How to fit a 7'4" high egg into 6'11" garage - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-15-2008, 10:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
Quote:
Lloyd, will you run into a rafter problem if you try to just create a larger opening? My garage is finished inside.... I don't think even if I got the door opening tall enough, I could get a tall trailer inside.
Donna, once I get the figure on the height of a Trillium with an AC, I can ask a remodeler to come by and look the job over to see if it is possible. If I ruins the intergrity of the house, I wouldn't do it. I just hate having to pay to store it somewhere. Before I buy one, I better get this part figured out. Thanks for the heads up on the rafters.

Lloyd

Old 09-15-2008, 10:23 PM   #16

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
I have a similar problem and have been thinking about this one for a while.

My question is this: for those just backing up the trailer into a garage, would there be any serious consequences if one was to simply take off the wheels and roll the trailer directly on the hubs? After all, it's the same weight, and we're talking about a few feet here - we're not exactly driving around the block with it, and jacks can be used once the trailer gets to its final position. Any expert opinions? With a piece of carpet, maybe?
Daniel, on our Trillium the square mounting bracket which is fastened to the backing plate of our wheels hangs down BELOW the bare wheel hub, so one could NOT roll (ours at least) a Trillium anywhere because of this dragging part issue.

I think on Wednesday I will venture down off the mountain here and head into the big city to visit my favorite tire shop.
I'll be L King for either a 14 or (preferably 13") sacraficial pair of wheels to mount to the hubs. This 'should' effectively lower the height by the size of the (now mounted) six ply tires.
I'm hoping this TRICK will reduce the trailers overall height by at least 4 or maybe 4 1/2"s.... so down from 7'5" to maybe 7'1 1/2" ???

The rolling distance out (and in) of whatever garage we have when we move shouldn't be more than 20' or sooo. This seems thus far the easiest way to solve our storage (height) problem(s).

Old 09-15-2008, 11:41 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Doug, if you had brakes, I believe the brake drum would be bigger than the brake flange plate, so the drum would hit the ground first.

The drawback to rolling on the brake drums is getting a jack under the frame with the frame so low. That may or may not be a problem with different trailer brands. This is becoming a large problem because I think the trend is towards lower garages.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #18

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Doug...How bout a trip to the junkyard for a pair of donut spares of the correct bolt pattern and size??? Mucho savings for that short trip into the garage!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 09-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #19

Registry
....ahhh yes, donut spares!!!
MOST auto dismantelers (wreckers) are more than willing to GIVE these things away. Good tip, our 'yard' is on the way to the 'tyre shope' .....no need to make two trips on a retirees pension.

Most of the townhouses we've looked into lately (with double garages) have very tiny areas, many with 7' high openings and 19 1/2' deep. My pick-up is 19' bumper to bumper.

I would imagine that having brakes (in this case) might be a detrement if you were looking to roll a trailer around on the hubs only. I don't think I'd be doing this for fear of damaging the hub or the brake lining.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1986
Quote:
....ahhh yes, donut spares!!!
MOST auto dismantelers (wreckers) are more than willing to GIVE these things away. Good tip, our 'yard' is on the way to the 'tyre shope' .....no need to make two trips on a retirees pension.

Most of the townhouses we've looked into lately (with double garages) have very tiny areas, many with 7' high openings and 19 1/2' deep. My pick-up is 19' bumper to bumper.

I would imagine that having brakes (in this case) might be a detrement if you were looking to roll a trailer around on the hubs only. I don't think I'd be doing this for fear of damaging the hub or the brake lining.
My 13ft. Scamp fits in a 7" foot garage. I removed a piece of trim from the garage opening and let enough air out of the tires to sneek it in.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #21

Quote:
My 13ft. Scamp fits in a 7" foot garage. I removed a piece of trim from the garage opening and let enough air out of the tires to sneek it in.
Mr. Phil, but what if your 13ft. Scamp had an AC on top,,,,would you still get it in or would you need to take an extra 9-12 inches off?

Lloyd
Old 09-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #22

Registry
Lloyd, help me out a little on this, as I'm a little confused....
Your trailer is 7'4" AND has an a/c on the roof, OR is the 7'4" the height WITH a/c on the roof?

IF you have a 7'4" high trailer and are trying to fit it through a 6'11" opening thats only a difference of 5 inches (Canadian speaking, LOL) What size wheels are you using 13's or 14's? There is 1/2" difference in height there. Soft wall tires or 6 plys? You can loose some inches there by deflating the tires (even IF you have to loose ALL the air). If you do totally deflate the tires be sure to move the trailer very slowly and don't try to turn it (with no air in the tires) as this will cause the tires bead to break and will not be able to properly re-inflate them.

If ALL else fails and you REALLY need to get it in that garage, connect it back up to your tow vehicle, back CAREFULLY toward the garage door (so it lines up JUST RIGHT) then pull forward carefully about 10 feet.

Put the tow vehicle into reverse gear and just FLOOR IT!!!

NO!!! No!! no!.....I'm only joshing with you on the reverse gear move Lloyd!!!
Reconstructing the garage door opening seems a little brutal unless you can afford major surgery onit.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:59 PM   #23

Doug, had a good laugh there!! Seriously, the Trill is 7"4" without the AC. I haven't checked but it must 9-12 in. high, the AC that is. All that being said I really think I may need to alter the garage. It may end up being cheaper than storing it somewhere.

Thanks for thinking for me....

Lloyd
Old 09-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #24

Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Quote:
Hi: Doug...How bout a trip to the junkyard for a pair of donut spares of the correct bolt pattern and size??? Mucho savings for that short trip into the garage!!!
I like that idea too... Doug let us know if this works, will ya?

I just can't convince myself to reuse that contraption I made last year using fridge casters.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #25

Registry
Yesterday I tried removing the wheels (these were the custom wheels that HAD to come off for storage anyhow). I used one jack on the rear bumper and lifted the Egg up high enuff to get both wheels off. This left the trailer swaying somewhat as the jack was NOT eggsackerly centered under the rear bumper. None the less, I removed both wheels and tried positioning the car dolleys under either side of the axle. It seemed no matter how/which way I placed them, it looked like they would NOT work right under the load exerted by the trailer. The axle either had to rest on one of the two (supporting) steel rods or sat directly onto the raised areas over the coaster wheels. Neither looked like it was going to be too successful. I tried lowering the trailer (ever so slowly) down, but it was becoming apparent that THIS idea wasn't going to succeed. I did manage to re n re the custom mags with the mazda truck rims with matching tires on it. I also measured the sidewall height of the Mazda rims which are same diameter as the custom rims and the tires are also part of the matched set (4tires) of the 6 plys on the custom rims. The sidewall height is 4 n 1/2 inches. SO....IF I can find some 13" sacraficial rims, the 1/2" difference in height between the 13's and 14's combined with not having the tires mounted SHOULD give me a clearance of about 5 inches. Thus, 7'4" minus 5" = 6'11" in height (again this is Canadian, LOL!!) which just MIGHT clear some garage door openings in townhouses we are scoping out!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 12:35 AM   #26

For some reason that I can't recall right now, I went with the bare 12" wheels instead of bare 13" wheels (might be I couldn't find any 13" after calling some wrecking yards).

I did notice while watching a neighbor put a spare on his Mini Cooper that the spare had several different bolt-hole drillings so it was a 'one size fitz all' wheel, but I don't recall the diameter.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #27

Registry
The wheels that came with our Egg when we adopted it were dual pattern 14's as well, Dorf/G.M.

Can't for the life of me figure out why someone would need a dual bolt pattern wheel like that UNLESS their tow vehicle was a G.M. of some sort!!!
Old 09-18-2008, 12:54 AM   #28

There may be a Euro wheel pattern that matches the other bolt set; Cooper is German and Dorf is a German word.

Tags
eggcamper