How to clean out mildew smell? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #1

Name: Anne
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
How to clean out mildew smell?

Just brought home a Compact II. It has the mildewy smell that I associate with older trailers. Supposedly, it has been garaged and never leaked except briefly from a window that was then siliconed. I plan to wipe it down inside, get rid of cushions, and probably paint the woodwork. Any suggestions of the best way to eliminate the odor inside?
Fire-N-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Ozone generator.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #3

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Getting rid of cushions is a good start. Do you visibly see any mold or mildew? When you wipe down, might wanna use a product called Concrobium. At Home Depot in spray bottle. No bleach in it but it does kill mold and mildew down to the root if you will. You don't need to rinse and it continues working.

If you suspect it in cabinets I'd cover with Kilz primer first.

Just some suggestions you may wish to try or not!
Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Kanaberra Jell
Kanberra Gel - Home
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Really, you're dumping the cushions? Those can be cleaned (sans upholstery) by throwing in a kiddy pool and doing the "grape stomp" with vinegar or bleach/soap. Foam (can be) expensive to replace. Save your money... spend it on fuel or site fees! Try FREE first, move to the more expensive if you need. But just don't think you need to throw out and replace! YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #6

California
Wow! I did not know about those two products, I will be getting which ever I can find locally.
I don't see visible mold, the quilted liner looks perfect, although needs a wipe down. I was thinking bleach but not wanting to corrode metal fittings. About the cushions, I was thinking 40 years of who knows what!?? But the kiddy pool is an idea. It is free, and the upholstery looks good.
I am planning to make a twin bed sized foam bed at the back, which would give me about 22 inch seats on both sides at the front and get rid of the big table. That way I have a little more aisle room and maybe more room to swing my legs out for the frequent night visits to the head. I want to keep a bed made up, but also have a seat for reading and computer work. I will have to see if there is a way to configure the existing cushions, if I can get them smelling good. A couple days in the Cali sun might help!
Thank-you for the suggestions. I will let you know how it works.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 AM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Get an ozone generator, put it in the closed up camper and turn it on high for a few days! Then everything will smell fresh! Problem solved!

Carl
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:18 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
I would dig deep as possible into the cabinets, bath and kitchen areas to uncover possible mold or mildew growth. Mildew is not as serious a problem as mold and there are many types of each.

I sprayed three sides of a house with Oxyclean then pressure washed to remove a massive amount of mildew on latex paint. Concrobium was a consideration but Oxyclean was on the shelf. Don't recall the details and correct me if I'm wrong, the method in which bleach, Concrobium and Oxyclean kills mold and mildew are similar. Oxy should be rinsed after use though if used on fabric imho.

If you paint, there are products with mildewcide premixed, or additives you mix your self like Walla Walla. Kilz and Zinsser Bulls-Eye are the go-to primers.
Roger M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #9

California
Thinking of spray painting entire interior, except glass and metal parts. Has anyone painted the quilted foam wall covering?
So far have removed cushions, washed walls with vinegar and baking soda, sprayed all surfaces with Concrobium and let dry. No change in odor. I did find places where water has been. A friend will help me with his paint sprayer and suggests quality flat paint that includes primer ( because it sticks to surfaces better than gloss) and then seal with a clear sealer.
Does an ionizer PERMANENTLY eliminate odor if the source is not sealed?