How to find replacement for 1998 Scamp 13' large ceiling vent - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #1

Name: Katie
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
How to find replacement for 1998 Scamp 13' large ceiling vent

My 1998 Scamp 13' has a crack in the large escape roof vent. The service repair guy said they don't make them anymore, and the only one I could order is significantly larger and would require cutting the whole bigger. Does anyone know anything about this? Would it be worth replacing with a new vent or finding a replacement? Thanks!!
katidesc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by katidesc13 View Post
My 1998 Scamp 13' has a crack in the large escape roof vent. The service repair guy said they don't make them anymore, and the only one I could order is significantly larger and would require cutting the whole bigger. Does anyone know anything about this? Would it be worth replacing with a new vent or finding a replacement? Thanks!!
AFAIK, they have been a standard 14X22 Forever. Call Scamp ...
1(800)346-4962
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #3

Name: Katie
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Floyd, thanks for the info. The Scamp website only shows a 15x22 vent lid. I've sent them an email to clarify as paying $40 for the vent lid sounds much better than the $300 the RV tech was thinking.
katidesc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
On their on line Parts store under Appliances they actually have 3 different sizes of vents Lids only: 15" x 22", 17" x 24" and 18" x 25",
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
When my 1990 Scamp lid cracked, I simply used a strip of sealing tape used for RV roofs. It has been fine for 2 years. I too had puzzled about finding the right size. My solution might not work if the entire unit is split.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Better to just call, this is Scamp and while they build a heck of a trailer they are stuck in the 70's, maybe early 80's tech wise. They have what you need, or did earlier this year when I ordered one. And the usual advice when ordering from Scamp is to get everything and anything you think you might need to make the (high) shipping worthwhile.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
When my 1990 Scamp lid cracked, I simply used a strip of sealing tape used for RV roofs. It has been fine for 2 years. I too had puzzled about finding the right size. My solution might not work if the entire unit is split.
John if its the older Jenson type its my understanding they are not made any more so if you have a Scamp with one you might want to grab a new lid for it from Scamp while they still have in stock incase your quick fix fails.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #8

Registry
I feel blessed, not having an escape hatch on my Scamp. The good thing about the small one is that it would be easy to convert to a standard vent.
After narrowing the opening and installing a standard vent you could put a light on each side to give it a nice finished look on the inside.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I feel blessed, not having an escape hatch on my Scamp.
I rather like the large one on mine. I can open it right up and stand up through it to clean and wax the roof or replace rivets etc much easier/safer than having to stand on a large ladder and lean across the top of the trailer.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I rather like the large one on mine. I can open it right up and stand up through it to clean and wax the roof or replace rivets etc much easier/safer than having to stand on a large ladder and lean across the top of the trailer.
That is a good point...
I have a rollabout staircase in my shop. I bought it from a bookstore which was going out of business. It works great for Scamp roof access as well as for access to the row of shelves at the eight foot line on the shop wall.
On a front bath 13D with cabinets all around plus A/C, a fantastic fan, antenna, and awning on the roof there's no room for an escape hatch and not much left to wax up there anyway!

Tags
scamp