The pattern was in a book called "Big and Easy". Well, they got the first part right! I started piecing it the week my husband and son were on a Boy Scout sailing trip in the Keys- made me feel like I was right there in that turquoise water.
The round one was made of strips pieced top to bottom, then cut into long wedges with a 2 foot, 10 degree ruler. All Kaffe Fassett's fabrics. He says "Why use just one shade of red when you can use seventeen?" I would LOVE to take one of his classes.
I've been lucky to be here in Birmingham in a guild with close to 200 members. When I joined in 1999, I'd never sewn on a machine at all, but there were plenty of willing teachers. At every month's meeting, I'm in awe of the quilts brought in for Show&Tell. So much talent there and so much to learn. I'll give hand quilting a try- no big orange extension cord needed.
Well, Joel just noticed there's not much trailer talk herebut hey, it IS Gretchen's "thread"
Wonder what Gail is up to?
Love our ParkLiner community!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:09 AM   #25

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Speaking of Asheville, Gail has relatives there. We hope to get down there and visit sometime.

I have to look around and see if I can find pics of the quilt her and her sisters and cousins are working on for an award-winning cheerleader niece. The quilt incorporates cheerleader silhouettes that Gail devised and produced. She loves this stuff, and I'm sure would fit right in with you ParkLiner girls!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #26

Alabama
The Fiber Lasses!
Old 06-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #27

Name: Gretchen
Trailer: Coachman Freedom Express
Tennessee
Dare I say, you have me in stitches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammie View Post
The Fiber Lasses!
Old 06-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #28

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Yuk, yuk, yuk. You two are funny. If I ever make it home today, I'll see if I can get some pics. If not tonight, soon. I'm a busy guy!
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote