How to find dimensions / measurements / specifications? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #1

Name: Liv
Trailer: currently shopping
Saskatchewan
Question How to find dimensions / measurements / specifications?

My husband is tall. What are good fiberglass campers for taller people? We are a family of four.

Im right now wanting to go look at a 1976 Ventura 13 foot. But how wide are they, or better yet, how long are the bed(s)?

I would like to be able to know how to find dimensions, measurements, and specifications before running around the province looking at trailers. Thank you!
livil54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:57 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
By TALL, if you mean over 6'2" your choices for FGRV's will be very limited and, FWIW, going to look at that Ventura may do damage rather than help your quest.

Most FGRV's sleep east-west, meaning side to side, and most top out at about 74" wall-to-wall

There are a few with north-south sleeping. meaning front to back.

Off the top of my head, considering your location, I would be looking at BigFoot trailers as several floor plans have both arrangements for a total of 4 sleeping spaces. Start with the 17' and work up.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #3

Saskatchewan
Thank you!
Old 07-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Liv, another thing you may want to do is go to the companies web sites and pull up the specs for each trailer. That gives you a look at the floor plans also. The only thing that will be wrong will be the weights listed. They are always 500# or more light.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #5

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Liv, another thing you may want to do is go to the companies web sites and pull up the specs for each trailer. That gives you a look at the floor plans also. The only thing that will be wrong will be the weights listed. They are always 500# or more light.
So they post old manuals and specs from days-gone-by trailers?
I found a Bigfoot for sale that's 1986 15' but it looks bigger than that. Did they even make a 15'?
Old 07-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #6

Never heard of a 15' Bigfoot, but if someone was measuring just the body a 17' could d be called a 15'. BTW: The 17' Bigfoot has both a north-south and an east west bed. An excellent floor plan.

Bigfoot also built the Lil'Bigfoot, a 13'ers about the same size as the 13' Scamp.

As far as classic trailer dimensions, the few builders still in business would be of little help.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #7

Saskatchewan
Thanks!!
Old 07-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Liv, finding accurate data on these trailers, especially the older ones no longer being manufactured, isn't easy.

A tall person has to deal with two different issues: interior height and bed length. By most accounts (I am not tall, so I am going by others' statements) the most important is bed length. Here is a helpful thread on Bed Sizes of various trailers.

Interior height may be somewhat less important because you don't spend a lot of time walking around or standing upright inside a small trailer. Most of the time you're sitting, lying down, or bending over the galley. Some people seem not to mind a bit of stooping, others do. Unfortunately, I have not run across a thread that compiles interior height data.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
... Unfortunately, I have not run across a thread that compiles interior height data.
It's an old thread, but hopefully has value Liv. Maybe folks would like to continue the thread by adding new information?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ear-36840.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Sorry Liv, I should have said for currently built trailers. But you are getting some answers from folks.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's an old thread, but hopefully has value Liv. Maybe folks would like to continue the thread by adding new information?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ear-36840.html
Thanks, Donna. Hadn't seen that one before. Looks like it could use some additions. I don't even see a post-fire Scamp 13 in the data, so I'd better get out my measuring tape.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #12

Saskatchewan
Thank you
Old 07-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #13

Saskatchewan
Thanks!
Old 07-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #14

Name: Jessie & Carl
Trailer: Scamp her name is Mae West
Missouri
since it will usually be just my husband and me, our 19' Scamp upper queen bed has been turned 'sideways' using the top bunk opened, and adding an extra 4" foam cut to fit the curves, extending the sleeping space to a king. My husband is 6'1", and I am almost 6', or was until age began creeping through my bones! My 1st experiment with sheeting was to cut the king fitted sheet with a slit at the curve until I could get it to fit to the bottom. I am going to try to use two top sheets when our remodel is complete, and our things are back in order. so it is possible!
JessieJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #15

Saskatchewan
Hi Janet, What year is your Scamp?
Old 07-06-2015, 06:27 AM   #16

Name: Jessie & Carl
Trailer: Scamp her name is Mae West
Missouri
Scamp & big owners

Our Scamp is an '84. We picked Mae West up this summer in Kentucky, knowing nothing about Fiberglass RV's. We loved the idea of pulling her with our 4cyl '88 toyota. Alas, my husband only wanted to use the truck in SW Missouri, and I have dreams of traveling a LOT farther!.
So, as in the book series, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, we got a larger truck (much larger, 2006 Toyota Tundra), and this has created a snowball-effect of adjustments, repairs, and improvements!
The truck it much higher, and wider, so we needed a different hitch set-up, and Mae West had to be raised, as well. We called this her face lift and tummy tuck!
Our first real outing, on pretty bad OK roads, she bounced all over, so we got with our tire guy and got real trailer tires with a good sidewall. In changing the tires and checking the brakes, it was discovered that whoever packed the wheel bearings had used a hammer on the bearings for some reason, and had also just globbed grease in places. Oh, my!
Mae West now rides down the road with smooth dignity. Well, except for her need for exfoliation and polish. So, using a magic eraser product, as well as a marine abrasion/wax product from 3M, we are in process of cleaning her exterior. BUT, I had a double mastectomy 5 years ago, and do not have enough strength in my arms & chest wall to polish the product, SO, we had to purchase a polshing tool. No big, since the gelcoat is pretty much gone at her age, and this will be an ongoing process.
On our way home from KY with her, my husband was completely unhappy with the sleeping arrangements, hence the previous post about altering the bed situation. I will post remodel pictures, but most everything is ON the bed right now as our young techie-friend, Shawn, is replumbing with PEX, and rewiring for appropriate guage for the a/c (aftermarket, and really too much cool for our rig), and running more 12 volt for LED in all the cabinets, entry light. Oh, we also had to replace the 'inverter'. Shawn wanted some very expensive piece that would allow us to stop and make coffee along the road (!). We opted for the under $200 option, as opposed to the $8-900 luxury!
We will be removing the original carpet as soon as he is finished inside (it is in excellent shape, but I abhor carpet in a home, never-the-less living so closely to the outdoors and dirt, especially other people's), and we are incorporating shelving & storage where the original heater was (and other places), as it was defunct; we will use alternate heating, for now, probably one of those small oil radiators, and a shelf-model small electric ceramic heater, until we decide how much cooler/cold weather we will be facing in Mae West. Shawn has suggested a heat-strip in the a/c, but in searching on this forum, it does not really seem to be worth the expense of purchase, and installation, for the benefit received.

The next big test is of the tanks. The fresh water (into which he installed a large clean-out port so the slimey stuff can be easily wiped away), is solid, and holding water. The faucets need new seats, but since the fixtures are original, and brass, well worth the repairs!

And my dear husband has agreed to replace the cabinet doors, which all feel swollen and greasy along the edges after 31 years of humidity and use. He also rebuilt the dining table, as in our increased years (and some increase of girth), it was difficult to get into the seating area! I am so pleased with what our consultation created! It is still easily incorporated into a bed (for when I do fiber/craft shows with my friends, or travel around SW MO, facilitation study circles, as was the impetus for this whole venture, taking co-facilitators along as Carl, my husband is not always available).
Soooo, if you purchase an older unit, be prepared for, if not a remodel, at least ongoing surprise repairs (which we are trying to avoid with our major overhaul).
And her name; well, she is very curvy, and a Scamp, and so was Mae West! Our Toyota is named Lennie. Short story longer, in Mae's early career, she was chauffeured by Jerry Orbach, who played Lennie in Law & Order. Jerry just did not fit the Toyota for a name, but Lennie was perfect!
JessieJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:32 AM   #17

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Parkliner has very high ceilings for a small trailer (maybe 6'2", maybe more) with a queen size bed, and advertised dry weight of 2100#s.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:37 AM   #18

Arizona
Registry
The Scamp 19 Janet described is a small fifth wheel, so it requires a pick-up truck. If that might work for you, it would give you everything you asked for. You'd have to use the loft longways, as she describes, so it'd have to be the Standard version, not a Deluxe. Escape also makes a small fifth wheel with a large, longways loft bed for a tall person and a convertible dinette/double bed for the kids. Older Bigfoot fifth wheels come up every now and then with a similar layout.

Honestly, I can't come up with too many choices in bumper pull styles. The Bigfoot 17s Bob mentioned came first to my mind as well. Their limitation is that both the beds are fairly narrow (44" and 48" IIRC). A Parkliner with the bunk option would work but be hard to find. A Casita 17 Liberty Standard has bunks in front (no bath) and a huge longways bed in back. Very rare (I've never seen one in that configuration) and likely far from you. I can't think of anything in the 13' category that can sleep four with one unusually tall.

I did run across this: 1985 15' Beachcomber Trailer | MacKenzie, BC, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale. The corner dinette bed looks fairly narrow for two, but since it is longways, you could build a flip out extension for the tall person if needed.

Which all leads to... What kind of a tow vehicle are you planning to use? That could narrow things down quite a bit. What age/condition/price range are we talking about?
Old 07-06-2015, 08:14 AM   #19

There is also a single axle BigFoot 5th wheel built in the 80's and early 90's that has a huge master bed area and a super floorplan. There was one for sale in OR earlier this year.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #20
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Parkliner has very high ceilings for a small trailer (maybe 6'2", maybe more) with a queen size bed, and advertised dry weight of 2100#s.

Frank
Frank, it's 6'5" at least as evidenced by my wife and nephew
Sid
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote