How to find dimensions / measurements / specifications? - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #1

Name: Liv
Trailer: currently shopping
Saskatchewan
Question How to find dimensions / measurements / specifications?

My husband is tall. What are good fiberglass campers for taller people? We are a family of four.

Im right now wanting to go look at a 1976 Ventura 13 foot. But how wide are they, or better yet, how long are the bed(s)?

I would like to be able to know how to find dimensions, measurements, and specifications before running around the province looking at trailers. Thank you!

Old 07-05-2015, 03:57 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
By TALL, if you mean over 6'2" your choices for FGRV's will be very limited and, FWIW, going to look at that Ventura may do damage rather than help your quest.

Most FGRV's sleep east-west, meaning side to side, and most top out at about 74" wall-to-wall

There are a few with north-south sleeping. meaning front to back.

Off the top of my head, considering your location, I would be looking at BigFoot trailers as several floor plans have both arrangements for a total of 4 sleeping spaces. Start with the 17' and work up.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #3

Saskatchewan
Thank you!
Old 07-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Liv, another thing you may want to do is go to the companies web sites and pull up the specs for each trailer. That gives you a look at the floor plans also. The only thing that will be wrong will be the weights listed. They are always 500# or more light.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #5

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Liv, another thing you may want to do is go to the companies web sites and pull up the specs for each trailer. That gives you a look at the floor plans also. The only thing that will be wrong will be the weights listed. They are always 500# or more light.
So they post old manuals and specs from days-gone-by trailers?
I found a Bigfoot for sale that's 1986 15' but it looks bigger than that. Did they even make a 15'?
Old 07-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Never heard of a 15' Bigfoot, but if someone was measuring just the body a 17' could d be called a 15'. BTW: The 17' Bigfoot has both a north-south and an east west bed. An excellent floor plan.

Bigfoot also built the Lil'Bigfoot, a 13'ers about the same size as the 13' Scamp.

As far as classic trailer dimensions, the few builders still in business would be of little help.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #7

Saskatchewan
Thanks!!
Old 07-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Liv, finding accurate data on these trailers, especially the older ones no longer being manufactured, isn't easy.

A tall person has to deal with two different issues: interior height and bed length. By most accounts (I am not tall, so I am going by others' statements) the most important is bed length. Here is a helpful thread on Bed Sizes of various trailers.

Interior height may be somewhat less important because you don't spend a lot of time walking around or standing upright inside a small trailer. Most of the time you're sitting, lying down, or bending over the galley. Some people seem not to mind a bit of stooping, others do. Unfortunately, I have not run across a thread that compiles interior height data.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #9

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
... Unfortunately, I have not run across a thread that compiles interior height data.
It's an old thread, but hopefully has value Liv. Maybe folks would like to continue the thread by adding new information?

Inside Height by Trailer Brand/Model and Year
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Sorry Liv, I should have said for currently built trailers. But you are getting some answers from folks.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's an old thread, but hopefully has value Liv. Maybe folks would like to continue the thread by adding new information?

Inside Height by Trailer Brand/Model and Year
Thanks, Donna. Hadn't seen that one before. Looks like it could use some additions. I don't even see a post-fire Scamp 13 in the data, so I'd better get out my measuring tape.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #12

Saskatchewan
Thank you
Old 07-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #13

Saskatchewan
Thanks!
Old 07-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #14

Name: Jessie & Carl
Trailer: Scamp her name is Mae West
Missouri
since it will usually be just my husband and me, our 19' Scamp upper queen bed has been turned 'sideways' using the top bunk opened, and adding an extra 4" foam cut to fit the curves, extending the sleeping space to a king. My husband is 6'1", and I am almost 6', or was until age began creeping through my bones! My 1st experiment with sheeting was to cut the king fitted sheet with a slit at the curve until I could get it to fit to the bottom. I am going to try to use two top sheets when our remodel is complete, and our things are back in order. so it is possible!